Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing Motorbikes

Importing Motorbikes

Old May 6th 2011, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Smithydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing Motorbikes

Quick question to all those bikers out there. If you could move again, would you have taken your motorbike with you on your migration to OZ?

Is it worth the hassle?

Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:45 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorbikes

Originally Posted by Smithydog
Quick question to all those bikers out there. If you could move again, would you have taken your motorbike with you on your migration to OZ?

Is it worth the hassle?

Cheers
late reply, but maybe it will nudge a few more to post as well

I bought over here, because the bike I wanted was never an official import in Holland where I was living at the time, so had no choice.

Personally I would do the same whatever the situation. I actually bought my bike via the internet before arriving, and picked it up 2 days after arriving, and 10 days after setting foot in the country I was on a 3000km round trip in 5 days with fellow aussie bikers.

I couldnt face the fact that I wouldnt be able to ride for maybe 3 months while the bike was being shipped & cleared. (it also gives you an excuse to buy a new bike )

Shipping a bike if its modified can also be a messy & lenthy process. A stock standard bike fairly straightforward, but not cheap. You really need to compare prices here & in the UK, and then decide. When you look here for example http://www.bikesales.com.au/ dont forget these are asking prices. Not what you will pay after a good haggling session.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I'd take those prices on bikesales.com.au with a pinch of salt. Many of those bikes have been on there for months and the owners are trying their luck. And with some of the deals on new bikes to be had some people are asking more for a 2nd hand bike than you can get that same bike for new.

I got back into bikes since coming over so didn't have one to import but I did look into it for the car and it's something crazy like you have to pay 40% of it's value when new on the dock as an import tax. So to bring in a 4 year old bike that's worth £4k now but was £10k new you pay another £4k to bring it into OZ. And then they have to get it roadworthied and registered etc Unless it's something you can't replace I'd replace it here.

Also bear in mind your UK helmet is not legal here.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brisneyland

Really? I hadn't even thought of that - not that I have a bike yet but still....

Interesting...
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland

Quick question for you, what is the legal requirement on helmets in Australia then?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
Quick question for you, what is the legal requirement on helmets in Australia then?
From my last 10 mins of googling, they have to have an aussie sticker on them. If they don't, you can be pinged for it, although the more concerning possibility is that in the event of an accident, your insurance may be void with the absence of this sticker\standards compliance.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bumble69
From my last 10 mins of googling, they have to have an aussie sticker on them. If they don't, you can be pinged for it, although the more concerning possibility is that in the event of an accident, your insurance may be void with the absence of this sticker\standards compliance.
Yes indeed!

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
It must be an Australian approved helmet with sticker on. I have five helmets brought over from the UK and can't use legally.

You can get helmets here from $199 and up, so all is not lost. I got a fairly decent Shark one for about $240.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 27th 2011 at 12:04 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

tarmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Not worth bringing one over unless you have something rare or special. You'll get taxed unless you have owned it for a period of time (I think year/maybe 2) and you will have to convert it to ADR (Australian design rules) rules.
Best to buy one here (I have one for sale actually LOL)

Crash helmets need to have a Australian standards sticker on them to be legal for the road. No sticker invalidates your insurance and can cost you a fine if the cops stop you.
You can use a uk helmet on the track though as the racing rules allow the usual snell/BS etc standards.

All second hand bikes need a road worthy to transfer so for example, If I sold you my bike, I would pay for a roadworthy which costs $60 -$110. You would then take the paper work to the transport office and the roadworthy (aka safety certificate) and transfer the ownership.
rego costs 220 for a single seat bike but more if you have a 2 seater eg. pillion.
My R6 is plated as a single seater for the cheaper rego as no one would really want to ride on the back of it with its rear postage stamp sized pillion seat.

There is no 3 yearly mot. the roadworthy is only done during the transfer process.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice
Default importing scooter

hi,

I will be bringing my vespa with me when I make the big move in October. Has anyone else brought there bike/scooter with them. If so what changes did you have to make to get it to comply. My speedo is is mph but does have kmh in smaller numbers underneath would this be ok or would it require changing.

Also does it matter if it registers miles and not kilometers on the mile-ometer

thanks

chris
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tarmac
rego costs 220 for a single seat bike but more if you have a 2 seater eg. pillion.
My R6 is plated as a single seater for the cheaper rego as no one would really want to ride on the back of it with its rear postage stamp sized pillion seat.
Tarmac, my understanding is that the REGO for bikes is a sliding scale depending on the No of Cylinders. So the Triumph triples do well here. I'm sure I paid about $450 for a year's REGO on a ZX6 last year. Is your $220 for a year as a single seater or 6 months? I was wondering about getting my Z1000 changed to registered as a single cylinder (it's bad enough trying to keep the front wheel on the ground with just me on it) but was told it involved getting the rear pegs removed and an engineers certificate. Was that the case for you? Just trying to work out what the saving would be.

With regard to helmets, I've heard too that helmets must be under 5 years old. But this comment could have been for a track day not for the road.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:32 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

$440 ish per year for a '2 seater' bike
$220 ish per year for a single seater.

I'm not sure how much it costs to get yoru bike re-certified as a single seater (obviously technically its juts a matter of unscrewing the pillion foot pegs!)

I still pay for 2 seats on my ZX6 - but god knows why - theres bugger all chance of me ever attempting to carry anyone else....
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DadAgain
$440 ish per year for a '2 seater' bike
$220 ish per year for a single seater.

I'm not sure how much it costs to get yoru bike re-certified as a single seater (obviously technically its juts a matter of unscrewing the pillion foot pegs!)

I still pay for 2 seats on my ZX6 - but god knows why - theres bugger all chance of me ever attempting to carry anyone else....
Ok, thanks, that's worth doing then I think. I asked about it and was told there's a lot of work involved, the pags had to be disabled, removed and the holes welded up and it was a saving of only $20 a year.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:56 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: importing scooter

Hi Chris.

what you need to look into is whether its actually worth bringing it over.

Because a scooter is a lower value item compared to a motorcycle or car, I would imagine once you have weighed up the cost of shipping, cleaning, compliance, registering, import duty etc, im sure you could have bought a new one on the road with warranty etc for about the same price.

just to give you an idea, here is a search for new or nearly new dealer bikes & demos on bike sales.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...del_String%7C0

The prices are also before you even start haggling, and I would settle for anything less than 10% as a starting figure.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

nurseval is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I would love to know about this.. but mines is a motorbike

I currently ride a GSXR 750, looked at prices over there; rather expensive, I have had my bike a year in feb, so was wondering what is needed to be able to import my baby over??
Also are there any bikers/groups in and around OZ
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

nurseval is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by furkew
Hi Chris.

what you need to look into is whether its actually worth bringing it over.

Because a scooter is a lower value item compared to a motorcycle or car, I would imagine once you have weighed up the cost of shipping, cleaning, compliance, registering, import duty etc, im sure you could have bought a new one on the road with warranty etc for about the same price.

just to give you an idea, here is a search for new or nearly new dealer bikes & demos on bike sales.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...del_String%7C0

The prices are also before you even start haggling, and I would settle for anything less than 10% as a starting figure.
OH thank you for that site... actually pretty good bikes on there for not bad off a price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.