Reload this Page >

Importing a motorbike from the UK

Importing a motorbike from the UK

Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:04 am
Just Joined

charlieminch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a motorbike from the UK

Hi all,

I am moving to Perth in Jan ’13 to live with my partner. The visa (partner, S/C 309) is all taken care of and issued. Now, just to try and import my beloved Harley Davidson!

I understand I need to have owned it for 12 months and been in the country with it for 12 months. This is where the problem lies. I purchased it second hand in June ’12. Not a problem, I’ll import it into Aus in June ’13, however, I HAVE to move to Perth in Jan. So despite owning it for 12 months in June ’13, I’ll have been outside of the country for 5 of those?

Loosly, from what I understand there a a few things I can try;

1) Gain a ‘Letter of Compliance’ from Harley Davidson. I’m not sure if they’ll issue me one, as apparently they don’t have to. Even then, is that a gold ticket to import?

2) Apply under Personal Import Scheme and apply for a discretionary approval. And list my reasons why it should be accepted (the only one I can think of is that I have a job starting in Jan, so that’s why I must move earlier, but that doesn’t seem like a sound reason for them to grant an exception)

3) (This was a very short reply from a email I sent to the Vehicle Imports Call Centre)
“With regards to your circumstances if you apply under the personal import scheme, due to the amount of time outside of that country and the vehicle not being available for your use for 5 months, if you apply, your application will be given to the administrator to advise.”
I guess this is the ‘apply via Personal Import Scheme…..and leave it to fate’ route!

Any help you guys could give me would be really appreciated! I’m desperate to have my bike in Aus so I can actually ride it, even if I have to leave it in the UK for 5 Months, sat doing nothing!

Thanks

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Importing a motorbike from the UK-hd1.jpg  
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:12 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a motorbike from the UK

I have imported bikes and they tend to be pretty inflexible. They MAY bend the owned and used for 12 months rule but they may not and that is the problem. Red tape being what it is in Australia can be horrendous and it sounds as though you have to give it a go and see what they say.
They may well take the approach that you dont need a bike to take a job and you could always buy another one in Australia.
You can only try it and see what happens I'm afraid.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:16 am
Just Joined

charlieminch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

Should i just try the personal import scheme with a discretionary approval?

When's the earliest i can do this, do you think? Does it have to be at the 12 ownership point, or can i get all the paperwork now, but not import for another 6 months?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:01 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I would try it and see what they say. Put in the application with a covering letter explaining the situation, I would do it before you leave and get a decision as soon as possible then if it comes back favourably you can easily arrange transport.
I think from memory the approval lasts 12 months but dont hold me to that.