Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a motorbike to OZ

Importing a motorbike to OZ

Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Piplin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a motorbike to OZ

Has anyone imported a motorbike to oz recently. I hope to move out in the new year and bring my 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100 with me, i was told it would just require the speedo changing to metric does anyone know of anything else please.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:28 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a motorbike to OZ

Originally Posted by Piplin
Has anyone imported a motorbike to oz recently. I hope to move out in the new year and bring my 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100 with me, i was told it would just require the speedo changing to metric does anyone know of anything else please.

first of all, have you personally owned it yourself for 12 months? If not you cant bring it. No way around it. sorry

If you have owned for at least 12 months, I recently replied to a thread on another forum about the same subject, and they were planning on bringing over a suzuki sv1000. After shipping costs, paperwork costs, compliance and registration it was about the same value as buying an Australian sv1000

If your bike is modified you might have compliance issues as well which can add extra cost as well.

Because your bike is a 2010 you probably stand to lose quite a bit on the resale value, but if looking at prices on www.bikesales.com.au to give you a comparison value, take off 20% to give you a more realistic market value. Bikes are NOT selling over here because buyers think they are overpriced.

Recently I tried selling my bike due to lack of use. Started at $15750,00. (not dear at the time for Oz)
nearly sold it for $15,000 until the buyer found another one with less mods for $8000!!!!
It was advertised on bike sales as well, and I received 1 phonecall in 6 months. Dropped to as low as $12,500 and still nothing.
I have since come to my senses and im keeping my baby

after all my waffle,in short, it quite often boils down to the simple fact that if its of sentimental value or rare, bring it over. If its "just a bike" think seriously about the costs and pro's and con's before deciding to ship.

whatever you do, dont stop riding a bike. Australia was made for it!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Hi Furkew, I have owned the bike from new it was my retirement present to myself. I got in touch with Triumph Uk to get a letter of compliance after a long delay they said it did not comply so don,t bother exporting it. I spoke with a Triumph dealer in Adelaide while on a visit last year and he thought it would only need the metric speedo fitting (£200 ).
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

First of all congratulations on a fantastic choice of bike, I am a huge Triumph fan

It wont be too difficult getting it complianced and registered in Australia. Do they have K's on the speedo as well as miles ? I took a Speed Triple across years and and my wife took a Norton, both had mile speedos but also had k's on the inside and were fine. It does seem to depend on which State though.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Hi Chris955, The new form that you fill in for Canberra for them to issue an approval for import states that if you don't have a letter of compliance then you might not be able to import.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

So they are saying you need a letter of compliance from the manufacturer ? That was never a requirement for a personal import before. The whole point is the bike is bought up to standard when it gets to the Australia. We didnt have to change very much at all.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:31 am
Just Joined

The new form came in July this year. I could send the application with a letter of conformity and hope they give me an approval to import.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:56 am
Banned

That seems absurd, there is lot of protectionism in Australia but there is no motorcycle industry to protect so it makes no sense.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:18 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piplin
Hi Furkew, I have owned the bike from new it was my retirement present to myself. I got in touch with Triumph Uk to get a letter of compliance after a long delay they said it did not comply so don,t bother exporting it. I spoke with a Triumph dealer in Adelaide while on a visit last year and he thought it would only need the metric speedo fitting (£200 ).
Have you had a search on the internet for Triumph moptorcycle forums. Im sure they can offer suggestions on getting the speedo fixed for a lot less than that.

I'm sure I have come across an Oz triumph owners club, but cant seem to find it at the moment, but if you can find it, im sure there will be members that can offer advice about bringing your bike over as well.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:24 pm
Going for a ride

Found these.

you might find something on one of them.

http://www.tomcc.com.au/

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com.au...ion-of-triumph

http://www.triumphrat.net/forum.php

http://www.trumpy.org/phpBB3/index.php
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks furkew i will have a browse and see what i can find