Wikiposts

Importing Goods

Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

grantvt is on a distinguished road
Default Importing Goods

Hi

When the times come for me to move I have a few things that I would like to take with me to Aus.

One of them being a mountian bike. Does anyone know what the process is and if something like a mountian bike will be a problem to import - I have heard customs are strict?

Cheers
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

g_attrill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing Goods

I have just brought one in and it was fine, I think they are concerned about mud containing foreign matter being brought in, so clean it thoroughly and scrub the tyres and you should be ok. My tyres still had surface dirt but apaprently that was ok, they didn't seem to clean/disinfect it any further, but the box had been opened - I brought that box and four others, and they only opened the bike box and one other box.

For packing - I got a cardboard box from the local bike shop, then taped some pipe insulation on the frame and forks, then bubble wrap on some other parts. I haven't unpacked it fully but it seems to have survived the boat trip.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, so you sent it via sea? how much did it cost roughly?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Give it a good jet wash and scrub and remove any dirt as that's what they worry about. Foot and Mouth can be carried in soil and as they have never had it there they are very keen to keep it out.

Get some Jeyes fluid and wipe it down with that and when packing pour some jeyes onto cardboard.

When quarantine smell Jeyes they love it and pass things through alot quicker!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrCro
Give it a good jet wash and scrub and remove any dirt as that's what they worry about. Foot and Mouth can be carried in soil and as they have never had it there they are very keen to keep it out.

Get some Jeyes fluid and wipe it down with that and when packing pour some jeyes onto cardboard.

When quarantine smell Jeyes they love it and pass things through alot quicker!
lol, I'll use some Jeyes. thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:50 am
Just Joined

g_attrill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grantvt
Thanks, so you sent it via sea? how much did it cost roughly?
I don't know really, all my stuff was sent gratis by a friend who owns a shipping company, but when I was looking at the costings I expect it would be around £100 plus the various fixed fees, so if you aren't shipping anything else by sea then take it as checked baggage.