Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

importing fishing gear

importing fishing gear

Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

magicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nice
Default importing fishing gear

when importing fishing rods in a container does anyone know if you have to strip the line from the reels even if it looks clean.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: importing fishing gear

Originally Posted by magicsprout
when importing fishing rods in a container does anyone know if you have to strip the line from the reels even if it looks clean.
I didn't and they got through OK.

Just wipe the rods down to remove mud, slime etc.

They are most suspicious of nets so I only brought unused ones.

G
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Taking the line off the reels is only required when taking them in hand luggage.

For stuff going in the container clean it with water, don't bring the nets and use a bit of sand paper to clean the cork on the rods.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Do not bring any Gulp either.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
Do not bring any Gulp either.
I did.....brought a load of the stuff I had bought in the US.

G
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Taking the line off the reels is only required when taking them in hand luggage.
I have brought about 15 reels into Australia, in my hand luggage, over the years, and have never removed the line....either braid or mono.

G
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
I have brought about 15 reels into Australia, in my hand luggage, over the years, and have never removed the line....either braid or mono.

G

So did I.
No way I was going to wait for the shipped stuff to arrive.

But on fishing forums recently quite a few people were writing that they had to strip the line off their reels when boarding.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

So did I.
No way I was going to wait for the shipped stuff to arrive.

But on fishing forums recently quite a few people were writing that they had to strip the line off their reels when boarding.
Never occurred to me and customs never said a word.

I recently carried a lot of fly tying feathers (and rods) through customs....I declared them...they had a look and waved them through.

I do not think there is a problem if you are sensible about it.

G
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think that there was a thread on ausfish a while ago on that issue.
It's not the customs who have a problem with the line on reels it's the security check.