Importing Cars

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing Cars

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Interesting. I thought the 5% was only for commercial vehicles and heavy duty off road 4x4 equipment like tractors not, for example, a BMW X5 or Merc ML500.

I think SUVs are still classified under Customs Tariff Act 1995 Schedule 3 Section 17 Reference 8703.22.1 "Passenger motor vehicles"

I would call Customs and double check, but that's just me.

Can't comment on motorbikes.
Yes, absolutely worth double checking!!!

It does say on their rules & regulations page at the bottom:-

"FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES - the lower Duty Rate of 5% (and 10% Gst) is only applicable to ‘Off Road’ type cars e.g. Range Rover and not 4WD ‘Saloon’ type cars e.g. Audi Quattro."
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:33 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yes, absolutely worth double checking!!!

It does say on their rules & regulations page at the bottom:-

"FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES - the lower Duty Rate of 5% (and 10% Gst) is only applicable to ‘Off Road’ type cars e.g. Range Rover and not 4WD ‘Saloon’ type cars e.g. Audi Quattro."
I think this is so that they can fall into the "commercial" bracket (i.e. farm equipment)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Morgie
Hi there can anyone recommend a customs agent for the Brisbane area?Hoping to ship out my car depending on valuation.Mamy thanks.

I used Comercial Freight and Logistics in Brisbane for all the Customs bits - they (Thomas) were brilliant, communicative, followed up everything with a call and were in my opinion cheap. I used Brisbane Vehicle Valuers for the Customs valuation - he knew his stuff, provided an excellent (low) valuation based on the UK trade price of our car.

I contracted out the ADR modifications (child seat mounts) to ASE Steering in Brisbane - couldn't be bothered doing this myself (you can if you want - or preferrably get the original parts fitted before you leave). ASE were a pleasure to deal with, interested in my car and experience and respectful of my understanding of the process ie. no bullshite, just the facts. You still need an engineer to sign off on the car meeting relevant ADR's.. I used E. Gilchrist (nice bloke).

I used Wentworths in the UK for shipping (container) they contracted out to Conroys in Brisbane for delivery - not as communicative, but they knew what they were doing and were very pleasant at all times.

I would absolutley do this again, if the value of the car and the costs involved made financial sense.
BigApes spreadsheet is a goodun, but research and understand it yourself.
ie. No LHD in queensland <30yrs old

Let me know if you want more info/detail/contact numbers etc.

Last edited by craig_m67; Jun 23rd 2009 at 3:55 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

glorianic is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you tell me what you did when your car arrived on the docks, what did you need to get it roadworthy and on the road pleae

We have just arrived and are getting conflicting answers.

Did you go to Sydney or elesewhere

Thanks

glorianic

I brought a German Car here, new value in UK £25,000, second hand value 2007 approximately £1400. (7 Years Old).

I arranged my own container £1150 (40ft) to the car and furniture, so car used up aft of space.

Conatiner therefore approx $1200
Clean down in Uk, £0 did it myself as I knew customs would charge me again in Aus.
Approval fee $50 must have owned vehicle for min 12 months.
Arrange an agent to clear it through quarantine and customs
Agent fees, storage and customs costs, cleaning costs of the car.
Pits, which is a really easy process and it flew through and I had plates within no time.

The whole lot was approximately $2500.

Now that car here is worth $10000.

Hindsight I would have shipped the car prior to me leaving Aus, so when I arrived I would have minimise the rental of a car.

Its all Too Easy if you ask me.[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glorianic
Can you tell me what you did when your car arrived on the docks, what did you need to get it roadworthy and on the road pleae

We have just arrived and are getting conflicting answers.

Did you go to Sydney or elesewhere

Thanks

glorianic

I brought a German Car here, new value in UK £25,000, second hand value 2007 approximately £1400. (7 Years Old).

I arranged my own container £1150 (40ft) to the car and furniture, so car used up aft of space.

Conatiner therefore approx $1200
Clean down in Uk, £0 did it myself as I knew customs would charge me again in Aus.
Approval fee $50 must have owned vehicle for min 12 months.
Arrange an agent to clear it through quarantine and customs
Agent fees, storage and customs costs, cleaning costs of the car.
Pits, which is a really easy process and it flew through and I had plates within no time.

The whole lot was approximately $2500.

Now that car here is worth $10000.

Hindsight I would have shipped the car prior to me leaving Aus, so when I arrived I would have minimise the rental of a car.

Its all Too Easy if you ask me.
[/QUOTE]

How long did the shipping take? i.e. How far in advance would you have shipped it to have the car there on your arrival?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:46 am
Just Joined

battebabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnschofield10
Hi Has anyone gone down the route of importing a car into Oz? If so any advice given would be greatefully received.

John
When you consider importing your car to Oz, things to remember:
Apply for import permit BEFORE you pack ans send it. Take photos of your compliance plate, go to DOTARS web site and complete forms and send in advance with payment. As stated, the car will need to resemble 'as new' condition on arrival to avoid further cleaning costs. You can ship it with your personal belongings to save on costs. Also check out similar makes and models available in Oz to weigh up if worth the extra costs.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Morgie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by craig_m67
I used Comercial Freight and Logistics in Brisbane for all the Customs bits - they (Thomas) were brilliant, communicative, followed up everything with a call and were in my opinion cheap. I used Brisbane Vehicle Valuers for the Customs valuation - he knew his stuff, provided an excellent (low) valuation based on the UK trade price of our car.

I contracted out the ADR modifications (child seat mounts) to ASE Steering in Brisbane - couldn't be bothered doing this myself (you can if you want - or preferrably get the original parts fitted before you leave). ASE were a pleasure to deal with, interested in my car and experience and respectful of my understanding of the process ie. no bullshite, just the facts. You still need an engineer to sign off on the car meeting relevant ADR's.. I used E. Gilchrist (nice bloke).

I used Wentworths in the UK for shipping (container) they contracted out to Conroys in Brisbane for delivery - not as communicative, but they knew what they were doing and were very pleasant at all times.

I would absolutley do this again, if the value of the car and the costs involved made financial sense.

Thanks for the info I'll be contacting the people you suggested.I'm thinking of taking my Cayenne turbo and OH's boxster so need to save as much as I can
Thanks again Morgie
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:04 am
Just Joined

battebabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info I'll be contacting the people you suggested.I'm thinking of taking my Cayenne turbo and OH's boxster so need to save as much as I can
Thanks again Morgie
No worries, glad to help. Can give you a name of a place that can help with all the required steps if need be. Just let me know
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Message for Big ape.Could you please give me an idea of costs for sending the following car?
make Porsche
model Boxster S
model type Cabriolet
Body type 2door
Engine 3200cc
Transmission Tiptronic (auto)
Year 2003
Mileage 23000
Condition Very good
Car worth 20000 in uk
Many thanks Morgie.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:29 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

make Porsche
model Boxster S
model type Cabriolet
Body type 2door
Engine 3200cc
Transmission Tiptronic (auto)
Year 2003
Mileage 23000
Condition Very good
Car worth 20000 in uk
Please see attached.

Looks like the average for a 2003 personal import would be around the $60,000 mark here and based on Victorian costs you should clear about $1,000 on paper if you sold it right now (which you can't) I will say that people are selling "luxury" cars here like they are diseased, there value is dropping all over the country and it is expected to keep falling.

Al
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Please see attached.

Looks like the average for a 2003 personal import would be around the $60,000 mark here and based on Victorian costs you should clear about $1,000 on paper if you sold it right now (which you can't) I will say that people are selling "luxury" cars here like they are diseased, there value is dropping all over the country and it is expected to keep falling.

Al
Thank you so much for your pdf with all the attached information you have truly simplified what was a complicated decision.All the best,Morgie.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your pdf with all the attached information you have truly simplified what was a complicated decision.All the best,Morgie.
You could easily ttake 20% of the RRP at the moment on sports cars and luxury cars.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:31 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
You could easily ttake 20% of the RRP at the moment on sports cars and luxury cars.
The value I used was the low end of the current used value, even then it will be much lower by the time it gets here.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

The BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really nice

You need to contact one of the Authorised Valuers in Australia. We used the following chap

David Nelson
Motor Vehicle Valuation Service
P.O. Box 159, Glen Iris, VIC 3146
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +61 3 9885 5075
Fax: +61 3 9885 5049

All done via email and/or Fax. Cost was about $220 when I did. Give them a call or drop them an email

Al
Hello again BigAPE,

Thanks for your kind help with address detail. We are currently trying to find someone in Queensland that can hopefully offer the same service so fingers crossed.

I have just been reading some information from a shipping agent and nearly had a heart attack! In their information and for taxation purposes, they talk about the car UK value when purchased but we bought our car brand new in 2005 and we paid over £40k for it so do we have to enter that as the UK value when doing our calculations? Or do we work on the car street value today in 2009 which is significantly less?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer on this dilemma.

The BBs
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by craig_m67

As above, his number is in the book/net.
He used the current UK trade value of our car and then added the shipping costs for a total customs value
was about half what i worked out (based on 60% Aust. value)

lemme know if you need any contact details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.