Importing Cars

Old May 25th 2009, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car export

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Good luck, let us know how it goes with that.

All I am trying to do is dispell a lot of the myths about shipping, especially concerning the realistic total cost of shipping which the companies offering these services never fully explain. A lot of people come on here and other forums asking about it because "a mate told them that it would cost £1,000 to get it to Australia" or "the shipping company told them it would be 1,500 to ship to Australia". If you feel that your personal circumstances deem it viable then that is of course your choice.

All I am saying is that in my experience from shipping my car and hearing hundreds of stories and personal accounts, unless you have a rare car or classic car then it's going to be break even at best. In some rare situations a pretty regular marque in the UK might fetch more over here, but in general the Australians approach cars in a different way to people in the UK. Asian 4x4's are specifically very common here, far more so than in the UK (obviously).

If it is a common marque here and all you plan on doing is bringing it here, driving it into the ground and the costs are acceptable to you then go for it, but don't think you'll be doing it for profit. The car industry and the government have designed the personal import process in such a way that you will rarely make any profit.

Al
Thanks Al,

The information you have provided throughout this thread has been excellent and I'm sure it has made all of us think a lot more carefully about this.

Of course by the time we actually move to Oz, things like exch rate, car values etc... will have all changed, so it's a decision that can only made closer to the time and then we still need to decide is it REALLY, REALLY worth it.
Old May 25th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Importing Cars

Originally Posted by k974
if any you guys thinking coming over in the next 12months (i.e you cna prove you've owned it long enough etc) buy a new shape 2003 or later swb diesel patrol or landcruiser you will sell it here for a permium no swb landcruisers or patrols have been sold in oz since early 90's they'll command a premium garunteed.
An interesting guarantee you offer.

You do seem to forget the fact that you would be selling a personal import car, that may (and the chances are will) have a fairly hefty insurance premium attached to it since it is an import, be a lot hartder to insure in the first place, have a far less chance of selling because it is an import and thus seen as being 'non-Australian' spec, and finally, if no SWB Landcruisers have been sold here, getting parts would be an interesting concept should the worst occur, or even if someone swipes your bodywork in a car park...

It's very easy to say things, but the truth of the matter, as BigApe has pointed out, is that there are many other factors to consider, which could mean you make a lovely loss.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

I know it not a car but a motorbike,but its never been registered and is trackbike only?

I have only owned it for a few months,but seems as its a race bike only can i bring it to aus? and any taxes to be applied?
cheers
Old May 25th 2009, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

hawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nice

Not to mention the Quarantine Entry fees, Customs Entry fees, Air Conditioning fees, AQIS Quarantine fees, Local shipping fees, Customs Levied Entry fees and that's before you get hit with import tax, duty and on-road costs.

Have a read of this...

Importing Your Car to Australia

and if you still feel that you want to go ahead with it I'll give you a very rough estimate of the total cost of importing if you provide the following information.
  • Make
  • Model
  • Model Type
  • Body Type
  • Engine size
  • Transmission
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Mileage
  • Condition
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: Land Cruiser
  • Model Type: LC4
  • Body Type: 4 Door
  • Engine size: 2982cc
  • Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2
  • Year of Manufacture: 2004
  • Mileage: 15,000m
  • Condition: Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Be as specific as possible

Al
Hi Al,

Is there any chance you could give me an estimate on the following?

Many Thanks

Rick

• Make - Peugeot
  • Model - 206CC
  • Model Type - 1.6S - 2dr
  • Body Type - Coupe/Convertible
  • Engine size - 1597cc
  • Transmission - Manual
  • Year of Manufacture - 2004
  • Mileage - 57000
  • Condition - Good/Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? - £5000 (Based on Parkers)
Old May 26th 2009, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

k974 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by slipshot
An interesting guarantee you offer.

You do seem to forget the fact that you would be selling a personal import car, that may (and the chances are will) have a fairly hefty insurance premium attached to it since it is an import, be a lot hartder to insure in the first place, have a far less chance of selling because it is an import and thus seen as being 'non-Australian' spec, and finally, if no SWB Landcruisers have been sold here, getting parts would be an interesting concept should the worst occur, or even if someone swipes your bodywork in a car park...

It's very easy to say things, but the truth of the matter, as BigApe has pointed out, is that there are many other factors to consider, which could mean you make a lovely loss.

how many cars have you bought sold in australia? what background have you to give you an indication of the value of a certain rare 4 x 4 in australia??

I personnally have owned prados and patrols in and outside of australia and possibly the only or one of 10max swb prados in australia i've personally with my partner bought & sold in the region of 200 cars/vans/utes in australia (mostly 4x4's) and i'm a member of a toyota 4x4 club and a qualified mechanic (dont work at it) and have seen 2 personal import swb patrols for sale in australia i have a fair idea on what one would make out here compared to buying it in ireland/uk. as for parts 99% of mechanical parts will be available in the local delear and 60% of the body parts are same as lwb

its not 100% garunteed nothing is but if i was had the oppurtunity to do it i would. now anyone who takes the advice off a stranger on the internet is a fool but maybe there is some sense to what i'm saying and maybe somebody who has the oppurtunity will do their own independant research into it. you wont make a massive profit but you'll do ok and it'll sell in 1 day!

Last edited by k974; May 26th 2009 at 5:53 am.
Old May 26th 2009, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by k974
how many cars have you bought sold in australia? what background have you to give you an indication of the value of a certain rare 4 x 4 in australia??

I personnally have owned prados and patrols in and outside of australia and possibly the only or one of 10max swb prados in australia i've personally with my partner bought & sold in the region of 200 cars/vans/utes in australia (mostly 4x4's) and i'm a member of a toyota 4x4 club and a qualified mechanic (dont work at it) and have seen 2 personal import swb patrols for sale in australia i have a fair idea on what one would make out here compared to buying it in ireland/uk. as for parts 99% of mechanical parts will be available in the local delear and 60% of the body parts are same as lwb

its not 100% garunteed nothing is but if i was had the oppurtunity to do it i would. now anyone who takes the advice off a stranger on the internet is a fool but maybe there is some sense to what i'm saying and maybe somebody who has the oppurtunity will do their own independant research into it. you wont make a massive profit but you'll do ok and it'll sell in 1 day!
I'm sure you have have a wealth of experience and seen and been there far more than I have.

That does not change the fact the costs I alluded to, such as insurance, the lack of desirability and potentially being harder to sell, and fewer parts are all key things to make a potential person aware of.

I just think you need to precis your comments with some justification and risk measures rather than advising it will be easy to sell - which you do. It's all very well seeing cars on sale, but until they are actually sold it means nothing.

Just think caution is relevant here. As someone who has imported a car, I know the issues and pitfalls all too well.
Old May 26th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

hawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nice

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Hi Al,

Is there any chance you could give me an estimate on the following?

Many Thanks

Rick

• Make - Peugeot
  • Model - 206CC
  • Model Type - 1.6S - 2dr
  • Body Type - Coupe/Convertible
  • Engine size - 1597cc
  • Transmission - Manual
  • Year of Manufacture - 2004
  • Mileage - 57000
  • Condition - Good/Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? - £5000 (Based on Parkers)
Al,

Thanks for putting your spreadsheet on the web. I managed to download it from the BritVics wiki site and fill in a few fields, so I think I have the figures I needed to know about.

Thanks again for your help and detailing the process.

Cheers

Rick
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read on a few car shipping websites that import duty is only 5% for 4WD SUV vehicles as apposed to 10% for most cars. Makes shipping mine a bit more attractive.

Anyone shipped a motorbike over recently? I'm thinking about doing that also.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:06 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I've just read on a few car shipping websites that import duty is only 5% for 4WD SUV vehicles as apposed to 10% for most cars. Makes shipping mine a bit more attractive.

Anyone shipped a motorbike over recently? I'm thinking about doing that also.
I think you'll find that your friend is referring to the pending reduction in import duty on vehicles from 10% to 5% from 1st January 2010. I have not read too much about this yet, but it seems to include all personally imported vehicles.

In July 2008 the Department of Innovation (not joking, that's what the government body is called) received the final proposal document from Steve Bracks (ex-Victorian Premier) and his team who submitted that to stimulate the automotive industry in Australia they should reduce the import duty on parts coming into Australia. The net effect of this is that personal import vehicles will also fall into that category. What I don't think they took into account though is that it appears to cover the importing of production vehicles by non-Australian manufacturers, so their plan is to foster growth in the Australian automotive industry by making non-Australian cars cheaper

So good news for you if you plan to import your car next year, but bad news for the Australian economy.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jun 21st 2009 at 10:16 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

The BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really nice

I think you'll find that your friend is referring to the pending reduction in import duty on vehicles from 10% to 5% from 1st January 2010. I have not read too much about this yet, but it seems to include all personally imported vehicles.

In July 2008 the Department of Innovation (not joking, that's what the government body is called) received the final proposal document from Steve Bracks (ex-Victorian Premier) and his team who submitted that to stimulate the automotive industry in Australia they should reduce the import duty on parts coming into Australia. The net effect of this is that personal import vehicles will also fall into that category. What I don't think they took into account though is that it appears to cover the importing of production vehicles by non-Australian manufacturers, so their plan is to foster growth in the Australian automotive industry by making non-Australian cars cheaper

So good news for you if you plan to import your car next year, but bad news for the Australian economy.

Al
Hi BigAPE,

Sorry to slide in on your post but I wondered if you could give me some idea of how we go about getting our car valued in the UK and in Australia. We assume that the valuation must be done by a recognized outfit which issues some sort of certificate? If so, where do we find these outfits?

We have a BMW which we were originally going to sell before coming over to Queensland hopefully sometime in the very near future but BMW’s have plummeted in price here in the UK and we now think that we would be better off keeping it and bringing it with us instead.

We have looked at RedBook and Drive for car values but our model doesn’t appear to be available in Australia so it is making it very hard for us to get an idea of its street value. Would you be able to offer some guidance in that respect? If you can our car details are:

Make: BMW
Model: 525d Tourer Sport
Engine Size: 2500cc
Transmission: Automatic
Year of manufacture: 2005
Mileage: 46,000
Condition: Good / Excellent

I also have a second hand Triumph motorcycle which I haven’t quite owned for 12 months yet but I will have done come the 30th of July 2009 and which I would love to bring over with me. Do you have any information on the processes required for bikes? And could we start preparing the paper work round about now despite it not being of age, so to speak?

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance you may be able to give us.

The BBs.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just checked this:-

SUV's are currently 5% duty.

Motorbikes are currently 0% duty - even better.

I could probably even stick 'em in the same container.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 22nd 2009 at 11:42 am. Reason: Add words
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:03 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked this:-

SUV's are currently 5% duty.

Motorbikes are currently 0% duty - even better.

I could probably even stick 'em in the same container.
Interesting. What's your source ? Did you call Customs ?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting. What's your source ? Did you call Customs ?
I searched and found this link.

http://www.cargoonline.com.au/dutytaxes.php
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:07 pm
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by The BBs
Sorry to slide in on your post but I wondered if you could give me some idea of how we go about getting our car valued in the UK and in Australia. We assume that the valuation must be done by a recognized outfit which issues some sort of certificate? If so, where do we find these outfits?
You need to contact one of the Authorised Valuers in Australia. We used the following chap

David Nelson
Motor Vehicle Valuation Service
P.O. Box 159, Glen Iris, VIC 3146
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +61 3 9885 5075
Fax: +61 3 9885 5049

All done via email and/or Fax. Cost was about $220 when I did. Give them a call or drop them an email

Al
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:14 pm
No Clean Feed

I searched and found this link.

http://www.cargoonline.com.au/dutytaxes.php
Interesting. I thought the 5% was only for commercial vehicles and heavy duty off road 4x4 equipment like tractors not, for example, a BMW X5 or Merc ML500.

I think SUVs are still classified under Customs Tariff Act 1995 Schedule 3 Section 17 Reference 8703.22.1 "Passenger motor vehicles"

I would call Customs and double check, but that's just me.

Can't comment on motorbikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.