Importing Cars

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

johnschofield10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing Cars

Originally Posted by home alone
Hi! John,
Now there is a thread, instead of doing a p.m. thought I'd just add to this!

Daughter contacted a company called Penguin Shipping near Southampton Docks, 01794 830555, almost three years ago, before she left, and started the process off, her costs for agent/shipping etc; was £1,200. The vehicle was to be 'steam cleaned' before departure, we knew of a friend who washed etc; vehicles down for his company, (so at no extra cost) although most people were of the opinion, ref; needing it done again on arrival!? The day before departure, daughter had already left Uk, I drove her 10 yrs old Toyota 4x4 to the docks and parked it outside the given office, paper work exchanged etc;

We were given name of ship, where we could track it during it's journey, on arrival company contacted my daughter, who then arranged to go to Fremantlefor collection. I know she had to pay some more, not sure at the moment how much, but I know it wasn't that bad! They still have the vehicle now.

When they tried to sell in Uk, they were offered 'stupid' amounts, someone even asked to be paid to take it off!

Our car is a Mazda 3, 4 yrs old, told, in Uk might get £6-£7,000, trade in, tried to sell private, offered £3,500! So contacted PenqPenguino were still just as helpful and profesional, as before, and the quote was £1,000! We are taking our car.

Hope this gives you a good idea, from our experience.

Kind Regards Lin
Lin,

Thanks for the info do you have a web site address for PenqPenguino?

John
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:26 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car export

Originally Posted by johnschofield10
Hi,

Here's a rundown of my vehicle
* Make Hyundai
* Model Tuscon
* Model Type CRTD CDX
* Body Type Estate
* Engine size 1991cc Diesel
* Transmission Manual 6 Speed
* Year of Manufacture 2008
* Mileage 3,000mls
* Condition excellent
* What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?£10K
So you have owned the car for at least 12 months right ?

Assuming that you have owned it for at least twelve months (and can document every day of it - read my article for more info) then it will cost you about £3,000 to ship and as the used price here (an average as I can't find that specific model - not a good sign) of $24,000 your bottom line on paper is a loss of £3,000

See attached spreadsheet for more details.

Al
Attached Files

Last edited by bigAPE; Apr 2nd 2009 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

johnschofield10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car export

Originally Posted by bigAPE
So you have owned the car for at least 12 months right ?

Assuming that you have owned it for at least twelve months (and can document every day of it - read my article for more info) then it will cost you about £3,000 to ship and as the used price here (an average as I can't find that specific model - not a good sign) of $24,000 your bottom line on paper is a loss of £3,000

See attached spreadsheet for more details.

Al
BigApe,

Many thanks for all the info it is very useful. You have said that it is not a good sign that you can't find my particular model in Oz for price comparisons purposes. Could you explain the practical implications of that if I was to go ahead even with the £3K loss.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

janine newtownabbey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just to say that my husband and I are bringing his 2004 Subaru Impreza STi over to Melbourne from Belfast, Northern Ireland. We are bringing a 40ft container with all our household and personal items. The container costs £5500 to ship. The application to bring the car over costs $50aud. The car needs steam cleaned to remove ALL the dirt from the undercarriage.

You need to have at least owned your vehicle for 12months and have your receipt of purchase to prove this along with a signed letter saying what countries you have visited in the said 12months. Upon arriving we have to pay 10%GST of the current Australian value of the car and another 10% of the Australian value in customs fees.

The value of the car in Oz is Between $30k and $40k but depending on mileage etc, As my husbands car has very little mileage it will be at the higher end of this sprectum. As there is no finance owed on the car it is costing £2250(half the container) roughly $8000 in taxes/fees, That is roughly $13000 for a car that I would have to pay $40000 for in Oz, If we sold the car in the UK we would not make enough money to buy the same car as they are double the price in OZ. It is worth it!

Last edited by janine newtownabbey; Apr 3rd 2009 at 9:01 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:59 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Look I imported a Audi S4 quattro....

Didnt cost me more than $5000....

you just need to understand the way it all works and not get spanked.

Sorry if some have been ripped off and paid a fortune, and the customs and agents "Saw you coming"....

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Nice and polite reply.

What does that big word mean?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:02 am
Account Closed

I am looking at a brand new WRX tommorow for $40k on the road.

Originally Posted by janine newtownabbey
Hi,

Just to say that my husband and I are bringing his 2004 Subaru Impreza STi over to Melbourne from Belfast, Northern Ireland. We are bringing a 40ft container with all our household and personal items. The container costs £5500 to ship. The application to bring the car over costs $50aud. The car needs steam cleaned to remove ALL the dirt from the undercarriage.

You need to have at least owned your vehicle for 12months and have your receipt of purchase to prove this along with a signed letter saying what countries you have visited in the said 12months. Upon arriving we have to pay 10%GST of the current Australian value of the car and another 10% of the Australian value in customs fees.

The value of the car in Oz is Between $30k and $40k but depending on mileage etc, As my husbands car has very little mileage it will be at the higher end of this sprectum. As there is no finance owed on the car it is costing £2250(half the container) roughly $8000 in taxes/fees, That is roughly $13000 for a car that I would have to pay $40000 for in Oz, If we sold the car in the UK we would not make enough money to buy the same car as they are double the price in OZ. It is worth it!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:36 am
Just Joined

I am looking at a brand new WRX tommorow for $40k on the road.
WRX's are far cheaper than STi's.

Brilliant cars you'll love it.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:45 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Sure, but have you investigated what the rest of the costs are once you get the car here ? You haven't mentioned what your Duty and on-road coats are once you get the car here.

The problem I had when I did it was there was always someone who was an "expert" who and had all the info... but it was always wrong. The best advice I can give is call these people and the Australian agencies, NEVER take someones word on itself. You will get burnt if you don't.

As for Subaru's, there are 101 here for every one you have. These are cars which are heavily imported from Japan directly and I see them all the time in Melbourne.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Apr 3rd 2009 at 1:52 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Sure, but have you investigated what the rest of the costs are once you get the car here ? You haven't mentioned what your Duty and on-road coats are once you get the car here.

The problem I had when I did it was there was always someone who was an "expert" who and had all the info... but it was always wrong. The best advice I can give is call these people and the Australian agencies, NEVER take someones word on itself. You will get burnt if you don't.

As for Subaru's, there are 101 here for every one you have. These are cars which are heavily imported from Japan directly and I see them all the time in Melbourne.

Al
Hi Al,

I am gettiing all my info from vehicleimports.gov.au who you need to apply to in order to get approval to import a vehicle and who are dealing with my case. I guess if any1 knows what all the costs are it's them as they are the "experts" If you take the time to properly read my post you will see I have mentioned what the costs are. 10% GST and 10% other taxes which includes OTR costs!

Subarus are 10 a dozen in Oz but not Impreza STi's which are twice the value in OZ compared to the UK market. I have been viisting family in Melbourne and Queensland every year for around 20 years now and I can count the amount of Impreza STi's I have seen on 1 hand.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

The only experts in my eyes are those who have done the process.

You only pay tax on what the vehicle is worth...... so dont put a high value on it simple as.

I got it valued and they said oh since its an import it isnt worth much and its a bit old....so we say the car is worth around $3000.... ah just had it valued and its come up 5 times that....

Do the maths and see what its worth, but it isnt doom and gloom, to get the roadworthy cert over the pits is easy.

I dont know what all the fuss is about.

I wish I brough over a Range Rover and a |Mercedes SL500.....

Id be laughing now
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:28 pm
No Clean Feed

I am gettiing all my info from vehicleimports.gov.au who you need to apply to in order to get approval to import a vehicle and who are dealing with my case. I guess if any1 knows what all the costs are it's them as they are the "experts" If you take the time to properly read my post you will see I have mentioned what the costs are. 10% GST and 10% other taxes which includes OTR costs!
Interesting. I have never heard of vehicleimports.gov.au and I can't get it working in my browser. Says there is no such domain. Very odd.

If you're talking about the people you obtain a VBS10 Approval to Import from then that used to be DOTARS but has changed in the last couple of years to DOITRL (Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government).

DOITRL are a great bunch of chaps and very helpful, but they will not inform you of the on the road costs as these vary state by state and they are a federal body dealing with country level requirements.

For the record the Customs Duty is 10% of the Customs Value of the vehicle. GST is 10% of the combined total of the Customs Value plus the Shipping Costs plus the Customs Duty.

Assuming a UK value of £12,500 for a 2004 Impreza STi (which is an average of the few that I found on several of the UK websites - if you have a different UK value let me know) and an Australian average street value for the same marque of $36,000. The actual average was $37,500, but you need to knock off a little as it's a Personal Import and these never sell for the same. The total duty on a Customs Value of $2,300 and GST would be around $2,600. The dock fee's would be around $900 and the on the road costs from VicRoads would be around $1,500 (including almost $1,000 of VicRoads Duty when you register the car as a second hand purchase - I'm not joking). VASS Inspection to ensure that the vehicle complies with the ADR in Australia could set you back over $800 if you don't have child seat anchor points, which my TT didn't. This is the most common modification that the VASS inspection picks up on you needing

A rough set of complete costs (on-the-road to on-the-road) are in the PDF I have attached (see the end of this post). I'm just curious to see if these figures match what DOITRL have told you to expect. From my very rough calculations it looks like a loss of around £1,300 end to end.

If you want to read more about VASS Inspections and find out about the Australian Design Rules (ADR) which govern any modifications that will need to be made to your car you might want to read the article I wrote about my experiences importing my Audi TT to Melbourne as it includes all the details about registration with VicRoads too. You never know there might be something in there they didn't tell you about

As there is no finance owed on the car it is costing £2250(half the container) roughly $8000 in taxes/fees, That is roughly $13000 for a car that I would have to pay $40000 for in Oz, If we sold the car in the UK we would not make enough money to buy the same car as they are double the price in OZ. It is worth it!
Just a thought but you might want to consider shipping the car in a separate container if it's going to cost you a further £2,250 as I have been quoted around £1,500 for a dedicated container in the past. It might save you a little money and it might be easier for you on AQIS when you have your belongings in quarantine.

Good luck!!

Subarus are 10 a dozen in Oz but not Impreza STi's which are twice the value in OZ compared to the UK market. I have been viisting family in Melbourne and Queensland every year for around 20 years now and I can count the amount of Impreza STi's I have seen on 1 hand.
Then you'll be onto a winner mate and I wish you good luck with it. I do see a large number of them on the roads, including STi's. One almost knocked me off my bike on Beach road last week oddly enough. Most are what they call Grey Imports from Japan which are apparently frowned on my local garages and this might cause you problems when you come to sell, but I bet there are a heap of potential buyers out here for it.

You only pay tax on what the vehicle is worth...... so dont put a high value on it simple as.

I got it valued and they said oh since its an import it isnt worth much and its a bit old....so we say the car is worth around $3000.... ah just had it valued and its come up 5 times that....
I agree. Getting a valuation from an official valuer in Australia before you apply for the VBS10 is critical as it's cheap to do it, easy to complete via email and will let you know almost all the costs up front.

A typical valuation comes in at around 60% of the Australian street value as it is based on the As-Landed value of the vehicle on the docks when it rolls off the ship. This is basically the value of it's component parts.
Attached Files

Last edited by bigAPE; Apr 3rd 2009 at 11:39 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Interesting. I have never heard of vehicleimports.gov.au and I can't get it working in my browser. Says there is no such domain. Very odd.

If you're talking about the people you obtain a VBS10 Approval to Import from then that used to be DOTARS but has changed in the last couple of years to DOITRL (Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government).

DOITRL are a great bunch of chaps and very helpful, but they will not inform you of the on the road costs as these vary state by state and they are a federal body dealing with country level requirements.
Hi Al,

That is the same website I sent the forms to but I am being responded to by vehicleimports.gov.au which must just be the e-mail address of the department. Thanks for the info about the extra costs that they havnt told me about and I thought the taxes included OTR costs. You are spot on with the value of the UK version. It does have Child ISOFIX anchors so I guess at least that is a bonus.

I did try the seperate container option but the company wanted £3000 for each container! I guess its the same old here in Northern Ireland, part of the UK but pay double for nearly everything compared to mainland UK and with only a few companys to choice from they have us by the short and curlys!:curse:

Thanks for spending the time putting together the PDF I will have a look @ it later on my daughters notebook as this computer decided it doesnt like opening PDF's.

One thing that I hav'nt mentioned is that my husbands car has nearly £10k for extras/modifactions fitted which we wouldnt get back if sold and the kids love it so even it did come in @ a slight loss we are still going to bring it.

Thanks

Last edited by Dorothy; Apr 4th 2009 at 3:00 pm. Reason: fixed quote
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for taking the time to do that Al and breaking it down. I was working out that I would have to pay $8000 in taxes(based on the Australian value of $40000) so it seems it wil come in beneath that. Just need to find cheaper shipping and at the minute its looking like its going to be cheaper for me to take the car to england and ship it from there!

vehicleimports.gov.au is the email of the department dealing with my car and it was DOITRL who I lodged the application with.

Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2009, 8:16 pm
No Clean Feed

You are spot on with the value of the UK version. It does have Child ISOFIX anchors so I guess at least that is a bonus.
My TT also had the global ISOFIX standard brackets, as standard on Audi's in Europe and the US. The problem is the Australian Safety Standards don't recognise ISOFIX and the ADR require you to have child seat anchor points mounted in the rear of the back seats or on the back shelf behind the seats. This cost me upwards of $500 to get sorted by an Audi garage (including shipping in the parts from Asia) and worse of all a further couple of weeks on the import process.

I thought you should know as it's best to go into this with all the information you can get. Because of this problem I ended up having to rent our AVIS car for a further two weeks which was even more money.

I wish you luck on the import and please let us know how it goes once you get it on the road here. If there are any differences with your process compared to mine I would really like to know as it should be identical.

Al
Old Apr 4th 2009, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Subarus also have anchor points behind the seats, Hopefully this should meet the requirements. My husband tells me that subaru's are ALL built in Japan then shipped to whatever country in the world unlike lots of other manufacturers so the UK model is supposed to be excatly the same as the Australian model for example.
Lets hope its the case.

I will defo let you know how things go for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.