Importing Cars

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing Cars

Originally Posted by In Exile
top gear was on last night and it just shocked me as to the value of second hand cars in Australia.
And thanks for the tip off - Will have to watch that
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:31 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnschofield10
Hi Has anyone gone down the route of importing a car into Oz? If so any advice given would be greatefully received.

John

Dont do it!

We imported our car (cos my company were paying all relocation costs) but it really wasnt worth the effort and within a couple of months we were looking at exchanging our car.

With hindsight we should have sold our car before leaving and then bought new(ish) in OZ.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Hi

Is it easier to export an Australian car back to Oz, in terms of modifications and costs? We shipped our 18 month old Australian Suzuki Swift back to the UK in 2008. We are now considering returning to Oz and I was wondering if the process would be easier because it is an Ozzie car.

Kathryn
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kathryn V
Hi

Is it easier to export an Australian car back to Oz, in terms of modifications and costs? We shipped our 18 month old Australian Suzuki Swift back to the UK in 2008. We are now considering returning to Oz and I was wondering if the process would be easier because it is an Ozzie car.

Kathryn
It may be easier. Read the section on re-importing to Oz.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._july_2011.pdf
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
Hmmm... I wonder if they're not confusing it with importing a vehicle to the ACT? Sounds like it could be.

That was something that irritated me a lot. I had to pay import duties to bring my motorbike into Australia and then again to import and register it in the ACT.
What do you mean by ACT mate?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenzi
What do you mean by ACT mate?
Australian Capital Territory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral...ital_Territory
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

So, would I just be easier importing it on a temp babsis??
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

stummo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default take car or not...?

Hi,

Finally got the job contract and now we are in the process of deciding what to take...we are moving to Brisbane in Nov and have to decide what container to get...

The main bone of contention is whether to take a car or not and I am hoping someone on here can settle the argument...We have a 2006 Subarau Outback 2.5 SE with 60miles on the clock - reasonable condition - I think believe the car to be worth £6k if I sold it now in the UK...I have just had a quote from the shippers of £3k for the doco and £3k to change from a 20foot container to a 40foot container..So I'm guessing the car will cost £6k + £6k value....so I think if I took it it would need to be worth more thank £12k or about $18k - does that sound about right?????

....so the question is is it worth taking or do I sell in the UK ?...any advise appreciated as I have no idea and neither does the missis

thanks in advance Stu
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: take car or not...?

There's some extra costs you forgot to add in -

- import tax
- quarantine charge
- cost of making the car Australian compliant
- extra cost of insuring a grey import here
- less resale value on a grey import here.

Have a look at this thread for more info - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458572

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Sep 2nd 2011 at 8:44 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:44 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There's some extra costs you forgot to add in -

- import tax
- quarantine charge
- cost of making the car Australian compliant
- extra cost of insuring a grey import here
- less resale value on a grey import here.

BB
over the years this has been discussed time and time again, the general consesus has been that unless its something special it isnt worth the hassle,

regards steve
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A more recent thread is here:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=600334&page=2

...and a breakdown of what it cost us to ship ours over - post #120.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=120

So unless it is special or you would save a fair bit, then don't bother. The process was simple enough though if you get an agent to do the work.

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 2nd 2011 at 9:38 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
over the years this has been discussed time and time again, the general consesus has been that unless its something special it isnt worth the hassle,

regards steve
and even recent mid range bmws, mercs and audi models. aussies seem to love them and pay loads for them

in this case though, i don't think its worth the hassle to go through the process.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

I am having the same thought, only difference is I have a car and two bikes, I know I can only take 1, well I decided to sell all three, I looked in the autotrader at prices, I looked up the value in Parkers and put all three up for sale at what I thought was a fair price, didnt get 1 call for anything, two weeks later ended up re-advertising but dropped the price by 500 quid on everything, I am a week into the advertising and once again nothing, I am going to end up giving them away, then get to Aus and get ripped off buying again, I wish I could take all three at this moment regardless of cost as its costing me a fortune to sell them taking into account I am having to sell them at substantially less than market value, has anyone in the UK tried to sell anything lately..................nothing is selling
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Friends bought a 2004 Subaru Imprezza with them as his work was paying for shipping. They recently wrote it off and got $2000 from the insurance as that was all it was worth as an import
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

I have just done a numbers crunching exercise on my 2007 57 plate Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 Diesel Auto Exec with 44000 miles, I bought it 2 years ago for 16K its a 25K car new, looking at the value now it worth 8.5K, the same car is selling in Aus right now for 25000 AUD at a dealer, thats 16000 quid, forget about selling it when I get to Aus and just do the numbers in your head, even with the 3-4K in expenses getting it to Aus is still well worth it, think about it, selling here and losing a fortune, then buying again and getting ripped off, even as a grey import and knocking 5000 AUD off the going price you could still sell it in the future, get your UK asking price of 8.5K back and the cost of getting it to Aus back, its a no brainer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.