Importing Cars

Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Liz F is a jewel in the roughLiz F is a jewel in the roughLiz F is a jewel in the roughLiz F is a jewel in the rough
Default Importing Cars

Can anyone help with information and advice regarding importing my car to Oz.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice
Default Re: Importing Cars

Originally Posted by Liz F
Hi Liz,
I don't know if you have tried the DAFFA site but this usually gives a lot of info on importation.Just click on motor vehicles near the bottom.
Link below:
http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/import
They don't generally advise doing this unless your car is of a classic or vintage state due to the large costs involved.
Anyway hope the info helps.

Last edited by Wishwewerethere; Sep 12th 2008 at 7:04 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Liz F is a jewel in the roughLiz F is a jewel in the roughLiz F is a jewel in the roughLiz F is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wishwewerethere
Hi Liz,
I don't know if you have tried the DAFFA site but this usually gives a lot of info on importation.Just click on motor vehicles near the bottom.
Link below:
http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/import
They don't generally advise doing this unless your car is of a classic or vintage state due to the large costs involved.
Anyway hope the info helps.
Thanks for that website its just the job, going to cost me a lot in taxes to take but its either that or give it away here.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Search the forum as the question has been asked just a few times before.

Generally it is not worth it.

WW
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

Thanks for that website its just the job, going to cost me a lot in taxes to take but its either that or give it away here.
Here's a thread that is fairly recent http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560726

It's not actually just the taxes that need to be taken into consideration, car needs to be spotless going into Australia & after paying for it to be done at this end they may charge you to do it again at the other. It may give you more of an insight. I know it's hellish giving things away but sometimes it's better to grab a few £'s & run than to go through the hassle & cost of taking it with you. We've just thrown out about £2000 worth of goods that even the charities won't take it's just sickening :curse:
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stepbeanie
Here's a thread that is fairly recent http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560726

It's not actually just the taxes that need to be taken into consideration, car needs to be spotless going into Australia & after paying for it to be done at this end they may charge you to do it again at the other. It may give you more of an insight. I know it's hellish giving things away but sometimes it's better to grab a few £'s & run than to go through the hassle & cost of taking it with you. We've just thrown out about £2000 worth of goods that even the charities won't take it's just sickening :curse:
The car is def worth taking what I would pay in taxes approx £12000, I would make back in Oz when i sold it because the car is worth about £15000 more in Oz plus I would probably lose about £5000 off its price here because nobody is buying. Cleaning and shipping costs aren't to bad either. Its just understanding what paper work you have to have in place etc.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

The car is def worth taking what I would pay in taxes approx £12000, I would make back in Oz when i sold it because the car is worth about £15000 more in Oz plus I would probably lose about £5000 off its price here because nobody is buying. Cleaning and shipping costs aren't to bad either. Its just understanding what paper work you have to have in place etc.
Remember in Aus it wont fetch what a genuine import would get at resale. Same as UK grey imports never make what a manuafcturer imported model would make. his fact tightens the economics.
Also some cars may need modifying - this was also discussed in a recent thread.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

paper work is quite straight forward.make sure you have the original receipt that you got when you bought it. a copy of your log book and all your pages out of your passport to show.just done it myself and it was easy though the import permit has been lost in the post:curse:but i was sent an email with all the info y shipping company and customs need to export/import it.mine is a nissan navara aventura and i stood to lose over £10,000 selling it here.god knows why as it does 30mpg and £180 a year to tax itclassed as a commercial vehicle.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:50 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

?? have you done the figures correctly then on customs duty? as it should be on comparative value to local vehicles?

Did you account for the increased luxury car tax?

What sort of vehicle is it that would command a surplus? People dont pay list price over here and surely not the price advertised initially on the web.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
?? have you done the figures correctly then on customs duty? as it should be on comparative value to local vehicles?

Did you account for the increased luxury car tax?

What sort of vehicle is it that would command a surplus? People dont pay list price over here and surely not the price advertised initially on the web.
In the literature I'm reading the customs value is calculated on the purchase price.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:10 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

In the literature I'm reading the customs value is calculated on the purchase price.
Its not, we also considered this but if the purchase price (even with receipt) is lower than local price they take the local price. That was the details given to me - so please just double check before making decision.

My understanding was the customs is taken on amongest other things:
Equivalent value of similar vehicle in Australia
Cost of shipment
Cost of insurances

Then GST is added on to all of this
Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Its not, we also considered this but if the purchase price (even with receipt) is lower than local price they take the local price. That was the details given to me - so please just double check before making decision.

My understanding was the customs is taken on amongest other things:
Equivalent value of similar vehicle in Australia
Cost of shipment
Cost of insurances

Then GST is added on to all of this
Have emailed customs and have asked them for information on all of this so hopefully thay will give me a clearer picture. Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Windsor22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please see my contribution wth the websites below.

But I have a question that hopefully somebody can help with. I want to take my "left hand drive" 1984 Porsche 911 from Canada with me to Melbourne, Vic. Everywhere I read that the car has to be "right hand drive" However, somewhere I saw that certain model (like this one) may be allowed in as LHD since it is a bit of a classic.

Can someone please help to put me in the right direction to determine is I can take my baby with me? (I also have a 2003 Boxster but believe it is too new so I would have to sell it)

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...les/index.aspx

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gistration.htm

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

Last edited by Windsor22; Sep 14th 2008 at 5:19 pm. Reason: adding website references
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:28 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many aspects to this it's not worth repeating all the time. The best suggestion I would have is to read the article I wrote, download and complete a copy of the Excel so that it is specific to your car and if you have any questions post them up.

Importing your Car to Australia

I doubt it will cost you £12k in duty, unless you own a Maybach

If you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:
  • Make
  • Model
  • Model Type
  • Body Type
  • Engine size
  • Transmission
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Mileage
  • Condition
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?
So an example would be:
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: Land Cruiser
  • Model Type: LC4
  • Body Type: 4 Door
  • Engine size: 2982cc
  • Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2
  • Year of Manufacture: 2004
  • Mileage: 15,000m
  • Condition: Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Sep 14th 2008 at 10:45 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigAPE
There are so many aspects to this it's not worth repeating all the time. The best suggestion I would have is to read the article I wrote, download and complete a copy of the Excel so that it is specific to your car and if you have any questions post them up.

Importing your Car to Australia

I doubt it will cost you £12k in duty, unless you own a Maybach

If you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:
  • Make
  • Model
  • Model Type
  • Body Type
  • Engine size
  • Transmission
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Mileage
  • Condition
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?
So an example would be:
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: Land Cruiser
  • Model Type: LC4
  • Body Type: 4 Door
  • Engine size: 2982cc
  • Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2
  • Year of Manufacture: 2004
  • Mileage: 15,000m
  • Condition: Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al
That would be great.

Make - Audi
Model - S4 Cabriolet
Model/type - S4 Quattro Auto
Body Type - Convertible
Engine Size - 4163 CC
Transmission - Tiptronic auto
Year of Manufacture - 2007
Mileage - 10,000
Condition - Excellent
Approx Value -£28000

Cheers Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.