Reload this Page >

importing a car with under 1 years ownership

importing a car with under 1 years ownership

Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

sevenofnine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default importing a car with under 1 years ownership

Hi all

Would like to know if its possible to import a car with less the 12 months ownership when migrating for the first time. All I read about relates to over a year.

Many thanks
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

nevster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: importing a car with under 1 years ownership

In a word....no.

You need to have owned it for at least 12 months.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nevster
In a word....no.

You need to have owned it for at least 12 months.

What Nevster said.

Owned (and used) for 12 months.
or

Older than 1989
or

On a pre appreved list (SEVS) with the correct compliance paperwork.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:32 am
Just Joined

sevenofnine is an unknown quantity at this point

So that would imply that the only way to import a car owned under 12 months to Australia for anyone regardless of them being a migrant is for a manufacturer to do it. That would surprise me as there must be Australian residents that have imported exotic cars for themselves as one offs but probably suffered customs tax beyond what is set down for a migrant.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sevenofnine
So that would imply that the only way to import a car owned under 12 months to Australia for anyone regardless of them being a migrant is for a manufacturer to do it. That would surprise me as there must be Australian residents that have imported exotic cars for themselves as one offs but probably suffered customs tax beyond what is set down for a migrant.
I believe that you can do it with less than 12 months ownership if you go through a third party broker/importer, but have absolutely no idea of the process.

S
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:12 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot import a car if you havent owned and used the car for less than 12 months, there is no way around it I'm afraid. It is to protect local manufacturers which is crazy as very few cars are made in Australia.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sevenofnine
You can get cars in under the SEVS scheme as I mentioned.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...evs/index.aspx

There is a list of allowed cars and you need an engineers certificate (if you can't borrow one they are about $100,000 AUD to create).

So :-
Owned and used for +12 months
Pre 1989 import.
SEVS
Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
You can get cars in under the SEVS scheme as I mentioned.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...evs/index.aspx

There is a list of allowed cars and you need an engineers certificate (if you can't borrow one they are about $100,000 AUD to create).

So :-
Owned and used for +12 months
Pre 1989 import.
SEVS
Apart from that, there is no way.

You must prove minimum of 12 months continuous ownership, including your movements in and out of your country (every passport page) for the duration of ownership.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

What a load of crap. Allows the exotic brands to literally choose the price they are selling them here from new!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

YES!! You can, I imported my BMW 2008 335i after owning it only 8 months! If you search there are a number of posts regarding imports.

It was actually the dept of transport who told me just to apply and it may go through, which it did.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 3:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenzi
YES!! You can, I imported my BMW 2008 335i after owning it only 8 months! If you search there are a number of posts regarding imports.

It was actually the dept of transport who told me just to apply and it may go through, which it did.
Dept of Transport in which State? As you probably know, very little here is the same from State to State.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:05 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Now you're getting it

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
What a load of crap. Allows the exotic brands to literally choose the price they are selling them here from new!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Dept of Transport in which State? As you probably know, very little here is the same from State to State.
Sorry it wasnt actually the Dept Of Transport, it was the Dept of Infrastructure, which deal with the whole of Australia as the call centre is in Canberra and I'm in WA.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:00 am
Banned

The Dept of Infrastructure dealt with your vehicle import ?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenzi
Sorry it wasnt actually the Dept Of Transport, it was the Dept of Infrastructure, which deal with the whole of Australia as the call centre is in Canberra and I'm in WA.
In that case http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/ would appear to be the link people would need to follow, similar to mentioned earlier?

Its a question that gets asked with monotonous regularity several times a week so any official links are useful Specially as I know didly squat about the process and just want to point people the right way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.