Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a car from the UK on a 457 visa

Importing a car from the UK on a 457 visa

Old Nov 17th 2013, 9:37 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a car from the UK on a 457 visa

Couldn't find an answer anywhere for this question so any help appreciated. Currently in Australia on a 457 visa which I hope to convert to PR in time. We have a Mazda MX5 which we left in the UK when we arrived (my late dad's pride and joy). I am looking now to see if I can import this car at some point. It is garaged currently at our old house in the UK (which friends are renting). Looking at http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/veh...tions/pis.aspx it states

Applicants must fall into one of the following categories. You must:

be an Australian citizen; or
have applied to become an Australian citizen; or
be an Australian permanent resident (e.g. hold a permanent visa); or
have applied to become an Australian permanent resident (e.g. applied for a permanent visa); or
hold a visa that allows you to apply to become an Australian permanent resident (e.g. hold a temporary visa that allows you to apply for a permanent visa); or
otherwise be entitled to remain in Australia indefinitely (e.g. is a New Zealand citizen)

Not sure where I stand on this being currently on a 457. Presumably we can't look at the import option until we have attained PR? If so, under "date of application" the website states

"Applications may be made before you arrive in Australia if you have already met the qualifications of the option under which you are applying. Alternatively, applications may be made up to 6 months after you arrive in Australia."

Does the "6 months after you arrive" also mean "6 months after you gain PR"?

Hope this makes sense and thanks for any advice
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:35 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car from the UK on a 457 visa

OK, so I have found out that I can apply to import on a 457 - next question is how long do you have to do this once your application is approved as I will have to organise this from Australia?!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
OK, so I have found out that I can apply to import on a 457 - next question is how long do you have to do this once your application is approved as I will have to organise this from Australia?!
I assume you mean the import permit? Nothing can happen until you have that. Once you have that then arrange to ship it over. Not sure what the expiry time is on the import permit.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:48 pm
DML
Forum Regular

yes, I was meaning the time frame from grant of import permit to actual importation of the car. No one seems to know, not even the exporters I have contacted
Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:57 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

From memory, when I imported my car the import permit is valid for a year. Shipping to Australia takes 5-7 weeks from leaving port in UK to arriving in Australia, and then unloading and customs clearance is another 4-5 weeks. Shipping costs, unloading, insurance and clearance fees are about 3000 pounds all up using a shared container. On top of that you have 10% GST and 10% customs duty based on the cars value plus shipping costs. Once it gets here you have to get Australian Compliance checks, blue slip and registration fees.

My car was valued at 7000 pounds and cost me about 4500 pounds all up to get it shipped and on the road. it may not be worth it unless your MX5 is worth far more here than is the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
yes, I was meaning the time frame from grant of import permit to actual importation of the car. No one seems to know, not even the exporters I have contacted
Originally Posted by spuddyo
From memory, when I imported my car the import permit is valid for a year. Shipping to Australia takes 5-7 weeks from leaving port in UK to arriving in Australia, and then unloading and customs clearance is another 4-5 weeks. Shipping costs, unloading, insurance and clearance fees are about 3000 pounds all up using a shared container. On top of that you have 10% GST and 10% customs duty based on the cars value plus shipping costs. Once it gets here you have to get Australian Compliance checks, blue slip and registration fees.

My car was valued at 7000 pounds and cost me about 4500 pounds all up to get it shipped and on the road. it may not be worth it unless your MX5 is worth far more here than is the UK.

Yeah, I think it is 12 months. I would have to dig out the Import Permit but I have moved house and will need to find it before I can check.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:14 am
DML
Forum Regular

thanks for that. Two importers have told me that in fact there isn't a time limit once the permit is issued. Otherwise I would have guessed 12 months. Its a crazy move financially but this car means so much more sentimentally to me. thanks again
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DML
thanks for that. Two importers have told me that in fact there isn't a time limit once the permit is issued. Otherwise I would have guessed 12 months. Its a crazy move financially but this car means so much more sentimentally to me. thanks again
That's good and interesting to know for future reference. Thanks for the info and good luck with the import.

And...You're welcome.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 10:53 am
DML
Forum Regular

Just a quick update - application just completed online. $50 cost. Need to apply within 6 months of arrival into Australia. Processing takes up 15 working days. Once import approval granted, no time limit on when you import - official email below

Good Afternoon,

There is no expiry dates on import approvals. They can only be used once, But your vehicle can be imported anytime in the future after being granted approval.

Regards,
Nathan

Vehicle Imports
Service Team - Team Leader

Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
Vehicle Safety Standards
GPO Box 594 Canberra ACT 2601
www.infrastructure.gov.au
Phone: 1800 815 272
Overseas callers +61 2 6274 7444
Email: [email protected]
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
Just a quick update - application just completed online. $50 cost. Need to apply within 6 months of arrival into Australia. Processing takes up 15 working days. Once import approval granted, no time limit on when you import - official email below

Good Afternoon,

There is no expiry dates on import approvals. They can only be used once, But your vehicle can be imported anytime in the future after being granted approval.

Regards,
Nathan

Vehicle Imports
Service Team - Team Leader

Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
Vehicle Safety Standards
GPO Box 594 Canberra ACT 2601
www.infrastructure.gov.au
Phone: 1800 815 272
Overseas callers +61 2 6274 7444
Email: [email protected]
Good on you, it's great when people follow up and give info that could be helpful for others. I also think it's lovely that you're keeping your Dad's car
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:02 pm
DML
Forum Regular

Apologies for updating again, but received my import permit after 10 working days. Pleased ++ :-)
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:49 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
Apologies for updating again, but received my import permit after 10 working days. Pleased ++ :-)
Congrats - how long before the car sets off?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:32 am
DML
Forum Regular

Not sure yet. Depends on a few things but at least now we can do whenever we're ready as there's no time limit.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
Not sure yet. Depends on a few things but at least now we can do whenever we're ready as there's no time limit.
That's good - you must be pleased
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.