Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing A car, regulations/rules/cost?

Importing A car, regulations/rules/cost?

Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Question Importing A car, regulations/rules/cost?

Hi all,

Has anybody taken there cars to oz with them?
I'm going to need a reliable FWD car over in oz for work, i've been checking out the Range Rovers on the australian autotrader but thay seem to be triple the price with double the mileage.
I'm thinking maybe it'll be cheaper to buy one in the uk and ship it over, as i'm only taking work tools/machines i could fit these in the boot and that will save cost to.

Can any1 advise to the cost of this and how long stuff takes to arrive when shipped!

Many thanks all.

Chris & Pam
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:00 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice
Default Re: Importing A car, regulations/rules/cost?

Originally Posted by chris96
Hi all,

Has anybody taken there cars to oz with them?
I'm going to need a reliable FWD car over in oz for work, i've been checking out the Range Rovers on the australian autotrader but thay seem to be triple the price with double the mileage.
I'm thinking maybe it'll be cheaper to buy one in the uk and ship it over, as i'm only taking work tools/machines i could fit these in the boot and that will save cost to.

Can any1 advise to the cost of this and how long stuff takes to arrive when shipped!

Many thanks all.

Chris & Pam
You need to have owned the vehicle for 12 months. Try www.karmanshipping.co.uk.

You will probably be better with a Nissan Navara or a Toyota HiLux and these will be cheaper to run than a Range Rover - and a Range Rover is too nice to throw tools in the back of.

I found the prices of Range Rovers quite reasonable, and the mileage average when converted to miles. Remember the mileage is in kilometers.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Importing A car, regulations/rules/cost?

there are loads of regulations and i get confused everytime i look through them, but its true you have to have owned the vehicle for 12 months and you havre to get it to a standard the same as an aussie car. stuff like KPH on the speedo and something about the type of gas in the aircon has to be cfc free to be allowed into oz.
thinking of taking me old 3 series beema with me as cars in QLD are so bloody expensive.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371