Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a Car to Oz

Importing a Car to Oz

Old Apr 26th 2003, 9:05 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a Car to Oz

Hi everyone,

We are thinking about transporting our car over to Oz with us not least so we can fill it full of all the stuff we were going to bring anyway. And it would be really nice to have our own car when we get there.

I know there was a good thread on here before re the same thing but I can't seem to find it again on search. I've owned the car for over a year and it's not worth that much so surely the tax shouldn't be too bad? It only cost me £2,300!

Also, is there a Fiat dealer in Oz? I don't want to get it over there and find they don't exist in Oz!

Thanks

Emma.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Emma,

Take a look at http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/shipping.php

There is a link to car shipping plus loads of info from individual removal companys.

Its not worth taking your car. ! Shipping from about £900 plus import tax etc. And for a car thats worth £2.5k.

I just sold my Celica Convertible gutted. (Now have to learn to walk because I have 9 weeks to go)

Even though it would cost me a fortune to replace in Oz, the cost of shipping was not worth it, plus Toyota dealers will not touch imports and selling it on would be difficult because its not Oz spec.

So unless the car is a prized possession or somthing that cant be bought in Oz. Get rid. !!

Last edited by karawara88; Apr 26th 2003 at 11:45 am.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 1:44 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a Car to Oz

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Hi everyone,

We are thinking about transporting our car over to Oz with us not least so we can fill it full of all the stuff we were going to bring anyway. And it would be really nice to have our own car when we get there.

I know there was a good thread on here before re the same thing but I can't seem to find it again on search. I've owned the car for over a year and it's not worth that much so surely the tax shouldn't be too bad? It only cost me £2,300!

Also, is there a Fiat dealer in Oz? I don't want to get it over there and find they don't exist in Oz!

Thanks

Emma.
Emma.. just some points of intrest ,1 goods loaded into cars will generally not be cover, ed by your insurance,2 for aa$7000 dollar car is itworth it?3 Fiats are not that common here, alfa,s seem more popular, so parts should be available, we have brand new CITROEN sitting at work the company in the UK , had not bulk headed [partioned] the loaded properly, consequently a large carton had came out of the load and landed in the middle of the bonnet, the insurance company has to get one from france, as this model is not sold in this country......MM
Old Apr 26th 2003, 3:47 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the car I'm terribly worried about, I was just thinking if we are going to have to pay a good few quid to get some of our things sent over anyway, wouldn't we be killing 2 birds with 1 stone to fill it full of things?

Thanks for link Karrawarra - will investigate further!

Em.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

we looked into taking the wifes beloved porsche, it just wasnt worth the hassle, sold it a couple of days ago, so shes on foot for 5 weeks. at the end of the day its only a car, and can be replaced.