Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a car owned for less than 12 months

Importing a car owned for less than 12 months

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:42 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Importing a car owned for less than 12 months

Hello

My husband want to bring our car with us when we move back to Oz. We have looked into the costs and, although our car is nowt special (to me) he loves it and thinks he can get nothing near as clean for the same money plus taxes, etc, in Oz.

However we have owned the car for only a few months, and will have def. have owned it for under 12 when we move. Is there any way around the "you must have owned the car for 12 months" rule? For example could a commercial car importer help? And if so what would be the associated costs?

Ta muchly

Mika
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:06 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car owned for less than 12 months

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hello

My husband want to bring our car with us when we move back to Oz. We have looked into the costs and, although our car is nowt special (to me) he loves it and thinks he can get nothing near as clean for the same money plus taxes, etc, in Oz.

However we have owned the car for only a few months, and will have def. have owned it for under 12 when we move. Is there any way around the "you must have owned the car for 12 months" rule? For example could a commercial car importer help? And if so what would be the associated costs?

Ta muchly

Mika
Because you have not owned the vehicle for 12 months, you will not be able to bring it. never heard of any way around it either.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Because you have not owned the vehicle for 12 months, you will not be able to bring it. never heard of any way around it either.
There was a thread on here many moons ago about a guy who had paid a commercial importer to import his car for him, as he didn't meet the ownership requirements. I believe that he had to pay all of the costs, and then effectively buy the car back off of the dealer at this end. So it *was* possible at one time, though I have no idea if it is now.

I also doubt that it would be a cheap and easy process. If you have a look at the threads by BigApe, you will see that it is rarely a cost effective, or stress effective thing to do.

S
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:46 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

thanks, that is basically what I thought
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:42 pm

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, that is basically what I thought
What car is it anyway?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:13 pm
Hussy

A 1998 Nissan Patrol GQ, very clean with only 40000miles
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:43 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

A 1998 Nissan Patrol GQ, very clean with only 40000miles
To ship this on a RORO it's going to cost you around:

UK Value: £3,500
Australian Value: $15,000 (£6,771)
Shipping Costs: £3,780 inc $2,050 in Duty/GST
From on-road in the UK to on-road in Australia you'll suffer a loss of around £300.

If you're going to get a professional importer to do this I would add a heap onto the importing costs as they will have to take ownership of the vehicle, etc, and they won't do it for free.

I know the market is tough for 4x4's in the UK, but the market is flush with Nissan's here, specifically Patrols which are like sand in a desert.

Good luck, but I think you'll get screwed on cost by the importer

Al
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
To ship this on a RORO it's going to cost you around:

UK Value: £3,500
Australian Value: $15,000 (£6,771)
Shipping Costs: £3,780 inc $2,050 in Duty/GST
From on-road in the UK to on-road in Australia you'll suffer a loss of around £300.

If you're going to get a professional importer to do this I would add a heap onto the importing costs as they will have to take ownership of the vehicle, etc, and they won't do it for free.

I know the market is tough for 4x4's in the UK, but the market is flush with Nissan's here, specifically Patrols which are like sand in a desert.

Good luck, but I think you'll get screwed on cost by the importer

Al
Surely it's all irrelevant if the vehicle hasn't been owned for 12months though?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:54 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair enough...just had a look on drive.com.au and they're pretty expensive ! With higher mileages too.

There's actualy a Delorean on there at the moment, I reckon you should get that instead.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Surely it's all irrelevant if the vehicle hasn't been owned for 12months though?

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. The thread I was referring to was about a guy who was unable to import personally because of the 12 month rule, so he organised a commercial importer to import the vehicle, which he then purchased off of the importer.

I can't think it's a cost effective way of doing it though - there would have to be more fees and charges than if you did it yourself. Must only be viable if you have a once in a lifetime car, and don't meet the ownership requirements.

Like that Delorean mentioned above. I would personally like to get my hands on a Ford Puma, but that's another matter entirely. Stupid Australia and their love of big wallowing cars...

S