Importing a car

Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about
Smile Importing a car

Hi

Have recently got the news that our visas has been granted , so now have to start making plans for the move to Perth.

Has anyone had experience of importing their car from the UK to Oz? Any advice/tips/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:25 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Importing a car

Originally Posted by vics
Hi

Have recently got the news that our visas has been granted , so now have to start making plans for the move to Perth.

Has anyone had experience of importing their car from the UK to Oz? Any advice/tips/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
I looked into importing our VW Golf last week - my advice...don't bother.

Unless your car holds real sentimental value, is a vintage car or is a rare car it's so expensive.

To give you an example, you have to pay 15% of the car value (forget about depreciation - it doesn't come into it!)

You then get taxed 10% on the shipping and insurance of getting the car into the country, and that's before you've hired a container!!

All in all, to take our Golf to Oz, it would have cost in the region of £6,000. Considering we'd only sell it now for £9,000!! Just ain't worth it.

Oz is trying to clamp down on personal car imports and you now have to get clearance before shipping (which means loads of forms). You then have to think about higher insurance, the possibility of not getting right parts, etc.

There is a website which explains it all a bit better than I have. If I can find it I'll post it up later.

Rob
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:30 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by samnrob2
I looked into importing our VW Golf last week - my advice...don't bother.

Unless your car holds real sentimental value, is a vintage car or is a rare car it's so expensive.

To give you an example, you have to pay 15% of the car value (forget about depreciation - it doesn't come into it!)

You then get taxed 10% on the shipping and insurance of getting the car into the country, and that's before you've hired a container!!

All in all, to take our Golf to Oz, it would have cost in the region of £6,000. Considering we'd only sell it now for £9,000!! Just ain't worth it.

Oz is trying to clamp down on personal car imports and you now have to get clearance before shipping (which means loads of forms). You then have to think about higher insurance, the possibility of not getting right parts, etc.

There is a website which explains it all a bit better than I have. If I can find it I'll post it up later.

Rob
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

Some pdf documents on the above link will explain in detail

Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about

Sorry - should have said that it is a classic car that we want to import (over 15 years old as I believe that makes a difference to the process).

Sentimental value is definitely the main reason for the import!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:40 am
Just Joined

wattle is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry - should have said that it is a classic car that we want to import (over 15 years old as I believe that makes a difference to the process).

MY parents took their old MGBGT out with them that my dad restored - years ago now... I remember it suffered quite badly with rust when it arrived due to the sea air!

About a year later he sold it without consulting with my mum to have a pool installed LOL.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:42 am
Account Closed

holsdad is an unknown quantity at this point

We are taking an MG Midget and possibly an MGF in the same container as our furniture. Getting the import permits was quick and easy and for a car over 15 years old you have 2 choices for the type of import permit (which I didn't think was clear on the form but I may have been having a thick moment). The forms look scary but most of the sections do not apply so don't worry too much. The most painful part is/will be paying for the shipping and import taxes. Agree that for a 'normal' car it may not be worth it.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:43 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Yep - over 15 years will help. Although I'm not sure what the cost implications are. The link I posted should help you.

Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

I believe the rules have changed. It now has to be 30+ years old.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about the paper work hassle. We arrived in Australia in November and our Merc (which is almost a classic) langishes outside a friend's home. We have now decided to cut our loses, wipe a tear from our eyes (sentimental value) and sell it for £4K. We bought a low milage second hand Hyundai here just to get around. A newish car but no comparison - wwll it wouldn't be would it
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:26 am
Just Joined

wattle is an unknown quantity at this point

GET THIS PEOPLE!!!!

My 6yo son got a quad bike from Santa which we thought would be great to take over to oz.... anyway word from the shippnig agents is that it is treated as a CAR!!!!

I cant believe it - its 50cc and sized for a child aged 6-12years and they are going to tax it as bloody car! arggghhhh!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:41 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ian12
I agree about the paper work hassle. We arrived in Australia in November and our Merc (which is almost a classic) langishes outside a friend's home. We have now decided to cut our loses, wipe a tear from our eyes (sentimental value) and sell it for £4K. We bought a low milage second hand Hyundai here just to get around. A newish car but no comparison - wwll it wouldn't be would it

What model/age love Mercs, is the car here? could be interested send PM

Paul J
Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko1
What model/age love Mercs, is the car here? could be interested send PM

Paul J
Still in the UK awaiting paper work to have it transported here. Would prefer to sell in UK if we could. Ian
Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:01 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ian12
Still in the UK awaiting paper work to have it transported here. Would prefer to sell in UK if we could. Ian
Yup defo sell in UK as it is still there, cut losses now

Good luck

PJ
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wattle
GET THIS PEOPLE!!!!

My 6yo son got a quad bike from Santa which we thought would be great to take over to oz.... anyway word from the shippnig agents is that it is treated as a CAR!!!!

I cant believe it - its 50cc and sized for a child aged 6-12years and they are going to tax it as bloody car! arggghhhh!
Take it to bits and import it as spare parts !!! reassemble it when you get there, just a suggestion, someone suggested it to me as I have a motorbike I want to take in a million pieces.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Hi

Thanks
Go on the KARMAN website, they have gone to a lot of trouble explaining the ins and out of importing and shipping.

The import approval form is easy, take no notice of other posters, go to www.dotars.gov.au and check it all out for yourself.

You have two options for importing a car, over 15 years old and personal import, if its over 15 years old it is simpler, if its a personal import you have to prove you have been sleeping with the car for 12 months.

As for tax, you have to pay import tax if its newer than 20 or 30 years old, seem to remeber it was 20 years when I looked, but somone said on here its changed 30 years, your vehicle is valued by customs using the Aussie value, and you have to pay GST as well, to get it on the road you have to have it inspected then pay licensing and registration.

I have had two quotes one for £1800.00 and one for £1500.00, they can pack your furniture etc over and around you car in one container.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.