Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Important upon arrival

Important upon arrival

Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Important upon arrival

Upon arrival in Australia, there are certain things which the new Expat should consider more important than others, ie registering with Medicare, getting a TFN and of course finding a job over say stocking the fridge with tinnies, getting to the beach and sparking up the barbie (which of course are also important).

But my question is to you the beautiful members - What is the single most important thing a new arrival should do?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:16 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Important upon arrival

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Upon arrival in Australia, there are certain things which the new Expat should consider more important than others, ie registering with Medicare, getting a TFN and of course finding a job over say stocking the fridge with tinnies, getting to the beach and sparking up the barbie (which of course are also important).

But my question is to you the beautiful members - What is the single most important thing a new arrival should do?
These are the gov guides to what to do on arrival and when
http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/booklets/select/eng.htm
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
These are the gov guides to what to do on arrival and when
http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/booklets/select/eng.htm
Yes, I had a look at them, there is a good checklist at the front, but as you progress through the booklet, it seems to be based more at the sort of immigrant we are used to in the UK!

But its opinions I am after not help. What do you consider the single most important thing?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:23 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

sleep - you'll be knackered

r
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:24 pm

Yes, I had a look at them, there is a good checklist at the front, but as you progress through the booklet, it seems to be based more at the sort of immigrant we are used to in the UK!
Get you going a guess , you might not need the bit on torture
What you do other that paperwork stuff IE tax numbers etc is up to you.
If money is tight then guess job hits top of the list .
Other wise it might be find the best bottle shop
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:34 pm
BLC

If you are like me and

a. Don't like flying
b. Don't like people and stuck on a plane full of the buggers

Kiss the ground

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

take a shower?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:33 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Manxfamily,
I would advise a nice warm shower, and then a good long sleep!

Bye
Mark
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Manxfamily,

Bye
Mark
lots of smelly expats then?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Manxfamily,

Bye
Mark
na just have a good ole pomy shower , start as you mean to go on
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:37 pm
Deb,Dave&Adam

sunsetsmiler will become famous soon enoughsunsetsmiler will become famous soon enough

Sorry but mine would be to have a ciggy (boo hiss outcast)