Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

import tax on new stuff

import tax on new stuff

Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default import tax on new stuff

I'm sure the removals company told me something about GST on new items being shipped but can't seem to find any details. Is it only brand new stuff or is it stuff that's less than 6 months old? Somebody has just bought me quite an expensive present and I'll be using it in the next few weeks so it won't be brand new but the removals company are coming in 4 weeks.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: import tax on new stuff

can you not tell them that its new??? make out that you have had it longer?????
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

havent heard of this I was going to buy a new dyson to take, one for me and one for a friend who's already there. I was just going to leave it in the box (save using it and having to clean it before we go!!)

Is it worth doing and how much do you get charged ??
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

midwife just leave the box and you will be fine
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Thats great news - cheers

PS; Hitchcock71 - Glad your 'crap day' got better
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwife2be
Thats great news - cheers

PS; Hitchcock71 - Glad your 'crap day' got better
Take any old receipts you have. I believe the tax is 10% and is on anything under 12 months old. I have heard also that if they suspect something is less than 12 months old, you have to prove otherwise. I have most of my receipts for all my electronic stuff to prove it's older than 12 months. I have the original boxes for most of my gear and they all look new, I'm sure to get pulled up about it, so I am going armed with a folder full of receipts.

You are supposed to declare anything that's under 12 months old. We will declare a few things and also buy a new vacuum and declare that - it's still cheaper than buying on over there, and I figure if we declare a few things, they may not be so picky in deciding which things they think are new themselves.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Techno Freak;5040392]

You are supposed to declare anything that's under 12 months old.

Does that include presents though as you can't supply receipts for them?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mooncat;5040420]
Originally Posted by Techno Freak

You are supposed to declare anything that's under 12 months old.

Does that include presents though as you can't supply receipts for them?
I dont know about that?

It's a gamble I suppose - dont delacare it, and chances are they wont pull you up over it., but if they do pull you up on it and you can't say when it was bought and for how much, they will decide what it's worth and charge you what they want.

I dare say there will be an Australian government website with the details somewhere? I'll have a look when I get chance.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Techno Freak;5040437]
Originally Posted by mooncat

I dont know about that?

It's a gamble I suppose - dont delacare it, and chances are they wont pull you up over it., but if they do pull you up on it and you can't say when it was bought and for how much, they will decide what it's worth and charge you what they want.

I dare say there will be an Australian government website with the details somewhere? I'll have a look when I get chance.
Very very few people get pulled up on stuff - they are only really worried about large items, or people importing a lot of things so that it looks like they may be trying to sell them on and profit from them. I think I've only ever seen one or two mentioned on here, for example.
If the items look used you should be OK

Also they can't charge what they like, they will have to look at the price of the item from various suppliers, and charge you 10% (thats the GST amount).

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 11th 2007 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:14 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Just be careful with this one - I had a friend who had their things looked over and some stuff looked suspiciously new - customs/excise can sometimes tell if soething is less than 12 months old. For example, my friend had an xbox games console where the looked up the manufacture date from the serial number (was less than 12 months old)
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road

Just a question on this. Obviously you have to do the right thing and declare anything that is under 12 months old. If very very few people get picked up on this, does that mean that the declaration is just overlooked, even if we have admitted that we do have taxable goods?

We have heaps of cds and dvds and books that are constantly getting bought - should we declare some to see what they say? We still have receipts for a lot of them.

Also, our daughter is only a year and a half so many of her toys are still newish. Do you think they would really bother to tax these? I imagine she will receive more stuff before we leave aswell, as goodbye presents.

As anyone here actually been taxed on small things like toys or cds or books?

Cheers everyone.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:53 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

In all honestly I think that the customs people are pretty good - they really aren't interested in people importing personal CD's and kids toys! They are probably more interested in people trying to import hundreds of CD's to sell or expensive items!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

I hope you're right! That's what I wanted to hear!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:12 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolk
Just a question on this. Obviously you have to do the right thing and declare anything that is under 12 months old. If very very few people get picked up on this, does that mean that the declaration is just overlooked, even if we have admitted that we do have taxable goods?

We have heaps of cds and dvds and books that are constantly getting bought - should we declare some to see what they say? We still have receipts for a lot of them.

Also, our daughter is only a year and a half so many of her toys are still newish. Do you think they would really bother to tax these? I imagine she will receive more stuff before we leave aswell, as goodbye presents.

As anyone here actually been taxed on small things like toys or cds or books?

Cheers everyone.
Its not that obvious.

You declare something, you'll be taxed on it as an import. Do what everyone else has done - dont bother. Yes, myself included.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, but are you not better off being honest from the start? If they do decide that you should be paying GST on some things, will you not get in more trouble for not declaring it? That's the case at the airports, is it not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.