Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

import duty gst on internet goods

import duty gst on internet goods

Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default import duty gst on internet goods

i have bought Rob a pair of stilts(he is a plasterer) bought them from america off the internet. price $229.99 with$98.28 p&p total $328.27 au. when we checked the shipping progress it said they were being held in melbourne until payment had been made. rang them up to be informed that we would have to pay $100 extra to get them (import duty & gst). Rob informed them that they were a gift,to be told by the person on the other end in a rather nasty tone, "it's obvious they are not" they said someone would ring me the next day to arrange payment then they would be released. been waiting all morning for someone to ring, knock on the door, here is my package. will i be receiving a bill through the post do you think?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: import duty gst on internet goods

Originally Posted by robert cowan
i have bought Rob a pair of stilts(he is a plasterer) bought them from america off the internet. price $229.99 with$98.28 p&p total $328.27 au. when we checked the shipping progress it said they were being held in melbourne until payment had been made. rang them up to be informed that we would have to pay $100 extra to get them (import duty & gst). Rob informed them that they were a gift,to be told by the person on the other end in a rather nasty tone, "it's obvious they are not" they said someone would ring me the next day to arrange payment then they would be released. been waiting all morning for someone to ring, knock on the door, here is my package. will i be receiving a bill through the post do you think?
I've bought loads of stuff of the net, particularly from the States and have not had to pay any duty or gst. You may be lucky and they'll not bother you or you may not. Seems very hit and miss.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:10 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: import duty gst on internet goods

Originally Posted by robert cowan
US International Shipping usually requires the shipper put the value and name on the consignment on it. If its got a big label on saying "Stilts Inc" Customer...you etc as well, then that would be pretty obvious. You normally get asked to pay in such obvious instances sadly

If its being sent courier then the company usually deliver on a COD basis for the duty as requested.

Bad Luck