Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

import duty on alcahol

import duty on alcahol

Old Jun 7th 2006, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

TheKellys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default import duty on alcahol

can anybody out there advise on any duty payable on bottles of champagne (5)and a couple of bottles of jack daniels . I want to put them in my container next monday but have been told that they could cost me up to £15 a bottle just in duty .the way i see it is i have 3 options
1 pay the money begrudgingly when we get there
2 smuggle them in and blame the kids if we are caught !!!
3 go on a proper bender and down the lot

and then sleep it off for a couple of days

anybody got any advice which does not include giving it away !!

thanks
Tony
Old Jun 7th 2006, 8:40 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: import duty on alcahol

[QUOTE= 2 smuggle them in and blame the kids if we are caught !!!
[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine smuggled alcohol in and was intending to blame the packers if caught. She wasn't and therefore started off here with a very nice cocktail cabinet - mind you after having us round a few times we soon made a dent in it!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

TheKellys is an unknown quantity at this point

I will blame the kids if caught but would like to know what the implications would be , ie where would i find a guideline for the cost , does anybody know of a site that covers this
if not i'll just get pi**ed anyway

Tony
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:23 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Drink them tonight then buy yourself some more at duty free when you arrive!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:32 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKellys
can anybody out there advise on any duty payable on bottles of champagne (5)and a couple of bottles of jack daniels . I want to put them in my container next monday but have been told that they could cost me up to £15 a bottle just in duty .the way i see it is i have 3 options

thanks
Tony
I bought my better half a '66 vintage port about 5 years ago and it cost £120 back then (Valentines present). What will we be hit with for this then, do you know?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future

Hi, Our packers wrapped alchohol and put them in the kitchenware boxes. We had approx 8 bottles wine, 4 of spirits and 2 champagne. The boxes werent checked. I guess I just thought I would pay the duty if they were discovered, didnt think about getting into any trouble.Perhaps a bit silly in retrospect?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKellys

thanks
Tony
Isn't there a clause somewhere, that if you record them down as a "collection", the duty isn't as much?????