Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Implications of taking citizenship

Implications of taking citizenship

Old May 15th 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future
Default Re: Implications of taking citizenship

only advantage of aussie citizenship is an easy passage through the clowns at MLB and SYD.

no more , no less.

I leave Oz regularly on an Oz Pass and enter UK/Europe on a UK one.

Old May 15th 2008, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Having to eat a vegemite sandwich as part of the citizenship ceremony
Old May 15th 2008, 8:29 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ossigeno
The only potential negatives of doing this I'm aware of are:
  1. Obligation to vote
  2. Cannot take Australian accumulated Super back to UK if ever decide to return. But can if remain as a resident only.
To see someone describe an 'obligation to vote' as a 'potential negative' really, really raises my hackles.

Have you any idea the measures and sacrifices that have been taken (and still are) by people around the world in order to have the right to vote ?
Obviously not.
Old May 15th 2008, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deryans
only advantage of aussie citizenship is an easy passage through the clowns at MLB and SYD
I can see how it helps to get you into Sydney but you'd be a clown to think it gives you easy passage into Florida.

Last year our friends flew into MEL and booked the hire car in MLB.
Old May 16th 2008, 3:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I can see how it helps to get you into Sydney but you'd be a clown to think it gives you easy passage into Florida.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Last year our friends flew into MEL and booked the hire car in MLB.
Oops!!!!!
Old May 16th 2008, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
You know its true, you really do learn something every day, that's 4 things I didn't know were implications of becoming a citizen!!!!. I knew you would be allowed to vote, but didn't know you had to. I definately didn't know that if you become a citizen you can't move any super back to the UK should you go back.
Permanent residents can't do that either, so the advice was well meaning but wrong.

I also didnt know you had to travel on your oz passport, why can;t you travel using your british one????
Because how on earth are the Australians going to know you are a citizen (on arrival) if you don't carry a passport to prove it?

You can do what you like overseas.

I wrongly presumed that it would be like the UK and that you could only get called up if you were actually in the army or reserves, so there you are I've learnt a few things today
Permanent residents could be conscripted just like citizens.
Old May 16th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stariston
having half your brain removed and given a pair of thongs

Yep, we're booked in for our lobotomies....

(OMG I hope I spelt that right!! )
Old May 16th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
To see someone describe an 'obligation to vote' as a 'potential negative' really, really raises my hackles.

Have you any idea the measures and sacrifices that have been taken (and still are) by people around the world in order to have the right to vote ?
Obviously not.
I know what you mean, I cant understand how having the right to have a say in how the country is run could possibly be a negative....
Old May 16th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Permanent residents could be conscripted just like citizens.
Quite right. They have been in the past.

My husband delayed his immigration to Australia until he was 21 (he was originally coming when he was 18). Had he arrived before he was 21, he could potentially have been drafted to Vietnam - even though he was a British citizen only.
Old May 16th 2008, 4:18 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stariston
having half your brain removed and given a pair of thongs

hope no Born Australians reading
I was ripped off,I didn't get any thongs:curse:
Old May 16th 2008, 5:40 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
We've been 3 yrs in Australia now and it seems an appropriate time to consider taking citizenship. The only potential negatives of doing this I'm aware of are:
  1. Obligation to vote
  2. Cannot take Australian accumulated Super back to UK if ever decide to return. But can if remain as a resident only.

Does anyone know of any other implications?
Here's a good implication FOR citizenship. You get to stay here.

Because otherwise you are still going to have to apply for RRV's should you leave the country and be at the mercy of any immigration law changes in future years.

If its someone's intention to stay here and getting Australian Citizenship does not interfere with the original citizenship (some country's require you give up citizenship of the first country and cannot hold dual nationality), I personally think you would be mad not to.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

gormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nice

We fly out to OZ 25 th May does this mean we can,t leave OZ till we have OZ passport? sorry but how long do you have to be in OZ to get qualify for OZ passport we have PR visa Thanks in Advance
Old May 16th 2008, 6:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gormac
We fly out to OZ 25 th May does this mean we can,t leave OZ till we have OZ passport? sorry but how long do you have to be in OZ to get qualify for OZ passport we have PR visa Thanks in Advance
You will have to meet the residence requirements for citizenship and become a citizen before you can think about getting an Oz passport. The requirement will depend on when your PR visa was granted...basically if 1st July 2007 or after you will need 4 years of residence, otherwise 2 years.

So you will continue to travel on your UK passport / PR Visa until you become an Aus citizen.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:39 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gormac
Your PR Visa is usually valid for 5 years from date of issue. Have a look at it and you should see an expiry date. You can come and go on this visa until it expires. After it expires (and if you haven't got citizenship) then you need to apply for Resident Return Visas if you want to travel overseas.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
You have to travel abroad on an Aus passport even if you retain your British one. I'm not saying this is a negative, but it is an implication.
Haven't read the whole thread so someone might have said this already. You don't have to travel abroad on your Australian passport. The only thing you have to do isleave and enter Australia on that passport. When you are outside the country you can use whatever passport is most convenient. Have done it many times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.