Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

immunisations and the family assistance office

immunisations and the family assistance office

Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:48 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default immunisations and the family assistance office

Hi guys, hope someone can help me....we're getting letter after letter after letter from the family assistance office saying that unless we get Libbys vaccinations up to date within 21 days they're going to stop our money resulting in us having to pay full kindergarten fees.

The vaccination in question is hepititis B, which isn't given in England but is over here.

Do I have to get this done or is there a way around it?

Also if I do give Libby the vaccination, I understand it's a course of 3 atleast 28 days apart...how the hell am I supposed to get all these done within 21 days!! don't they realise the timescale involved.

Can anyone advise please?
Old Feb 6th 2006, 11:13 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: immunisations and the family assistance office

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi guys, hope someone can help me....we're getting letter after letter after letter from the family assistance office saying that unless we get Libbys vaccinations up to date within 21 days they're going to stop our money resulting in us having to pay full kindergarten fees.

The vaccination in question is hepititis B, which isn't given in England but is over here.

Also if I do give Libby the vaccination, I understand it's a course of 3 atleast 28 days apart...how the hell am I supposed to get all these done within 21 days!! don't they realise the timescale involved.

You are not required to have this vaccine administered if you do not wish to. To continue receiving your benefits you need to lodge a conscientious objection with your Centrelink office. Your objection will be registered and there should be no further problem with your benefits. Vaccination in Australia is not mandatory, and you cannot be forced to vaccinate your child in order to continue to receive state benefits.

You can download a conscientious objection form from http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...ction_form.pdf

HTH.

Sue
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Neither Henry or Bobby have had the Hep B. I haven't heard anything from centrelink about it and I have given Henry's red immunisation book in at his kinder for them to photocopy his records and have heard nothing. I do hope I don't get a letter now requesting he has the jabs. We promised him last year that there were to be no more after his MMR boosters, not to keen on the needles.

Good luck in sorting it out
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:32 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at that form in the morning.

Rachel, we promised Libby there was to be no more jabs after her mmr aswell. It took about a month for us to recieve the first letter so if you were going to hear anything I think you would've by now.

Marie
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at that form in the morning.

Rachel, we promised Libby there was to be no more jabs after her mmr aswell. It took about a month for us to recieve the first letter so if you were going to hear anything I think you would've by now.

Marie

Maybe rules differ in each state. Are you going to give her the injections?
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:10 am
GC family day carer

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
Maybe rules differ in each state. Are you going to give her the injections?

Nope, she's not having it. No more needles for her until she's older. I'm gonna print the form off, see the doctor and send it in to centrelink.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nope, she's not having it. No more needles for her until she's older. I'm gonna print the form off, see the doctor and send it in to centrelink.

Don't blame you, I wouldn't want Henry to have any more jabs for a while, good luck with centrelink