Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Immunisations - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis Vaccine (dTpa)

Immunisations - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis Vaccine (dTpa)

Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

samanthac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immunisations - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis Vaccine (dTpa)

Hello,

I have got a job in syndey as a nurse I am going through the gruelling task of waiting for my registration
My future employers say that I need to be immunised against pertussis but this is not a vaccine that is regularly offered in the UK, i wondered if anyone else had this problem and if they managed to arrange for this jab before leaving

thank you in advance for any help

sam
Old Aug 13th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immunisations - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis Vaccine (dTpa)

It is possible to have the vaccination in the UK before leaving, info here. Alternatively, you can get it done when you get here. I had to have various vaccinations last year prior to clinical placements and I think that whooping cough was one of them.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:31 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Did you not have it as a child? It's given routinely in the triple vaccine in infancy (plus a pre school booster) unless it's withheld for medical reasons, or parental choice. I'm sure, as a nurse you'll know it's the whooping cough part of the vaccine, so I'm sorry if I'm telling you something you're already aware of.
If you're under around 45 you should have had it. Check with your gp and if you've not been immunised for some reason, you can have it free of charge.
You could also have a blood test to check your immunity status, if you're unsure.

Last edited by CEM; Aug 14th 2011 at 6:36 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

The childhood whooping coffee vaccine wears off over time and so even if the OP has had it as a child she will need a new shot. The Aus government is providing free adult whooping cough vaccinations for all new parents, which is why I have had both the childhood and adult shots. If you can't get it done in the UK it is very easy to have done once in Australia. All GP's here stock them.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Both Mrs Wol and I got whooping cough a few months back but trying to get the doctors to accept it was difficult. Only when the tests came back positive did they believe us. It's almost an epidemic in parts of NSW yet it's only in the last few weeks that it's been publicised in surgeries.

Not a nice disease for adults - not for nothing is it called the 100-day cough.