Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Immunisations for 1 year old emigrating from UK to Aus

Immunisations for 1 year old emigrating from UK to Aus

Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:46 am
Moving to Aus Nov 2013

salibcn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immunisations for 1 year old emigrating from UK to Aus

Hi, We will be emigrating to Australia in a couple of months time and just wanted to check if anyone knew whether I need to request specific immunisations for my son who will be turning 1 shortly so that he is in line with the Aussie system?

He is due to have his 12 months Hib/Men C, MMR and PCV in a weeks time. I know in Australia the immunisation schedule calls for Hep B & rotavirus immunisations before the age of 1 - do I need to somehow get these done for my son here too? Also, I know they do the Varicella vaccine, but think this is only from 18 months - so we can hopefully get this done when we are in Aus.

Any advice would be great - thanks
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immunisations for 1 year old emigrating from UK to Aus

Any jabs he's due to have before you move over, have them done. When you come you need to bring his immunisation record and then carry on with the rest of his jabs over here.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to check with your GP but if your son is due to get the 12 month vaccines, he's probably too late to get the rota ones which have an upper age limit.

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/in...andbook10-4-17

Vaccination of older infants, children or adults is not recommended. Infants should commence the course of rotavirus vaccination within the recommended age limits for the 1st dose and doses should not be given beyond the upper age limits for the final dose of the vaccine course (see ‘Infants’ above). The incidence of severe rotavirus infection decreases with increasing age and the benefit and safety profile of rotavirus vaccination in older infants and children has not been established.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:16 pm
Moving to Aus Nov 2013

salibcn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I'll check with our GP about the rotavirus.