Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Immigration Lawyers? Do they all cost the same?

Immigration Lawyers? Do they all cost the same?

Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Immigration Lawyers? Do they all cost the same?

Just joined tonight and we have a million and one questions!!!!
Firstly - we've found a lawyer by going to one of those City Centre seminars. We've borrowed money from my mum to pay them and we're just waiting for that money to clear. Now I'm panicking. What if its dearer than all the rest. Does everyone shop around or take the first one if they seem nice!

Has anyone else dealt with aml ( australian migration lawyers) office in Bundall QLD and here in Norfolk. They seemed really nice and said we had a good chance so do we stick with them? Help. Just dont know what to do. Feel I'm writing to an Agony Aunt page!!! So come on BE please help,

Signed, confused and broke from MADCHESTER !!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:29 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyers? Do they all cost the same?

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Firstly - we've found a lawyer by going to one of those City Centre seminars. We've borrowed money from my mum to pay them and we're just waiting for that money to clear. Now I'm panicking. What if its dearer than all the rest. Does everyone shop around or take the first one if they seem nice!

Has anyone else dealt with aml ( australian migration lawyers) office in Bundall QLD and here in Norfolk. They seemed really nice and said we had a good chance so do we stick with them? Help. Just dont know what to do. Feel I'm writing to an Agony Aunt page!!! So come on BE please help,

Welcome to the forum Elljay.

What type of visa is it you are applying for?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:32 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Immigration Lawyers? Do they all cost the same?

Hi, My wife used an agent for her spouse visa in WA, the agents fees were $2300, plus the cost of the application. We too chose the first agent we spoke to because she was nice and she also had to borrow the money from her Dad !!!, the agent done a good job as my wife received her permanent visa a week ago, i wish you much luck in your application and hope you have as much success as my wife !.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the obvious question to ask is.... Do you NEED to use an agent? Is your case straight forward. If you've got an 'in demand' skill and you have enough points based on the Australian immigration test, then you can do the application on your own.

Loads of people on here have done it on their own with no agent, and saved themselves $1000's. There is tons of info on this forum for doing it on your own,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 13th 2005, 6:13 am
Just Joined

winter375 will become famous soon enough

Hi Elljay
First, don't worry, everybody freaks out now and then during the immigration process.
If you use an agent, make sure he's registered with THE MARA (www.themara.com.au). The fee of an agent depends on the type of visa you want. We paid AUD 5'000 (inkl. skills assessment) for a 138 with two people on.
Whether you want to use an agent also depends on your personal situation. If your case is straight forward, you enjoy gathering information yourself, filling in forms diligently and don't mind if the process is hold up for minor mistakes, than you really can do it on your own.
The thing that would worry me more is the fact that you already had to borrow money for the migration lawyer. Migrating is rather expensive (application fees, medicals, flights, your first months or weeks in OZ without a job...) so make sure you will have the proper funds to embark on this adventure.
Hope this helps a bit!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Red face Re: Immigration Lawyers? Do they all cost the same?

My first ever reply...gee thanks!!
Visa applying for is husband not under 45 so he has to find a job with a company that will sponsor him! Easier said than done. I Know. He's a skilled sheet metal worker which is on the list.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: Immigration Lawyers? Do they all cost the same?

Thanks for your advice. will bear it all in mind. congrats on getting your visa through last week.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Immigration Lawyers? Do they all cost the same?

Hi ELLJAY,

We got our Visa accepted last week didn't use an agent because we has a straight forward case, however this is not the best thing for everyone especially if yours is not straight forward and one thing you don't get when you do it your self is someone to ask questions too, which is why I love this site.

Good luck with your application and remember to take some of the negative posts on this website with a pinch of salt, I dunno some people are never happy
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:03 am
Account Closed

Hi Simond1,

Great post thanks. I know what you mean about negative replies! Everyone is in a totally different situation so it s great to get advice but at the end of the day you have to really go with what you feel.
We are going to go with a lawyer for exactly tthe reason you stated.
Have a good day.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:07 am
Account Closed

Hi Homer
(Not called Simpson by any chance?!)
Thanks for post. Great to know I'm not the only one borrowing money off parents!!!!

Do you ever get "You wont be able to come running to me for money when your on the other side of the world!!!!)

from Marge (may be called Simpson too!)