Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Immigration to Brisbane

Immigration to Brisbane

Old Jul 5th 2003, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Martin Hales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration to Brisbane

We are Martin and Jackie and are hoping to emigrate to Cleveland, Brisbane in the next 12 months. Currently we live in Southampton, Hampshire and have a great interest in sailing.

We spent last Christmas in the area and found the people extremely friendly and really liked the whole area from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast.

We have both taken early retirement and are keen to hear from people who are already living or in the process of moving to Brisbane.

Look forward to receiving info regarding your experiences.
Old Jul 5th 2003, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration to Brisbane

Originally posted by Martin Hales
We are Martin and Jackie and are hoping to emigrate to Cleveland, Brisbane in the next 12 months. Currently we live in Southampton, Hampshire and have a great interest in sailing.

We spent last Christmas in the area and found the people extremely friendly and really liked the whole area from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast.

We have both taken early retirement and are keen to hear from people who are already living or in the process of moving to Brisbane.

Hi,

My family and I are hoping to move to the Caboolture area at the end of this year, also to retire early. It is a lovely area, have not been for seven years so will see a lot of change. It is in the right area for a shopping trip to Brisbane, 45 minutes drive.
I am waiting for my skills assessment to be sent, hopefully any day now.
Best of luck to you both.

Phil.
Old Jul 5th 2003, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We used to live near Winchester, so know all about Southampton!! We`re currently in Capalaba - a stone`s throw from Cleveland - so know a bit about that too!!!

Cleveland is a LOVELY place to retire to. It`s not as humid as Brisbane itself, being close to the bay, and there are plenty of places to sail to around here - Moreton Bay and its islands should keep you busy for quite a while...

The town centre of Cleveland is very well kept, and the high street areas (Bloomfield st/South st.) have all the shops you need for day to day living.

Try and steer clear of Raby Bay property (reclaimed land, canal-style living for the yuppies - vastly overpriced and not very well built!). There are lots of nice, fairly reasonably priced houses in Cleveland itself - try www.propertyguide.com.au and enter "Cleveland" - you`ll see all the properties for sale in the area there.

The Cleveland Symphony Orchestra does some fairly decent concerts in the town, and, depending on what age you are, for retired people there are plenty of clubs etc.

The surrounding areas are also good for sailing - particularly Manly/Wynnum - a 20 minute drive - which have a decent marina and a good yacht club I believe.

If you need any more info. let me know - I`ll try and help!!!
Old Jul 5th 2003, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Martin,
in case you haven't noticed there's a group of us meeting tomorrow in a pub near Romsey. There's a thread about it called 'Hampshire meet' a few pages back. Come along if you can..

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jul 5th 2003, 10:45 am
Just Joined

jtipping is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Martin
My partner Glenn and I live in Warsash near Southampton and hope to go to or near the Cleveland area too. We hope to land in Brissy in November.
Jan