Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Immigrating alone - no strings attached thread

Immigrating alone - no strings attached thread

Old May 19th 2005, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

italian_brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating alone - no strings attached thread

I am in the process of applying for my PR as i have the points for independent skilled migration. I was so excited about going back to australia(as i went on a WHV 2 years ago). But last time i went i was with friends. I am sometimes having second thoughts, as im very close to my family and all friends are here in uk.
Going to australia alone and starting a new life is daunting.

Is anyone else having these thoughts ?
Old May 20th 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

LauraIreland will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by italian_brit
I am in the process of applying for my PR as i have the points for independent skilled migration. I was so excited about going back to australia(as i went on a WHV 2 years ago). But last time i went i was with friends. I am sometimes having second thoughts, as im very close to my family and all friends are here in uk.
Going to australia alone and starting a new life is daunting.

Is anyone else having these thoughts ?

To All the solos,
glad to find so many of us!
This is my attempt at returning to oz, following some visits decided to go on a WHMV last year headed off on my own and thoroughly enjoyed the experience made tons of Aussie friendsand experienced true Aussie lifestyle rather than the warped version alot of WHMVs get cos they go in gangs and hang out in expat pubs and live with other WHMVs .
I loved it so much that I am desperate to get back. Although I do have lots of Aussie friends who I am "going home " to it is still terribly hard to leave family and friends you have known all your life and go as far away from them as you can be!!
All that said even if I didn't know a soul in Oz I would still be going back it is such an amazing country!
Ps Fabie I will be in Noosa and Brisbane is my shopping playground so it would be great to meet up some time hopefully I will get back soon
Laura
Old May 20th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Rockville is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
I too am going it alone, well except for my three year old!! Arriving in Sydney early Sept.
As there are so many of us going or already in Sydney maybe some get together should be arranged?
Rockville
Old May 21st 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm 24f, single and planning on emigrating alone next year. Live in London at the mo with parents to save up for it, plus I am tied to my job for the next year as they paid for me to do a post grad. As soon as I can leave though I'm coming!! I'm very scared at the thought of moving to a foreign country where I will know no one. I've got rellies in Brisbane and Cairns but I intend to live in Sydney (though maybe Melb or Perth - undecided as yet!). If I don't do it I'll always wonder "what if?" plus I can always come back again.

I'm tempted to avoid Sydney purely as I don't want to be tarred by the Brit backpacker brush. How have others found it?
Old May 21st 2005, 11:25 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I applaud each and everyone of you
if I were single I wouldnt hesitate
Good luck to you all