British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Immigrating alone - no strings attached thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/immigrating-alone-no-strings-attached-thread-295453/)

swissfabs Apr 9th 2005 7:48 pm

Immigrating alone - no strings attached thread

Hi there,

Since i read about a few of you going to oz alone and i already cannot remember your names and plans, i thought i would start a thread. lets see how many of us are heading down under on our own...

I am 26 y.o., female, swiss and italian, going in September. I do not really mind where in oz i end up as long as i get great job opportunities in my field.
I have spent 4 years in oz in total and lived in sydney and on the gold coast.

what about you?

fabie

scutterUK Apr 9th 2005 10:29 pm

Re: Immigrating alone - no strings attached thread

hi fabie.

I came out here on my own, and to the amazement of most of the family, but it was the best move i ever made! To me it seems the best way to go as you have nobody else to consider or pay for! ;)

I just wanted to say to you and everyone else going it alone Good luck and all the best.

Leigh

storerg Apr 9th 2005 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by scutterUK
hi fabie.

I came out here on my own, and to the amazement of most of the family, but it was the best move i ever made! To me it seems the best way to go as you have nobody else to consider or pay for! ;)

I just wanted to say to you and everyone else going it alone Good luck and all the best.

Leigh

Leigh,
What is Canberra like, I was not planning to settle there but have just been offered a job I cannot refuse.
Guy

Flying Banana Apr 10th 2005 5:15 am

Yup I moved alone as well ( well apart from two moggies), not much family left in the UK and no other ties so figured if was going to do it now was the time.

swissfabs Apr 10th 2005 8:50 am

Its funny or maybe scary to some but i think moving alone is very easy for me. i am not scared whatsoever about discovering new places, new people etc. i think its also a very important part of the whole adventure.

I know its going to be hard leaving my parents and brother behind, but my parents are currently applying for a retirement visa so thats a great start! what is going to be the hardest is leaving my boyfriend behind... Jay loves it here in the alps in switzerland and for me it feels that i am missing a triangle in my trivial pursuit "little round piece"... if you see what i mean. once i have this triangle, i will reconsider maybe, or Jay will, who knows...

one think i know is that i just can't wait to land in brisbane again! feel the humidity and the ocean breeze.

i cant wait to hear about your stories!

fabie

Monkey Apr 10th 2005 11:41 am

In article <[email protected]> ,
[email protected] (swissfabs) wrote:

> *Subject:* Immigrating alone - no strings attached thread
    > *From:* swissfabs <[email protected]>
    > *Date:* Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:48:31 +0000
    >
    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Since i read about a few of you going to oz alone and i already cannot
    > remember your names and plans, i thought i would start a thread. lets
    > see how many of us are heading down under on our own...
    >
    > I am 26 y.o., female, swiss and italian, going in September. I do not
    > really mind where in oz i end up as long as i get great job
    > opportunities in my field.
    > I have spent 4 years in oz in total and lived in sydney and on the
    > gold coast.
    >
    > what about you?
    >
    > fabie
    >
    > --
    > fabie
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

I came to Sydney on my own a couple of months ago and it's been good
fun so far. No regrets.. well, just one maybe, that I didn't do it
years ago.

Paul

markeh Apr 10th 2005 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hi there,

Since i read about a few of you going to oz alone and i already cannot remember your names and plans, i thought i would start a thread. lets see how many of us are heading down under on our own...

I am 26 y.o., female, swiss and italian, going in September. I do not really mind where in oz i end up as long as i get great job opportunities in my field.

what about you?

fabie

Hiya Swissfabs,

If I had't had got married then I would have done it alone a year ago.

I've done a holiday to Oz to validate on my own and found it fine.
I did miss company though, but being single hads it's advantages :rolleyes:

Bye
Mark

Corinna Apr 10th 2005 12:27 pm

Hi there,

what about you?

fabie

Hi Fabie!

I am also doing it on my own. Think it´s a lot easier than with a family, it´s only one person to worry about "moneywise". :)
33 years old, german, leaving in May, destination Townsville. Don´t have a job yet, but hope to find one within a few weeks/months. Am a trained wall and floor tiler and also pastry cook (weird combination, I know :D ), so I hope it will not be too hard finding work.

Corinna

seang Apr 10th 2005 1:01 pm

Another one going alone. Will be Sydney as well. Have to validate first and then make the move a little later in the year.
At one point was hoping to make it WA but sense pervailed (no disrespect to WA'ers just wouldnt have worked for me initially)

Mastermind Apr 10th 2005 1:02 pm

Hi there,

what about you?

fabie

Hi Fabie,

I'm going alone too. As a single, you are more flexible and you can move to another location much easier without a family. It causes also less stress when you need more time to find an appropriate job.
I think I wouldn't dare to make this huge step with a family.

Fred

Corinna Apr 10th 2005 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mastermind
Hi Fabie,

I'm going alone too. As a single, you are more flexible and you can move to another location much easier without a family. It causes also less stress when you need more time to find an appropriate job.
I think I wouldn't dare to make this huge step with a family.

Fred

Hey Fred,
great to "meet" someone else from Germany on this forum :D

Corinna

swissfabs Apr 10th 2005 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Corinna
Hey Fred,
great to "meet" someone else from Germany on this forum :D

Corinna

I noticed there were 2 germans going alone, well, I am swiss but germany is not too far from me! Welcome to this thread! and thank you everyone for your replies.

Its sunday night in Verbier and it snowed again! I just cant wait for the sun. Funny enough, i am a mountain girl, always thought as the beach as something which isnt really part of me. but since my last year spent in oz, i realise that i much prefer the climate down under - i am always cold in switzerland now.

fabie

Corinna Apr 10th 2005 9:04 pm

I noticed there were 2 germans going alone, well, I am swiss but germany is not too far from me! Welcome to this thread! and thank you everyone for your replies.

Its sunday night in Verbier and it snowed again! I just cant wait for the sun. Funny enough, i am a mountain girl, always thought as the beach as something which isnt really part of me. but since my last year spent in oz, i realise that i much prefer the climate down under - i am always cold in switzerland now.

fabie

Too right! Is way too cold up here.

scutterUK Apr 10th 2005 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by storerg
Leigh,
What is Canberra like, I was not planning to settle there but have just been offered a job I cannot refuse.
Guy

Hi there.

For me it's fantastic!!! :) certainly worth thinking about if you've got the job.

Do a search on here for it if you haven't already. i've posted a few times about it and so have others. I would tell you myself now but i'm running late for work... (this damn site!) ;)

Good luck
Leigh

Ansy Apr 11th 2005 12:02 pm

I, too came alone with no family. I've been in Sydney for aroudn 18 months now. It's been a great learning experience