British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Are immigrants welcomed to Queensland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/immigrants-welcomed-queensland-543903/)

ige Jun 19th 2008 11:22 am

Are immigrants welcomed to Queensland

I have been living in Melbourne for over 3 years and its been very nice.
I was thinking of going for a holiday to Qeeensland but when i ask most people they say people in Queensland aren't welcoming especially if you look different or have a different accents:thumbdown:

Is this true?
I really don't get why people think this way...

Geelong Gent Jun 19th 2008 11:31 am

Re: Are immigrants welcomed to Queensland

Originally Posted by ige (Post 6481958)
I was thinking of going for a holiday to Qeeensland but when i ask most people they say people in Queensland aren't welcoming especially if you look different or have a different accents:thumbdown:

Is this true?

By different you mean?

Aren't we all?

Don't let silly rumours stop your holiday enjoyment.

bcworld Jun 19th 2008 11:51 am

Is this true?

Queensland has a massive tourist industry, obviously that involves overseas visitors of all nationalities and races - I don't often hear of any issues. Also, like anywhere else in Australia a significant proportion of the Qld population are immigrants themselves.

Like anywhere, there are rednecks, and perhaps Qld has more than its fair share, but you'd be pretty unlikely to have any problems on holiday.

The Woodcutter Jun 20th 2008 1:11 pm

Is this true?

Which people do you ask?
What they are saying - that people in Queensland aren't welcoming especially if you look different or have a different accents is absolute bollocks

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Jun 20th 2008 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter (Post 6486006)
Which people do you ask?
What they are saying - that people in Queensland aren't welcoming especially if you look different or have a different accents is absolute bollocks

Seconded - absolute bollox! :D

ALL of the QLD'rs I have met so far take you at face value!

jad n rich Jun 20th 2008 9:46 pm

Is this true?

When did these people last go to qld :rofl: 1972 or something, :D

bu1lder Jun 20th 2008 10:21 pm

Is this true?

wait til they hear my BAAARNSLEY accent then! eyup cock are tha dooin'!

stu-carol Jun 20th 2008 10:36 pm

I have a broad Scottish accent and no one bothers about that. So as everyone has said, what a load of bollocks.

Steve G Jun 20th 2008 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by stu-carol (Post 6487580)
I have a broad Scottish accent

Pardon? :unsure: :lol: :lol:

sprug Jun 20th 2008 11:00 pm

I havent encountered this and we live here, the only thing we get is "oh isnt your accent so cute" its a barnsley accent, never been called cute before:p

manxfamily Jun 21st 2008 2:17 am

Sounds like someone who doesn’t like Queenslanders has been speaking to you. Absolute shite.

I have never met a more welcoming group of people since we arrived two years ago.

BadgeIsBack Jun 21st 2008 2:55 am

Is this true?

Aussies bash Pommies. Pommies bash Aussies. Aussies are scruffy. Pommies are a bunch of Next wearing numptys. Qlders hate Victorians. Victorians hate them more. South Australians are all gits. England bashed Germany twice in two world wars and won one world cup.

Let's all just bang their heads together.

BadgeIsBack Jun 21st 2008 2:57 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 6487431)
When did these people last go to qld :rofl: 1972 or something, :D

Wait a minute - wait a minute. I can't leave this chance unmissed.

Don't you guys reckon it is STILL 1972 in QLD? With 2008 prices - I'll give you that.:p

gillysm Jun 21st 2008 7:27 am

Is this true?

We used to live in Sydney and people volunteered all sort of bad information about Queensland before we left. Of course it was all bull and turns out they've never even been here. Interstate rivalry I guess. Been here 8 years and always felt welcome.

Geelong Gent Jun 21st 2008 8:22 am

Originally Posted by gillysm (Post 6488469)
We used to live in Sydney and people volunteered all sort of bad information about Queensland before we left. Of course it was all bull and turns out they've never even been here. Interstate rivalry I guess. Been here 8 years and always felt welcome.

Especially when you wear a maroon jersey this coming week;)