Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Immigrant Wages & Unemployment

Wikiposts

Immigrant Wages & Unemployment

Old Apr 5th 2003, 8:27 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Immigrant Wages & Unemployment

Australian Migration Program - Key Results from Latest Research

1. after 18 months less than 90% of skilled immigrants and less than 70% of all migrants are in employment,

2. median skilled migrant income is less than $700, all migrant income is less than $400 per week (2001 $s),

3. migration resulted in a net gain of only 29,380 skilled and professional workers (59,370 entered, 29,990 left in 2002),

4. immigration reduced the cost of skilled labour to employers,

5. skilled immigrant taxes subsidised low skilled Australian workers,

6. skilled immigrants increased Australian government tax revenues.
Old Apr 5th 2003, 9:00 pm
Moose on the Move

moosifer is an unknown quantity at this point

>>1. after 18 months less than 90% of skilled immigrants...are in employment

hmmm less than 90% could be 89.9% - so that statistic is misleading.

plus - does that mean that they haven't worked at all in those 18 months, or they havent found a job in their chosen profession, or that at that particular moment in time they were not working but might have had a job for 17 our of the past 18 months?

>>4. immigration reduced the cost of skilled labour to employers

just the laws of demand and supply, i sure feel guilty about employing a Canadian once now, knowing that his presence in the UK meant that everyone had a lower salary

>>5. skilled immigrant taxes subsidised low skilled Australian workers

oh right, and the taxes on my UK income arent going to fund the dole spongers and lower income households here in the UK?

>>6. skilled immigrants increased Australian government tax revenues

rather an obvious point i'd think - but then again it doesn't state how much it increased their expenditure levels - more revenue is not always a good thing...

Statistics are all good and well, but I see nothing in any of those 6 points that particularly worries me.
Old Apr 5th 2003, 9:33 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrant Wages & Unemployment

Originally posted by Megalania
Australian Migration Program - Key Results from Latest Research

1. after 18 months less than 90% of skilled immigrants and less than 70% of all migrants are in employment,

2. median skilled migrant income is less than $700, all migrant income is less than $400 per week (2001 $s),

3. migration resulted in a net gain of only 29,380 skilled and professional workers (59,370 entered, 29,990 left in 2002),

4. immigration reduced the cost of skilled labour to employers,

5. skilled immigrant taxes subsidised low skilled Australian workers,

6. skilled immigrants increased Australian government tax revenues.

Yes and from the same article:-

Of the total net gain of skilled people in 2001-02:

About 80 per cent were managers or professionals. The remaining 20 per cent were skilled tradespersons and associate professionals

There was an encouraging increase in the number of nurses we were able to attract in 2001-02, with the net gain jumping to 1,094 from 697 in the previous year.

looks like it's not all brickies and hairdressers then!

I shouldn't feed the trolls but it's Sunday and I'm dog sitting for the outlaws.
Sean
Old Apr 5th 2003, 11:49 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Immigrant Wages & Unemployment

Originally posted by cresta57
I shouldn't feed the trolls but it's Sunday and I'm dog sitting for the outlaws.
Sean
Is dog sitting lucrative in the UK? In Aus, we teach dogs to sit on command.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i thought they were trained to eat babies...

cheers

richard
Old Apr 6th 2003, 4:12 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by r.bartlett
i thought they were trained to eat babies...

cheers

richard
Yes they can even undo the buttons to remove babygrows as well, talented well trained dogs them dingos.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 11:32 am
Banned

Get up to date! Bloody Stupid Pommie Dog Sitter Tourist types have been leading the noble Frazer Island Dingoes astray, think they are their cutsywootsy sweetiewheatypies.

Tourists to blame for super dingoes in boy's killing
Old Apr 6th 2003, 11:52 am

Originally posted by Megalania
Get up to date! Bloody Stupid Pommie Dog Sitter Tourist types have been leading the noble Frazer Island Dingoes astray, think they are their cutsywootsy sweetiewheatypies.

Tourists to blame for super dingoes in boy's killing
I wasn't referring to the latest Frazer Island incident and I didn't think Richard was either.
"Cry In The Dark", Meryl Streep played the real Dingo

Oops it's Monday now! feeding the trolls will have to wait for another 6 days You'll just have to be patient.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 12:30 pm
Banned

Originally posted by cresta57
I wasn't referring to the latest Frazer Island incident and I didn't think Richard was either.
"Cry In The Dark", Meryl Streep played the real Dingo

Oops it's Monday now! feeding the trolls will have to wait for another 6 days You'll just have to be patient.
Well, you've stonkered me there, have'nt watched Meryl Streep play a dingo, who ever Meryl is.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 1:04 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by moosifer

oh right, and the taxes on my UK income arent going to fund the dole spongers and lower income households here in the UK?

>>6. skilled immigrants increased Australian government tax revenues

rather an obvious point i'd think - but then again it doesn't state how much it increased their expenditure levels - more revenue is not always a good thing...

Statistics are all good and well, but I see nothing in any of those 6 points that particularly worries me.
You have no idea what the word tax means as yet ,as for not worrying you what would you are sold on an Australia that only lives in your head.
61% of all unemployed in Australia have have on the dole for over a year , and god help your kids no one else will.

Youth unemployment in Australia has risen by more than 3 per cent in the past month alone.

It now stands at 23.9 per cent seasonally adjusted.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia...13172343_1.htm

Old Apr 6th 2003, 1:14 pm
Banned

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Youth unemployment in Australia has risen by more than 3 per cent in the past month alone.

It now stands at 23.9 per cent seasonally adjusted.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia...13172343_1.htm

Actually, these kids are not unemployed despite what the statistishians try ter tell yer, they are, mostly, attending the School Of Hard Knocks to smarten 'em up preparatory to becoming docile consumer fodder.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 8:16 am
Just Joined

JoSummer12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lack of jobs and low wages

We can always come back - but personally I would just like the experience of living somewhere else for a while. Last time I looked living in England isn't so great!!! If we don't like it I know I can get a job as a teacher back here.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Good attitude to have. At least in years to come you can say `i tried, it didn`t work out, i came back, but at least i achieved something`

Be brave !!!!

footie chick
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:09 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of jobs and low wages

Originally posted by JoSummer12
We can always come back - but personally I would just like the experience of living somewhere else for a while. Last time I looked living in England isn't so great!!! If we don't like it I know I can get a job as a teacher back here.
You can chances are you will , teachers here are lower down the food chain than the UK and less well thought of get ready to wake up.

Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:52 pm
Banned

Default Re: Lack of jobs and low wages

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You can chances are you will , teachers here are lower down the food chain than the UK and less well thought of get ready to wake up.

This is a gross misrepresentation of the status of teachers in Aus.

My uncle taught me how to skin a 'roo and my father how to cut and break a sheeps neck and what parts to give to the dogs and which parts my mother could cook.

My brother taught me how to make bombs, explosive powders and rockets.

My mother taught me how to drive a car so that I could get it back into the garage before she came home.

My mates mate taught me not to hold detonators by the silvery end while watching it burn down.

I taught myself how to go flat out down steep grades on dirt roads on a bike with no brakes and keep my teeth.

And authors of most of the book I read taught me stuff from astrophysics to zooooology.

So don't tell me that teachers in Aus are not highly prized!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.