Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

immigrant label..what do you think?

immigrant label..what do you think?

Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

lisaxxx will become famous soon enoughlisaxxx will become famous soon enough
Default immigrant label..what do you think?

What do people think about being classed an immigrant, and do you think pakistanis, africans, bosnians, ect felt the same way when emigrating to Britain?
Lisa
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:21 am
Badge

Default Re: immigrant label..what do you think?

Originally Posted by lisaxxx
What do people think about being classed an immigrant, and do you think pakistanis, africans, bosnians, ect felt the same way when emigrating to Britain?
Lisa
I suppose the point of what you have said, (intentionally or not) is that for some people, in some countries at particular times being known as a migrant is negative when you want to be part of that country.

In Australia for many of us we are coming over with positive skills and contributions and many people recognise that.

In days gone by, migrants were negative if they were seen to be a problem, not an asset, especially if they didn't want to take on their new country's values and interests.

I suppose, when are you classed as a member of society and forgotten that you are a migrant...(may take a long time) that is when you are a done deal...

That is the day when someone only mentions that you came from the UK in incidental conversation, and doesn't *introduce* you as a migrant (doesn't include your country of origin in their introduction).

Noone here has ever introduced me as a migrant except when I was introduced as visitor in 2002 - but then I was.

I confess I would only be annoyed if my name was associated with a migrant solely, that was my persona, my very existence. That is because someone is inadvertently labelling you. But that has never happened, and even if it did, it might have been with the best intentions.

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 15th 2004 at 6:29 am.

Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

YES!!!..we are immigrants just the same as they are. The only difference between us and them is the reason for leaving our homeland.
I would hazard a quess it was far more difficult for them than it is for us. They have language barriers to overcome, less money, many a totally foreign culture far fetched from their own too. Although there are more marked differences between Aussie culture and British than i thought htere would be, i doubt it even comes close to the differences some who have gone to the UK experience.
One of the big things i have changed in myself since emmigrating is my attitude towards immigrants as a whole. I used to resent them coming to UK, and whilst i still retain that all who choose to live in a new country should assimilate with their new community, it has made me realise its not a stroll in the park for these people.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

That's the point I was trying to make. We are migrants. We talk different, see things in a different way because of our upbringing and yes i think we do have a different sense of humour.
Lisa
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:32 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Lisa
Hi lisaxxx

Oxford definition of immigrant= "to come to a foreign country and take up residence".

Hence I don't mind being classed as an immigrant...... cos afterall ....I am one

I expect it may have been more difficult for Pakistanis, Africans, Bosnians etc when emigrating to the UK if there were language and religious barriers to overcome. I'm unable to comment from their perspective as have never been in their shoes....

I'm happy to be called an immigrant. I will be one until I obtain Citizenship.

Then I'll be an Aussie / British immigrant citizen thingy majiggy

Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:38 am
Badge

I think PP is right in that for some people it is harder.

I have just asked my wife what she thinks in my makeup makes me like Australia - I didn't want to mention cliches(!) and she replied -"the fact you love Australia" which I thought was perfect and actually sums it up quite nicely.

If I was a devout Muslim and had to go around my area of Berwick in a face veil then of course people would treat me differently.

Us migrants are allowed to retain our individuality and customs but to be accepted we have to be balanced, and not exclude our new country's customs at our expense. Religion is a biggie. In this context, practise the religion you want, but don't complain about your new country's choice.

Many migrants love it here but am quick to say they are different. I love the fact that people are not afraid to say that. Personally, I would say the opposite, I have always felt something in common with what I call the 'Southern Hemisphere' (in this context SA, NZ, Aus - not south of the equator) way of thinking and way of life. I have felt this way since I was about 17, or 18. I would list examples but can't be bothered (and it starts arguments about generalisations etc!). So I consider myself to be especially blessed that I can live here as I could have been too old, etc etc.

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 15th 2004 at 6:50 am.

Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

[thankyou phoenixuk2oz for your definition.
What i am trying to do, is to get people to imagine how we are perceived by Aussies. Personally I don't think we are perceived as we perceive pakistanis ect. in England because I think that we do try to assimilate into Australian life. But some people do tend to keep comparing Australia to home and I know that it gets up the aussies noses.
Lisa
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:58 am
Badge

What i am trying to do, is to get people to imagine how we are perceived by Aussies. Personally I don't think we are perceived as we perceive pakistanis ect. in England because I think that we do try to assimilate into Australian life. But some people do tend to keep comparing Australia to home and I know that it gets up the aussies noses.
Lisa
brilliant. The 64Million dollar question....many of you want the answer...

Ulujain said once 'you Poms are flattering yourselves if you think we notice you more than we do' - but Pommy bashing is so advertised that maybe some of us are sensitive...(!)

I knew I was accepted by my mate when he allowed me to rip in to him...much later he got up at my wedding and said how happy he was for me to come to his country and say I was a good example of someone who had made a good effort of it as a migrant ..he even, I think (it was my wedding day after all and I wasn't all there), said I was an example of 'what happened when someone embraced a foreign culture'. I was expecting him to rip in to me about my little 'motorbike accident' but no, it was more of a "nice one, mate, may it continue speech'".

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 15th 2004 at 7:03 am.

Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

There Australians that would treat us as badly as some Brits treat immigrants in UK. Lets not assume we are in any way excused from prejudice because we are not. But like anything, good and bad in all places. I have to be honest though, and say i suffered far more prejudice from Kiwis in NZ when i lived there, than i ever have since coming to Aus, and i am married to a Kiwi!!!

But its all down to personal experience i guess. All countries have their ignorant smallminded percentages. Australia is no different. Ive toughened up after being out of UK for 3yrs...i just laugh at them now
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:13 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Lisa
You are welcome re immigrant definition Lisaxxx

I clarified the definition to demonstrate that if we ARE called immigrants by anyone [inc Aussies]....then indeed it is because we ARE one. Its a fact

We shouldn't take it personally. Some people [inc Aussies] will view this negatively and some positively. Who cares?

Its more important to have self belief .....regardless as to what others may label you

Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa
The Aussie reaction to immigrants depends on where you are in Oz, what colour you are, how wonderful you think Oz is and the state of the economy. Like all countries, if the economy isn't doing well, immigrants make great scapegoats "They come here, take all our jobs" etc crap... Apart from that, they probably don't give it much too much thought...
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:38 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
The Aussie reaction to immigrants depends on where you are in Oz, what colour you are, how wonderful you think Oz is and the state of the economy. Like all countries, if the economy isn't doing well, immigrants make great scapegoats "They come here, take all our jobs" etc crap... Apart from that, they probably don't give it much too much thought...
Well said Mike; spot on. And, to the original poster, I consider myself an immigrant here in the US, 'cos technically and legally it's what I am. I consider it a neutral term to be honest.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Yes, of course I consider myself an immigrant. You know I'm often asked by Aussies what I think of Australia and why we wanted to come here. I just tell the truth and I'm very positive. I think if people realize you really want to make a success of your residency - they respect that i.e. get a job, buy a house etc etc.

I was waiting at a bus stop a few months back and an old lady asked me all the above questions - as the bus arrived she said - "we should have more of you, you're just the kind of immigrants we need"