British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Immediate departure (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/immediate-departure-111295/)

thieg Sep 12th 2002 6:39 am

Immediate departure

Good morning,

a simple question for experts like you:

Once I receive (if I do one day ;)) my permanent visa, how much time would I have to really migrate to Oz?
Would I have to leave within the next 3 months or would I have enough time to quit my job, my flat?

Also: what kind of restrictions are there on the PV? I mean, would I be able to leave Oz for 1-2 years and then come back with no problem? Is there a rule like: I must stay at least 10 months per year in the country?

Thx all & Good luck

g/\uthier

ptlabs Sep 12th 2002 6:56 am

Re: Immediate departure

> Once I receive (if I do one day ;)) my permanent visa, how much time would
> I have to really migrate to Oz? Would I have to leave within the next 3
> months or would I have enough time to quit my job, my flat?

You will be required to enter Australia by the "first entry date", which is the earlier of either of these dates:

1) the one-year anniversary mark of your medical reports or
2) the one-year anniversary mark of your police checks.

Note that you do not need to migrate to Australia immediately. You can validate your visa by making a short trip (i.e. a vacation) to Australia and then return to your present country of residence to sort things out.

> Also: what kind of restrictions are there on the PV? I mean, would I be
> able to leave Oz for 1-2 years and then come back with no problem?
> Is there a rule like: I must stay at least 10 months per year in the country?

Your migrant visa is valid for 5 years from the date of grant. This means you are free to leave and re-enter Australia (provided you have made the initial first entry within the stipulated date) and retain your Permanent Resident status. Within these 5 years, you do not need to settle in Australia until the last date within the 5 years.

After the 5 years are over, you are required to either have a Resident Return Visa (RRV) or Australian citizenship in order to preserve your right of free movement in and out of Australia.

An RRV requires you to have resided in Australia for at least 2 of the past 5 years as a permanent resident. So if you enter Australia on the last day of the validity of your migrant visa, you cannot leave Australia until you have met the requirements for an RRV.

Australian citizenship applicant are required to have spent at least 2 out of the past 5 years as an Australian permanent resident in Australia, plus at least 1 year out of the immediate past 2 years as a permanent resident in Australia.

Once you obtain Australian citizenship, you are entitled to hold and use an Australian passport, which in turn gives you the right of free movement in and out of Australia for as long as you remain a citizen of Australia, regardless where your country of residence is.

Peter

thieg Sep 12th 2002 7:03 am

Thx for your quick and efficient answer

g/\uthier

Aa Sep 12th 2002 7:18 pm

Hi,

> 1) the one-year anniversary mark of your medical reports or
    > 2) the one-year anniversary mark of your police checks.

If it expires before you could leave, is it correct that I would need to redo the
checks again and can leave at a later date?

This may happen to me because I made a mistake of submitting them with my application
at the beginning of December 2001. After receiving acknowledgement letter and letter
requesting orignals of assessment and police clearance I got nothing from them (since
March 2002). Phoned them last month, and they sounded like they didn't do anything.
I'll try to call today again
    :(tried few days back - 5 min wasting money, "no operators
available"). My police clearance dated November 2001.

Lee Sep 13th 2002 7:40 am

"aa" <aa@aa> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    > > 1) the one-year anniversary mark of your medical reports or
    > > 2) the one-year anniversary mark of your police checks.
    > If it expires before you could leave, is it correct that I would need to redo the
    > checks again and can leave at a later date?
    > This may happen to me because I made a mistake of submitting them with my
    > application at the beginning of December 2001. After receiving acknowledgement
    > letter and letter requesting orignals of assessment and police clearance I got
    > nothing from them (since March 2002). Phoned them last month, and they sounded like
    > they didn't do anything. I'll try to call today again
    > :(tried few days back - 5 min wasting money, "no operators
    > available"). My police clearance dated November 2001.

You can send new police and medical checks before your visa has been granted, this
will then give you upto a year again. However, once the visa has been granted you
cannot send new checks. If you can't get to Australia by the initial entry date, you
will have to suybmit a new application.

You will probably be asked for new checks anyway.