Reload this Page >

IMAN health plans and tax

IMAN health plans and tax

Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough
Default IMAN health plans and tax

Hi,

i am on a 457visa and my employer pays for our health cover plans arranged from IMAN. I know that technically this is not classified as health insurance and therefore we are not eligible for health insurance rebate.

however, my question is what is the status of these plans for tax return purposes. the amounts are paid directly by my employer to IMAN and are not shown on my payslips. In my opinion, this has no tax consequence for me as employer has arranged to cover its legal obligations( as employers are responsible for 457visa holders medical expenses incurred in public hospitals).

can u guys please share ur thoughts on this
thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IMAN health plans and tax

Do you mean the medicare levy tax on your salary?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Do you mean the medicare levy tax on your salary?
I dont pay medicare levy, coz i am not eligible for medicare.

What i wanted to inquire was is IMAN health cover arranged by my employer is some sort of benefit which is taxable?. the annual premium paid directly by my employer to IMAN is around $4,000. In my opinion this is not a fringe benefit as it is not shown on my PAYG summaries
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slippery30
I dont pay medicare levy, coz i am not eligible for medicare.

What i wanted to inquire was is IMAN health cover arranged by my employer is some sort of benefit which is taxable?. the annual premium paid directly by my employer to IMAN is around $4,000. In my opinion this is not a fringe benefit as it is not shown on my PAYG summaries
Why are you not eligible for medicare? Have you not coming from the UK?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hebe
Why are you not eligible for medicare? Have you not coming from the UK?
no