Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm worried its all going wrong

I'm worried its all going wrong

Old Jan 12th 2003, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

loulou74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm worried its all going wrong

Is it normal to get this panic before the big move. I'm worried the house sale is going to fall through, I'm worried that the Oz $ will crash, that our possessions will sink at sea, etc etc etc. If there is something I can worry about then I am. I won't even allow myself to day dream about it anymore, just incase something goes wrong. How silly is this! Does anyone else feel like this, or felt like this before the move?
Old Jan 12th 2003, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm worried its all going wrong

Originally posted by loulou74
Is it normal to get this panic before the big move. I'm worried the house sale is going to fall through, I'm worried that the Oz $ will crash, that our possessions will sink at sea, etc etc etc. If there is something I can worry about then I am. I won't even allow myself to day dream about it anymore, just incase something goes wrong. How silly is this! Does anyone else feel like this, or felt like this before the move?
I'm not anywhere near that stage yet but I think it's pointless worrying. You've made the commitment to move and have to realise that there are no guarantees in this life and that no-one can forsee the future so you might as well get on with looking positively on your new life.

Taking the things you mentioned. If the Oz$ collapses, before you go, you'll be quids in. If it collapses after you're there, you'll be no worse off than everyone else over there. But a major collapse in the currency of a relatively stable country is unlikely these days.

If your house sale falls through, there'll be plenty of other buyers (seems to be a sellers market these days) and you have the advantage of an end of chain.

Take you most precious belongings with you and let the insurance worry about replacing the other stuff, in the highly unlikely event that the ship sinks. Hey, it would even be an opportunity to buy lots of new stuff!

Just look forward to your new adventure.
Old Jan 12th 2003, 5:20 pm

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm worried too ! and our move is only temporary !

If it helps this is what I'm worried about

not selling car !
not selling motorbike
not getting money sent to Oz in time
getting estate agent to advertise our house for let
forgetting something - what I don't know
to top it all partner is having a knee operation tomorrow, (only found out Thursday), and he has a week long course the following week with exams to pass.

my mum keeps asking, have you got anywhere to stay yet - bless her, but that's not top of my list.

Am I having bad dreams - yes

well I fell better talking about it, and I'm sure it's the same for everyone, and sure it will all sort itself out

how long have you got to go ?

Jo

leaving 3 weeks today !
Old Jan 12th 2003, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

:scared: :scared: :scared:

This is the most hair raising time of my life.
I am only in the first stages of my skills assessment and I am getting the jitters. I have talked about it with the missus for at least six months and when we finally made up our minds I found that I have to sell my car that I worked so hard to get, and thats just to pay for the assessment. (its not sold yet)

If I could have gone in November last year then I would have been quids in, but what about the predicted housing market drop off just at the time that my visa would come through, IF and only IF I get a visa.

The thing is, its one huge adventure, and all good adventures are the scariest.
Old Jan 12th 2003, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

choombi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Whingin Pom
:scared: :scared: :scared:

This is the most hair raising time of my life.
I am only in the first stages of my skills assessment and I am getting the jitters. I have talked about it with the missus for at least six months and when we finally made up our minds I found that I have to sell my car that I worked so hard to get, and thats just to pay for the assessment. (its not sold yet)

If I could have gone in November last year then I would have been quids in, but what about the predicted housing market drop off just at the time that my visa would come through, IF and only IF I get a visa.

The thing is, its one huge adventure, and all good adventures are the scariest.
I am also the nervey, cant sleep at night type.
I dream of getting off plane with no where to go, with whole life and 2kids in tow!!!
Also scared of the house market at present, wish we could sell right now, live in a hotel then the big move to ozzie.
Still not heard a bl**dy thing, (sent application off in may2002)
Old Jan 12th 2003, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Loulou!

Just to let you know youre not alone!:scared: our flights are booked for 31st Jan, must be out of house by 25th, having a going away party on 28th, its my B'day on tues, and im worried about everything too!!
Im selling my car to a friend, what if she backs out at the last minute? I need the proceeds to pay for shipping!
will the ship sink?... will London be involved in germ warfare before we leave on 31st?.... going out with 'two bob' in my pocket, all monies are invested in Aus bank! what if theres probs when i get there, at 5.30am on a Sunday!! banks aren't open ....the list goes on!
I am only getting about 4 hours sleep at the moment, always had about 8 [at least!] I just wish i could fast forward my life by about 6 weeks right now, but as its not possible, i suggest we just get on with it all, and hope that its all been worthwhile when we get there!.
We'll be lying on a beach or by a pool in about 6 weeks and thinking ''what was all the fuss about!!'.....[fingers crossed!!]

We'll be in Melbourne [Brighton] where are you heading for?

Good luck and best wishes
Old Jan 12th 2003, 7:07 pm

Hey Poggle, we're just 2 days behind you - Melbourne bound !

Old Jan 12th 2003, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Poggle, when you get there you MUST tell us more about how you get on, how all these worries are worked out as you have a very down to earth way of describing them.....Its a mindblowing exercise in logistics to emigrate, if you think too much about it, noone would do it, I'm sure.

Best of luck - how soon back on line when you get there ? (or like some, give us an update at the airport!!!)

Mash...

Originally posted by poggle
Hi Loulou!

Just to let you know youre not alone!:scared: our flights are booked for 31st Jan, must be out of house by 25th, having a going away party on 28th, its my B'day on tues, and im worried about everything too!!
Im selling my car to a friend, what if she backs out at the last minute? I need the proceeds to pay for shipping!
will the ship sink?... will London be involved in germ warfare before we leave on 31st?.... going out with 'two bob' in my pocket, all monies are invested in Aus bank! what if theres probs when i get there, at 5.30am on a Sunday!! banks aren't open ....the list goes on!
I am only getting about 4 hours sleep at the moment, always had about 8 [at least!] I just wish i could fast forward my life by about 6 weeks right now, but as its not possible, i suggest we just get on with it all, and hope that its all been worthwhile when we get there!.
We'll be lying on a beach or by a pool in about 6 weeks and thinking ''what was all the fuss about!!'.....[fingers crossed!!]

We'll be in Melbourne [Brighton] where are you heading for?

Good luck and best wishes

Last edited by mashiraz; Jan 12th 2003 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2003, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by percyp
Hey Poggle, we're just 2 days behind you - Melbourne bound !

Hi Percyp!

Are you worried about all the moving malarky aswell? as i type im sitting here surrounded by boxes and tape, bubblewrap etc.
Just have to have a break from it now and again! a cup of tea and check up Bxp's.

Where in Mel are you headed?

Cheers!

Old Jan 12th 2003, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mashiraz
Poggle, when you get there you MUST tell us more about how you get on, how all these worries are worked out as you have a very down to earth way of describing them.....Its a mindblowing excersise in logistics to emigrate, if you think too mucjh about it, noone would do it, I'm sure.

Best of luck - how soon back on line when you get there ? (or like some, give us an update at the airport!!!)

Mash...

Hi Mash!

Im sure it wont be long now till we see your post "yippee, we got it" etc. you seem to have been waiting so long!

The Actual moving is a nightmare, but it will be over soon, i hope!.

I'll make sure my 'pooter' is one of the last things to be packed, so i can keep up with things till the last minute, then i'll go round to my mums, and use hers! [she's nearly 70 and got it last year so she will be able to keep in touch with us more easily in Oz! i dont know how she's managed it, but shes grasped how to send and receive emails!, even ones with attachments!!!gasp!!.. A major feat for someone that still cant even use a mobile phone after having one about 5 years!! or programme a video!!]

Anyway, Once we are on the 'other side' i'll keep you all informed of how its all going! and how we settle in.

Must get back to the packing now!!

Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2003, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

The Jacksons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Just noticed that you (poggle) sign your name as Kaff.
I got an email addressed to Kaff - realised it was an error but perhaps you want me to forward it to you?? Something to do with granada tv! Are you taking part in some tv series??
Sorry this is so vague - did not really understand the message I received.
Old Jan 12th 2003, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by The Jacksons
Hi
Just noticed that you (poggle) sign your name as Kaff.
I got an email addressed to Kaff - realised it was an error but perhaps you want me to forward it to you?? Something to do with granada tv! Are you taking part in some tv series??
Sorry this is so vague - did not really understand the message I received.

Hi Jacksons!

Im not aware of taking part in any TV series? unless its one of those 'fly on the wall' documentarys! We'll look for any hidden cameras's in a minute! Its like a 'Mad house' here at the moment!!
so we'd certainly give 'The Osbournes' a run for their money!!

Dont worry about forwarding anything, its probably just a coincidence! but thanks anyway!

Cheers
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:45 am
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

We are moving mid Feb so I know what you mean. However, many of the worries and hassles would be similar even if you were moving from one side of the country to the other (although your possessions are not likely to sink!). Most of it is just fear of the unfamiliar. It is a HUGE life decision, but you have to ask yourself what is the worst that can happen, and move on from that. You have set yourself apart from many by being brave enough to even consider uprooting yourself and your family. A few worries about little details is a small price to pay for the adventure.

I find that things that seem huge worries when you wake up in a cold sweat at 4am never seem a problem in the middle of the day.

Good luck!
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

im glad your all having these worries, nightmares, etc etc etc. im not mad after all, thought it was only me going through this stage. im really stressed. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 13th 2003, 10:04 am

Originally posted by poggle
Hi Percyp!

Are you worried about all the moving malarky aswell? as i type im sitting here surrounded by boxes and tape, bubblewrap etc.
Just have to have a break from it now and again! a cup of tea and check up Bxp's.

Where in Mel are you headed?

Cheers!

Hi Poggle,

We've no where to stay in Mel yet, but eventually I hope it will be within walking distance of St Kilda rd, as that's where I'll be working.

We've packed loads of boxes and put them in storage(still some more to go though), so I'm now concentrating on paperwork, what to take, changing addresses, cancelling stuff, tax forms, it takes ages.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.