Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Old May 30th 2005, 8:20 pm
  #1  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Sorry not totally Australian related but a lot of you lovely UK folk maybe able to help.

Being new to this European travel business, we have a city break in Germany next month but want a week or two in September to laze on the beach anywhere but not Bognor!!!

Do you have any recommendations from personal experience? Not fussed on country, just want somewhere warm and relaxing. We don't have kids so flexible.

Is it best to book the holidays at work then get a last minute deal or book now? The German trip I put together and saved heaps but happy for a package tour for this one.

I'll never moan about the sun or being too hot again!!!

Yours frustrated and very cold in Teesside.

M

Last edited by Merlot; May 30th 2005 at 8:27 pm. Reason: Usual crappie grammer
 
Old May 30th 2005, 8:23 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Mercedes's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Depends
Posts: 4,041
Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Merlot
Sorry not totally Australian related but a lot of you lovely UK folk maybe able to help.

Being new to this European travel business, we have a city break in Germany next month but want a week or two in September to laze on the beach anywhere but not Bognor!!!

Do you have any recommendations from personal experience? Not fussed on country, just want somewhere warm and relaxing. We don't have kids so flexible.

Is it best to book the holidays at work then get a last minute deal or book now? The German trip I but together and saved heaps but happy for a package tour for this one.

I'll never moan about the sun or being too hot again!!!

Yours frustrated and very cold in Teesside.

M
What about Dubai, know its not in Europe LOL. or how about somewhere a little different ....Morocco. Hear it is beautiful there, and one of the places I'm hoping to pop over to. Besides if you don't like it you can drop across to Southern Spain... Also Merlot, try www.skyscanner.co.uk. It often gives you the airfares to many places showing the cheapest. Use it all the time.
Mercedes is offline  
Old May 30th 2005, 8:25 pm
  #3  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Mercedes
What about Dubai, know its not in Europe LOL. or how about somewhere a little different ....Morocco. Hear it is beautiful there, and one of the places I'm hoping to pop over to. Besides if you don't like it you can drop across to Southern Spain... Also Merlot, try www.skyscanner.co.uk. It often gives you the airfares to many places showing the cheapest. Use it all the time.
Never thought of Dubai, thanks for that and the link too, I'll check it out.

Funny thing is with Oz you just took good weather for granted.

Thanks again.

M
 
Old May 30th 2005, 8:26 pm
  #4  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Merlot
Sorry not totally Australian related but a lot of you lovely UK folk maybe able to help.

Being new to this European travel business, we have a city break in Germany next month but want a week or two in September to laze on the beach anywhere but not Bognor!!!

Do you have any recommendations from personal experience? Not fussed on country, just want somewhere warm and relaxing. We don't have kids so flexible.

Is it best to book the holidays at work then get a last minute deal or book now? The German trip I but together and saved heaps but happy for a package tour for this one.

I'll never moan about the sun or being too hot again!!!

Yours frustrated and very cold in Teesside.

M
Try South West France.

We often go camping there.

One of the sunniest spots in Europe and easily driveable.

That or a 'cheapo' package to Gran Canaria or another Canary Island (sun guaranteed nearly all year round).

G
Grayling is offline  
Old May 30th 2005, 8:29 pm
  #5  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try South West France.

We often go camping there.

One of the sunniest spots in Europe and easily driveable.

That or a 'cheapo' package to Gran Canaria or another Canary Island (sun guaranteed nearly all year round).

G
Thanks G

The cheapo package is what everyone is saying in the family, the problem is do I book one now or hope for the best nearer the time?

Looked at lovely self catering villas but as there are only two of us the cost doubles Next year I think we will con some family members into a combined trip.

M
 
Old May 30th 2005, 8:39 pm
  #6  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Merlot
Thanks G

The cheapo package is what everyone is saying in the family, the problem is do I book one now or hope for the best nearer the time?

Looked at lovely self catering villas but as there are only two of us the cost doubles Next year I think we will con some family members into a combined trip.

M
Pot luck I think M

We usually go to Puerto Rico on Gran canaria for a week or two in February or March and it is usually pretty cheap and quiet.

If you can avoid the UK school holidays you will be far better off. Much cheaper and quieter.

Go self catering and you can find some nice restaurants etc.

It can look a bit like being on the moon as they are volcanic islands and the south of all the islands is very dry but also very sunny

Spectacular scenery inland though

Great for chilling and some wonderful (not cheap) fish restaurants.

we tend to go there because it is reliable for a bit of sun and beach.

Others may know of other places.

I would try and leave it until Oct/Nov as it will be less crowded

Good luck

G
Grayling is offline  
Old May 30th 2005, 8:39 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Toontje's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30°16'29" North 097°44'26" West
Posts: 22,149
Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try South West France.
If it's late september, I wouldn't be bothered with SW France. Too much risk of bad weather.

Go further south, Algarve in Portugal or the Costa del Sol in Spain......
Toontje is offline  
Old May 30th 2005, 8:40 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Mercedes's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Depends
Posts: 4,041
Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

www.cheapflights.co.uk is another one. M.

Oh a coleague of mine also mentioned Eygpt, he's Australian dating an Eygptian ....probably a mummy. LOL... Might be another fun place to go to.....he's got me interested now, will have someone to show me around.

Last edited by Mercedes; May 30th 2005 at 8:42 pm.
Mercedes is offline  
Old May 30th 2005, 8:42 pm
  #9  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Grayling
Pot luck I think M

We usually go to Puerto Rico on Gran canaria for a week or two in February or March and it is usually pretty cheap and quiet.

If you can avoid the UK school holidays you will be far better off. Much cheaper and quieter.

Go self catering and you can find some nice restaurants etc.

It can look a bit like being on the moon as they are volcanic islands and the south of all the islands is very dry but also very sunny

Spectacular scenery inland though

Great for chilling and some wonderful (not cheap) fish restaurants.

we tend to go there because it is reliable for a bit of sun and beach.

Others may know of other places.

I would try and leave it until Oct/Nov as it will be less crowded

Good luck

G
Thanks for that advice, much appreciated.

M
 
Old May 30th 2005, 8:43 pm
  #10  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Mercedes
www.cheapflights.co.uk is another one. M.

Oh a coleague of mine also mentioned Eygpt, he's Australian dating an Eygptian ....probably a mummy. LOL... Might be another fun place to go to.....he's got me interested now, will have someone to show me around.
Excellent, I'll check that one out.

M
 
Old May 30th 2005, 9:51 pm
  #11  
wombat42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Merlot
Sorry not totally Australian related but a lot of you lovely UK folk maybe able to help.

Being new to this European travel business, we have a city break in Germany next month but want a week or two in September to laze on the beach anywhere but not Bognor!!!

Do you have any recommendations from personal experience? Not fussed on country, just want somewhere warm and relaxing. We don't have kids so flexible.

Is it best to book the holidays at work then get a last minute deal or book now? The German trip I put together and saved heaps but happy for a package tour for this one.

I'll never moan about the sun or being too hot again!!!

Yours frustrated and very cold in Teesside.

M
If you want real sun and beaches come to OZ, not some overpriced, overcrowded, overpolluted little European beach resort, where people are packed in the sand and polluted water like sardines. The MED. is just a large lake with no surf unlike OZ. In OZ we have the best beaches the world and a better climate. Outside the capital cities, thousands of miles unspoilt and uncrowded beaches.

Last edited by wombat42; May 30th 2005 at 9:53 pm.
 
Old May 30th 2005, 10:16 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
The Crow's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: On the edge of the Dandenongs, Melbourne
Posts: 2,387
The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Hi
I would recommend Sardinia - usually great weather in Sept - fab scenery, stunning beaches, mostly unspoilt and hardly any Brits!! Put it together yourself - we got cheap flights and a apartment via the net. Apartment cost £200 for a week - basic but clean and functional!! Wanted to try Corsica next - but won't have time as we should be in OZ early next year
Cheers
Mrs Crow
The Crow is offline  
Old May 30th 2005, 10:33 pm
  #13  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 63,556
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Cyprus is fab. Pathos end or North. Give the south east a miss Round Pathos, loads of history, fab beaches, great food, mountains near by.

Egypt is also brilliant but not relaxing, too much to do and see.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old May 30th 2005, 10:55 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
logan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
Posts: 873
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Hi Merlot,

Last year, I went off to Cyprus with my pal for my 'going away' holiday! We went on 25th Sep for a week. We went to Protaris and had a great time. We stayed in apartments owned by a Scouse guy who'd retired there. About 10 people in my office had stayed there before and it was great. I can tell you more about it if necessary, just pm me. I can probably get the phone no. etc.

The weather was great, the price was right, the town not heaving, and you get the use of the pool facilities at the hotel opposite the apartments. Kid friendly, and '20-something' girl friendly! so something for all.

Logan x
logan is offline  
Old May 31st 2005, 12:22 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Un-Co's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: In orbit
Posts: 1,053
Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

You could head to Sicily. I grew up partly there so I'm biased but it's gorgeous and will still be pretty hot. You can get good cheap flights. The people are mostly crazy but the food and wine are wonderful and there are heaps of fishing villages and little towns in the mountains to explore.
Un-Co is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.