British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   I'm sun starved - Europe in September??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/im-sun-starved-europe-september-305947/)

Merlot May 30th 2005 8:20 pm

I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Sorry not totally Australian related but a lot of you lovely UK folk maybe able to help.

Being new to this European travel business, we have a city break in Germany next month but want a week or two in September to laze on the beach anywhere but not Bognor!!!

Do you have any recommendations from personal experience? Not fussed on country, just want somewhere warm and relaxing. We don't have kids so flexible.

Is it best to book the holidays at work then get a last minute deal or book now? The German trip I put together and saved heaps but happy for a package tour for this one.

I'll never moan about the sun or being too hot again!!! :eek:

Yours frustrated and very cold in Teesside.

M :cool:

Mercedes May 30th 2005 8:23 pm

Re: I'm sun starved - Europe in September???

Originally Posted by Merlot
Sorry not totally Australian related but a lot of you lovely UK folk maybe able to help.

Being new to this European travel business, we have a city break in Germany next month but want a week or two in September to laze on the beach anywhere but not Bognor!!!

Do you have any recommendations from personal experience? Not fussed on country, just want somewhere warm and relaxing. We don't have kids so flexible.

Is it best to book the holidays at work then get a last minute deal or book now? The German trip I but together and saved heaps but happy for a package tour for this one.

What about Dubai, know its not in Europe LOL. or how about somewhere a little different ....Morocco. Hear it is beautiful there, and one of the places I'm hoping to pop over to. Besides if you don't like it you can drop across to Southern Spain... Also Merlot, try www.skyscanner.co.uk. It often gives you the airfares to many places showing the cheapest. Use it all the time.

Merlot May 30th 2005 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mercedes
What about Dubai, know its not in Europe LOL. or how about somewhere a little different ....Morocco. Hear it is beautiful there, and one of the places I'm hoping to pop over to. Besides if you don't like it you can drop across to Southern Spain... Also Merlot, try www.skyscanner.co.uk. It often gives you the airfares to many places showing the cheapest. Use it all the time.

Never thought of Dubai, thanks for that and the link too, I'll check it out.

Funny thing is with Oz you just took good weather for granted.

Thanks again.

M :)

Grayling May 30th 2005 8:26 pm

Is it best to book the holidays at work then get a last minute deal or book now? The German trip I but together and saved heaps but happy for a package tour for this one.

Try South West France.

We often go camping there.

One of the sunniest spots in Europe and easily driveable.

That or a 'cheapo' package to Gran Canaria or another Canary Island (sun guaranteed nearly all year round).

G

Merlot May 30th 2005 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try South West France.

We often go camping there.

One of the sunniest spots in Europe and easily driveable.

That or a 'cheapo' package to Gran Canaria or another Canary Island (sun guaranteed nearly all year round).

G

Thanks G :)

The cheapo package is what everyone is saying in the family, the problem is do I book one now or hope for the best nearer the time?

Looked at lovely self catering villas but as there are only two of us the cost doubles :confused: Next year I think we will con some family members into a combined trip.

M :confused:

Grayling May 30th 2005 8:39 pm

Thanks G :)

The cheapo package is what everyone is saying in the family, the problem is do I book one now or hope for the best nearer the time?

Looked at lovely self catering villas but as there are only two of us the cost doubles :confused: Next year I think we will con some family members into a combined trip.

M :confused:

Pot luck I think M

We usually go to Puerto Rico on Gran canaria for a week or two in February or March and it is usually pretty cheap and quiet.

If you can avoid the UK school holidays you will be far better off. Much cheaper and quieter.

Go self catering and you can find some nice restaurants etc.

It can look a bit like being on the moon :eek: as they are volcanic islands and the south of all the islands is very dry but also very sunny :cool:

Spectacular scenery inland though :eek:

Great for chilling and some wonderful (not cheap) fish restaurants.

we tend to go there because it is reliable for a bit of sun and beach.

Others may know of other places.

I would try and leave it until Oct/Nov as it will be less crowded

Good luck

G

Toontje May 30th 2005 8:39 pm

Try South West France.

If it's late september, I wouldn't be bothered with SW France. Too much risk of bad weather.

Go further south, Algarve in Portugal or the Costa del Sol in Spain......

Mercedes May 30th 2005 8:40 pm

www.cheapflights.co.uk is another one. M.

Oh a coleague of mine also mentioned Eygpt, he's Australian dating an Eygptian ....probably a mummy. LOL... Might be another fun place to go to.....he's got me interested now, will have someone to show me around. :D

Merlot May 30th 2005 8:42 pm

Pot luck I think M

We usually go to Puerto Rico on Gran canaria for a week or two in February or March and it is usually pretty cheap and quiet.

If you can avoid the UK school holidays you will be far better off. Much cheaper and quieter.

Go self catering and you can find some nice restaurants etc.

It can look a bit like being on the moon :eek: as they are volcanic islands and the south of all the islands is very dry but also very sunny :cool:

Spectacular scenery inland though :eek:

Great for chilling and some wonderful (not cheap) fish restaurants.

we tend to go there because it is reliable for a bit of sun and beach.

Others may know of other places.

I would try and leave it until Oct/Nov as it will be less crowded

Good luck

G

Thanks for that advice, much appreciated.

M :D

Merlot May 30th 2005 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mercedes
www.cheapflights.co.uk is another one. M.

Oh a coleague of mine also mentioned Eygpt, he's Australian dating an Eygptian ....probably a mummy. LOL... Might be another fun place to go to.....he's got me interested now, will have someone to show me around. :D

Excellent, I'll check that one out.

M :)

wombat42 May 30th 2005 9:51 pm

Is it best to book the holidays at work then get a last minute deal or book now? The German trip I put together and saved heaps but happy for a package tour for this one.

If you want real sun and beaches come to OZ, not some overpriced, overcrowded, overpolluted little European beach resort, where people are packed in the sand and polluted water like sardines. The MED. is just a large lake with no surf unlike OZ. In OZ we have the best beaches the world and a better climate. Outside the capital cities, thousands of miles unspoilt and uncrowded beaches.

The Crow May 30th 2005 10:16 pm

Hi
I would recommend Sardinia - usually great weather in Sept - fab scenery, stunning beaches, mostly unspoilt and hardly any Brits!! Put it together yourself - we got cheap flights and a apartment via the net. Apartment cost £200 for a week - basic but clean and functional!! Wanted to try Corsica next - but won't have time as we should be in OZ early next year :)
Cheers
Mrs Crow

moneypenny20 May 30th 2005 10:33 pm

Cyprus is fab. Pathos end or North. Give the south east a miss :eek: Round Pathos, loads of history, fab beaches, great food, mountains near by.

Egypt is also brilliant but not relaxing, too much to do and see.

logan May 30th 2005 10:55 pm

Hi Merlot,

Last year, I went off to Cyprus with my pal for my 'going away' holiday! We went on 25th Sep for a week. We went to Protaris and had a great time. We stayed in apartments owned by a Scouse guy who'd retired there. About 10 people in my office had stayed there before and it was great. I can tell you more about it if necessary, just pm me. I can probably get the phone no. etc.

The weather was great, the price was right, the town not heaving, and you get the use of the pool facilities at the hotel opposite the apartments. Kid friendly, and '20-something' girl friendly! :D so something for all.

Logan x

Un-Co May 31st 2005 12:22 am

You could head to Sicily. I grew up partly there so I'm biased but it's gorgeous and will still be pretty hot. You can get good cheap flights. The people are mostly crazy but the food and wine are wonderful and there are heaps of fishing villages and little towns in the mountains to explore. :)