Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Im sorry but how would you like this news....

Wikiposts

Im sorry but how would you like this news....

Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:01 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im sorry but how would you like this news....

Originally Posted by eatstatic
So you would fell the same bile towards tobacconists and purveyors of alcohol?

Lung cancer and cirrocis of the liver kill many, many more than Heroin.
Of course they wouldn't, they all enjoy a drink an acceptable drug that the government earn a fortune out of.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Ozceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sloake
what if he was innocent?
I don't think there is any fear that he is innocent. He has admitted his crime and should hang for it.
I would volunteer to kick the chair from under him.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:37 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Of course they wouldn't, they all enjoy a drink an acceptable drug that the government earn a fortune out of.
Too true, if alcohol and/or tobacco were recent additions to the chemical mind altering league of drugs they would definetely be class A.

The hypocrisy of Government and populations never cease to amaze me.

Heroin and cocaine are actually non lethal if perscribed in a pure unadulterated form (and the dose not exceeded, impossible to check when given gangster controlled street drugs)

My view is in for a penny, in for a pound, if Alcohol and tobacco are legal although they kill and rip peoples lifes apart, how can you justify the criminalisation of Cannabis, cocaine , ecstacy and yes, even heroin?

Whatever happened to personal choice and realizing the implications of your actions?
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:39 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ginaf
I believe he was doing this as a "one off" in order to clear some debts his brother was in trouble with.

So why didn't his brother carry the drugs then if it was his debt?

I feel very sorry for the parents having to go through this. As a Mum I would be devastated to experience the death of a child though an accident, let alone intentional murder. My heart goes out to them.

However, I do have to say the phrase "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" springs to mind. He must have known the consequences, he chose to take the gamble. VERY STUPID.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:53 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Too true, if alcohol and/or tobacco were recent additions to the chemical mind altering league of drugs they would definetely be class A.

The hypocrisy of Government and populations never cease to amaze me.

Heroin and cocaine are actually non lethal if perscribed in a pure unadulterated form (and the dose not exceeded, impossible to check when given gangster controlled street drugs)

My view is in for a penny, in for a pound, if Alcohol and tobacco are legal although they kill and rip peoples lifes apart, how can you justify the criminalisation of Cannabis, cocaine , ecstacy and yes, even heroin?

Whatever happened to personal choice and realizing the implications of your actions?

Amen to that.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ozceltic
No pity from me. His filthy scag would of cost the lives of many more Australians and he deserves to be hung as this is the penalty in the country he commited his crime.
I feel sorry for his family as they are innocent but how could this be any easier for them, how would you word a letter to a mother whose son you were going to kill?

He's not the first and mores the pity he wont be the last, they know the consequences, sorry...
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sloake

The guy did wrong...but killling him will prove what? what if he was innocent?
He wasn't.....
Does this mean we can all stop believing Corby is innocent.. maybe we should kill her as well?
Who's all? She was carrying marijuana, not A grade......
The death penalty is wrong....killing some one, never makes anything right....
It is wrong in our eyes, but is the law of Singapore and the mules are more than aware of this. If you value your life then don't do it. Simple.....

And yeah if it were my kid i would probably feel much differently and the letter was totally innapropriate.

Be aware though that there is another troll among you
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
What I find very sad and disturbing is the manner in which his mother was informed of her own blood and flesh's life was to be shortly strangled out of him:
I think it shows that the Singaporeans have some compassion. If you read the letter they have offered extra visits up until his execution and have given the opportunity to her to arrange the funeral. That's more than he deserves but at least it gives the family some closure.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I feel very sorry for the parents having to go through this. As a Mum I would be devastated to experience the death of a child though an accident, let alone intentional murder.
It's not Murder, it's EXECUTION. They should televise it as a warning to others.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

How terrible for his mother and family. I know the heartbreak drugs can cause, but I can't condone the death penalty. How can someone decide which crime "deserves" death and which doesn't. Surely a crime is a crime. And how many of us can honestly say we've never commited a crime. What about using e-mail at work, or taking a stamp, or pen or whatever. It's still theft at the end of the day. Okay, so nobody dies as a result of taking some office stationery for their own use. Drink drivers, they know the consequences, but look how many people still have a pint or two, if not more, and get behind the wheel. Make prison terms appropriate for the result of the offence. And another thought, I fail to believe that someone wakes up one day and decided it's a good idea to become an addict. Sometimes life and circumstances drive people to drink and/or drugs. If you or your family are well heeled, you can get away with it. If death penalties were the answer to the problem then surely there wouldn't be these awful crimes.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:54 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sorchar
And another thought, I fail to believe that someone wakes up one day and decided it's a good idea to become an addict. Sometimes life and circumstances drive people to drink and/or drugs.
I totally agree. Its not only the weak pathetic that end up as alcoholics or drug dependant. If you have worked with them you'll see a different side to the coin instead of the attitude of snubbing your nose at them thinking you are well above them. While its drugs that turn them into the scourge of society in many instances its society and the pressures that make them what they have become.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Im sorry but how would you like this news....

Originally Posted by psb182
Wars are a neccesary evil sometimes and yes I agreed that Saddam had to go
So we agree on these points, then.

But why do you draw the line at capital punishment? I'd call that a necessary evil as well.

Wars are sometimes necessary to protect a nation's citizens. I'd say that capital punishment is sometimes necessary for the same reason.

And for those who argue that it could lead to the death of innocent people (well, war does too - but anyway...) I reply that in order to escape this problem, I would propose a system under which the death penalty was only permitted in cases where the guilt of the accused was demonstrated by DNA testing.

This rules out any possibility of executing the wrong person.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:56 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
you have your drug users (people at the bottom end of society who are instantly thought of as scum) and then you have "drug users" who are at the top end of the market driving their porsches and sinking their champers whilst injecting and sniffing gods knows what. But they seem to get away with it because they make it look achingly trendy and hip, they walk around in their designer suits and still project an image, therefore aren`t thought of as scum -could this be because they aren`t robbing the old lady next door for their fix and does this make it any more acceptable??
Interesting point made there. I read a book by Ben Elton called High Society. Basically about the drugs issue in this country. While the comment I make is about the UK, could this work elsewhere?

Would the legalising of ALL drugs take away the majority of the power from the criminals who make the serious money out of drugs? What I mean is if drugs were legalised, would people who take drugs go to official government centres to get their drugs? Would they be taking drugs that had not been mixed with brick dust and all sorts of shit so were 'less' likely to kill the user? Would this way help users come off their habit and seek guideance at an earlier opportunity? Would it stop or reduce crime? Would it be better to bring this out in the open? Would this approach to drugs use in this country liberalise our attitude leading to further problems or would it help in our understanding of drugs? Would doing it this way provide a wealth of 'tax' contributions towards the government and help fund state services, for example the NHS.

Lots of questions there and no doubt something to chat about. For me, I think it really should be considered.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:41 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
So why didn't his brother carry the drugs then if it was his debt?

I feel very sorry for the parents having to go through this. As a Mum I would be devastated to experience the death of a child though an accident, let alone intentional murder. My heart goes out to them.

However, I do have to say the phrase "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" springs to mind. He must have known the consequences, he chose to take the gamble. VERY STUPID.
The problem I have with all this is that although he knew the penalty and still did the crime and should therefore be punnished, its not fair of society to then punish his mother who after all is innocent. By killing her child regardless of what he has done she is being punished also and how can that be right? Maybe the death penalty should only be carried out once the parents are dead from old age or whatever. (only just found this thread)
Old Nov 19th 2005, 12:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
The problem I have with all this is that although he knew the penalty and still did the crime and should therefore be punnished, its not fair of society to then punish his mother who after all is innocent. By killing her child regardless of what he has done she is being punished also and how can that be right? Maybe the death penalty should only be carried out once the parents are dead from old age or whatever. (only just found this thread)
Holy jesus, someone shoot me please - I think I agree with arkon :scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.