Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm seriously impressed

Wikiposts

I'm seriously impressed

Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of
Default Re: I'm seriously impressed

If your wife is having a normal pregnancy then she doesn't need an obstetrician. In labour you need 'access' to an obstetrician if things start to deviate. Midwives are the experts at normal birth, obstetrician are the experts when things go tits up. Although some midwives do push too far for a normal birth, many drs step in too soon and intervene. Unnecessary intervention causes endless problems/complications. You will be well cared for in team midwifery. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by bondipom
We still have not seen an obstetrician.

The Mrs needs one (hopefully final ultrasound) and the public place is playing up on trying to give a slot.

Luckily all is fine but we are not overly happy. Having a doctor in the family helps enourmously.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Rightyo - going to be quick with this one (yadda yadda).

Today I saw the maternity ward of the brand new hospital that we are having the young Badge in. It's a public hospital.

It is spotless, (of course, it is new) but, the thing is, it has the most amazing facilities.

First off, you get 3 bags of goodies. One now, one at birth and another you collect from target after the baby has been around for a few months.

I AM SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED.

Every woman (or man- I don't want to be sexist here - I am sure there are men that want to have babies) gets her(his) own birthing room, equipped with a sink, window looking on to green fields, buttons to press for light, tv, assistance, oxgen on walls, little ensuite and shower. There were so many buttons I didn't have time to study them all.

There's even a little beer fridge under the sink.

When I was a kid, I was often asked if I "had been born in a barn". Well, now the worry is, and there is no other conclusion; I now suspect that maybe I actually *had* been. My mother says she was in a ward pushing with all the other sheilas. The situation was clearly dire.

I am seriously impressed. Perhaps the TV would be better suited outside the room as the baby is due on Grand Final Day and I think presiding over a birth is too much of a distraction, but this will give me a bit of kudos at work so I plan to milk this situation.

There are also shiny new bathrooms so that women can drop in baths, there are shiny rooms with beds for us blokes - in fact if you get lucky you can even share with your wife - because s(he) gets *another* room, equipped with *double* bed to lounge in before s(he) starts to contract.

What's it like in the UK? Oops - don't tell me I don't want to compare. See - this is the best bit about doing it this way around, there's no "In the UK this, in the Uk that"!!

yours aye,

Badge

A few tips.

The beer fridge is not for beer its for the placenta or milk, expressed milk.

Dont be impressed by shiney surfaces, nothing will be shiney by the end of this experience.

You wont be lying on a double bed you will be being sworn at, or punched.

And most importantly, this will not be a good time to start on of your yarns about your waist measurement being the same as when you were 16.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:49 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
A few tips.

The beer fridge is not for beer its for the placenta or milk, expressed milk.

Dont be impressed by shiney surfaces, nothing will be shiney by the end of this experience.

You wont be lying on a double bed you will be being sworn at, or punched.

And most importantly, this will not be a good time to start on of your yarns about your waist measurement being the same as when you were 16.

Yeah go on spoil the vision for him.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
About the same as where my son was born in the UK, an NHS hospital. I agree with the other poster on here, It's the quality & attitude of the doctors, midwives & nurses that count. The midwives in Redhill were like angels, fantastic, as was the consultant. If you've got this, then in does not matter if you are born in a barn.
My wife works in Redhill hospital as a midwife...........I know they are are great bunch...........but I tell you it comes down to the person in the end not the trust or the NHS............she wants to leave I am afraid to go to Oz....with me I hope.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RReed
If your wife is having a normal pregnancy then she doesn't need an obstetrician. In labour you need 'access' to an obstetrician if things start to deviate. Midwives are the experts at normal birth, obstetrician are the experts when things go tits up. Although some midwives do push too far for a normal birth, many drs step in too soon and intervene. Unnecessary intervention causes endless problems/complications. You will be well cared for in team midwifery. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Excuse me for asking...are you a midwife working in Oz....whereabouts and how does it compare to where you worked in the UK........including your income ? tell me to bugger off if you like !
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Badge!

Glad to hear that the facilities are so good!

Best of luck to you and yours and to your future little Badge!

Have a from under the sink to celebrate on the happy day!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Hi Badge!

Glad to hear that the facilities are so good!

Best of luck to you and yours and to your future little Badge!

Have a from under the sink to celebrate on the happy day!
Hope it goes well Badge.

Mixed feelings about hospitals.

My eldest son was born in a little cottage hospital in Berkshire....no problems at all.

My youngest in a big new Hospital in Yorkshire..all bells and whistles.

Much more problematic birth.

They were both born over 30 year ago so things change

I think there are more factors involved than simply nice new buildings.

G
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Badge,
Hate to put a downer on it (I'm a uk midwife recently arrived over here). Don't be distracted by the plush surroundings. Ask them their 'normal birth' rate. Is it private, if so, obstetric led or midwifery led? I am really quite shocked by the system over here. Maternity care is definately not (and I'm talking generally here) as forward thinking, or evidence based as the uk. Some of the practices would get you struck off! A fantastic hotel-style room won't make up for having half your arse sliced off to pull a baby out. Sorry, don't mean to scare any parents-to-be. On the more postive side, the breastfeeding rates here are brilliant compared with the uk.
Rachel x

Precisely why we had all four of our kids at home, Cost a bloody arm and a leg as well, no rebates for that supposed kind of way out stuff.

Reason we had the children at home, My wife is a nurse, and doesn't trust obstetricians and their appointment book !

We had a British midwife for the younger two as well, a very well known homebirth Midwife in Melbourne at least. She arrived with a whole delivery room full of gear as well or so it seemed lol, Great lady, and we still keep in touch.

Oh edit as well, We had one of a very few homebirth doctors here in Melbourne, A Great bloke as well, who has a practice in Wattle Park, and covers all of Melbourne.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 11th 2005 at 1:13 am.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Excuse me for asking...are you a midwife working in Oz....whereabouts and how does it compare to where you worked in the UK........including your income ? tell me to bugger off if you like !
I arrived in oz about 6 weeks ago. I am still in the process of investigating and applying for jobs. I am limited to my local area (sunshine coast). This area is much more 'backward' in terms of maternity care than the uk or Sydney (I was there 5 years ago). I guess it is going to be very different and a little frustrating being a midwife here. This has been the only negative side to our move - but I was warned in advance, many times. Casual contracts seem to be easy to get, then you upgrade to permanent. As for pay, I can't get a straight answer from anyone. Basically, I think it works out as about 2-3k less than the uk (but then the cost of living is less). If you or your wife want any more info, just pm me.
Rachel x
Old Mar 11th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Precisely why we had all four of our kids at home, Cost a bloody arm and a leg as well, no rebates for that supposed kind of way out stuff.

Reason we had the children at home, My wife is a nurse, and doesn't trust obstetricians and their appointment book !

We had a British midwife for the younger two as well, a very well known homebirth Midwife in Melbourne at least. She arrived with a whole delivery room full of gear as well or so it seemed lol, Great lady, and we still keep in touch.

Oh edit as well, We had one of a very few homebirth doctors here in Melbourne, A Great bloke as well, who has a practice in Wattle Park, and covers all of Melbourne.
I had my second, and last baby at home. Wouldn't do it any other way (unless there was a medical indication). The research shows that for a healthy normal pregnancy, home is as safe as hospital, and women have less intervention and a more positive experience. The research which resulted in a move to hospital birth in th 70s was found to be have been interpreted wrongly – years too late to reverse the trend. Hospitals are great when you have a medical problem or a difficult birth, but they are crap at supporting normal birth. No hospital can compare with getting in your own shower afterwards and your own bed with your baby and family around you (and a bottle of wine).
Rachel x
Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

So far so good and I hope no intervention is required however we would like the option of an epidural. Why suffer unnecesarily? Birthing is an unpredictable event so for us the availability of immediate intervention is for peace of mind. Both midwives and obstetricians have their role although there seems to be a level of mistrust between the two.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bondipom
So far so good and I hope no intervention is required however we would like the option of an epidural. Why suffer unnecesarily? Birthing is an unpredictable event so for us the availability of immediate intervention is for peace of mind. Both midwives and obstetricians have their role although there seems to be a level of mistrust between the two.
Totally agree. Birthing is an unpredictable event. However, you very rarely get things suddenly going wrong with no previous indication or risk factors. It depends what you want from the birth experience. As a midwife it is my role to support women in whatever choices they make. Whether that is to have no pain during the birth (ie. epidural) and the interventions that often come with that (significant increase in complications) or have a waterbirth with lots of pain. It is most important that by the end of the experience women feel that they were listened and were given information, options and choice. I have listened to many women who were traumatised by a 'natural' birth and felt out of control. Also have listened to many women who felt control was taken away from them, and the risks of a c.section or an epidural were not explained. Get all the information you can and remember that it is your birth experience, no-one elses. As for the midwives vs obstetricans, it is unfortunately true. I think we come from very different perspectives. As a midwife you spend a lot of time with women and their families, seeing the whole picture. Often counselling them following a traumatic experiences or supporting them following postnatal complications from c.sections etc. The obs tend to see the women as patients rather than people, largely because they don't have the time to spend with them or get the chance see the implications of interventions a few weeks down the line. Having said that, I have known some fantastic women-centred drs and some terrible midwives. We can learn a lot from each other if we just accept that we both have different, but equally important roles.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. Birthing is an unpredictable event. However, you very rarely get things suddenly going wrong with no previous indication or risk factors. It depends what you want from the birth experience. As a midwife it is my role to support women in whatever choices they make. Whether that is to have no pain during the birth (ie. epidural) and the interventions that often come with that (significant increase in complications) or have a waterbirth with lots of pain. It is most important that by the end of the experience women feel that they were listened and were given information, options and choice. I have listened to many women who were traumatised by a 'natural' birth and felt out of control. Also have listened to many women who felt control was taken away from them, and the risks of a c.section or an epidural were not explained. Get all the information you can and remember that it is your birth experience, no-one elses. As for the midwives vs obstetricans, it is unfortunately true. I think we come from very different perspectives. As a midwife you spend a lot of time with women and their families, seeing the whole picture. Often counselling them following a traumatic experiences or supporting them following postnatal complications from c.sections etc. The obs tend to see the women as patients rather than people, largely because they don't have the time to spend with them or get the chance see the implications of interventions a few weeks down the line. Having said that, I have known some fantastic women-centred drs and some terrible midwives. We can learn a lot from each other if we just accept that we both have different, but equally important roles.
What a terrific advocate for women and birthing. The only thing I can add, is for the blokes to back up their partners, and not defer to the possiibly unnecessary intervening practices of the attending doctor, especially if you feel, and more importantly know that it is going against your partners wishes. Primrarily that is the midwives role. However the medico's are most unlikely to start airing differences in front of the mother, That most certainly is the responsibilty of the Partner. Basically if it feels right it probably is, but always check with the midwife.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:57 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Amazulu
About the same as where my son was born in the UK, an NHS hospital. I agree with the other poster on here, It's the quality & attitude of the doctors, midwives & nurses that count. The midwives in Redhill were like angels, fantastic, as was the consultant. If you've got this, then in does not matter if you are born in a barn.
I was born in Redhill The hospital is midwife led, not ob led. My post was tongue in cheek...of course I know it is not all about gucci gear.

The necal scan was fine, v professional and we now have a video to boot. Sorry to hear about the Randwick experience Bondi.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Mar 15th 2005 at 8:03 am.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:14 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Badge,
Hate to put a downer on it (I'm a uk midwife recently arrived over here). Don't be distracted by the plush surroundings. Ask them their 'normal birth' rate. Is it private, if so, obstetric led or midwifery led? I am really quite shocked by the system over here. Maternity care is definately not (and I'm talking generally here) as forward thinking, or evidence based as the uk. Some of the practices would get you struck off! A fantastic hotel-style room won't make up for having half your arse sliced off to pull a baby out. Sorry, don't mean to scare any parents-to-be. On the more postive side, the breastfeeding rates here are brilliant compared with the uk.
Rachel x
Half your arse sliced off :scared:
What do you use one of those disc meat slicers that they have at the deli for doing slices of ham
Still most women would love a smaller bum , will it work on my belly too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.