Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm seriously impressed

Wikiposts

I'm seriously impressed

Old Mar 10th 2005, 5:34 pm
Badge

Default I'm seriously impressed

Rightyo - going to be quick with this one (yadda yadda).

Today I saw the maternity ward of the brand new hospital that we are having the young Badge in. It's a public hospital.

It is spotless, (of course, it is new) but, the thing is, it has the most amazing facilities.

First off, you get 3 bags of goodies. One now, one at birth and another you collect from target after the baby has been around for a few months.

I AM SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED.

Every woman (or man- I don't want to be sexist here - I am sure there are men that want to have babies) gets her(his) own birthing room, equipped with a sink, window looking on to green fields, buttons to press for light, tv, assistance, oxgen on walls, little ensuite and shower. There were so many buttons I didn't have time to study them all.

There's even a little beer fridge under the sink.

When I was a kid, I was often asked if I "had been born in a barn". Well, now the worry is, and there is no other conclusion; I now suspect that maybe I actually *had* been. My mother says she was in a ward pushing with all the other sheilas. The situation was clearly dire.

I am seriously impressed. Perhaps the TV would be better suited outside the room as the baby is due on Grand Final Day and I think presiding over a birth is too much of a distraction, but this will give me a bit of kudos at work so I plan to milk this situation.

There are also shiny new bathrooms so that women can drop in baths, there are shiny rooms with beds for us blokes - in fact if you get lucky you can even share with your wife - because s(he) gets *another* room, equipped with *double* bed to lounge in before s(he) starts to contract.

What's it like in the UK? Oops - don't tell me I don't want to compare. See - this is the best bit about doing it this way around, there's no "In the UK this, in the Uk that"!!

yours aye,

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Mar 10th 2005 at 5:44 pm. Reason: correct "sick" to "sink"

Old Mar 10th 2005, 5:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I'm seriously impressed

Originally Posted by Badge

There's even a little beer fridge under the sick.

Badge

Hope they clean that up before she goes in. :scared:
Old Mar 10th 2005, 5:53 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Today I saw the maternity ward of the brand new hospital that we are having the young Badge in. It's a public hospital.

It is spotless, (of course, it is new) but, the thing is, it has the most amazing facilities.

First off, you get 3 bags of goodies. One now, one at birth and another you collect from target after the baby has been around for a few months.

Every woman (or man- I don't want to be sexist here - I am sure there are men that want to have babies) gets her(his) own birthing room, equipped with a sink, window looking on to green fields, buttons to press for light, tv, assistance, oxgen on walls, little ensuite and shower. There were so many buttons I didn't have time to study them all.

When I was a kid, I was often asked if I "had been born in a barn". Well, now the worry is, and there is no other conclusion; I now suspect that maybe I actually *had* been. My mother says she was in a ward pushing with all the other sheilas. The situation was clearly dire.

I am seriously impressed. Perhaps the TV would be better suited outside the room as the baby is due on Grand Final Day and I think presiding over a birth is too much of a distraction, but this will give me a bit of kudos at work so I plan to milk this situation.

There are also shiny new bathrooms so that women can drop in baths, there are shiny rooms with beds for us blokes - in fact if you get lucky you can even share with your wife - because s(he) gets *another* room, equipped with *double* bed to lounge in before s(he) starts to contract.

What's it like in the UK? Oops - don't tell me I don't want to compare. See - this is the best bit about doing it this way around, there's no "In the UK this, in the Uk that"!!

yours aye,

Badge

You just got me dangerously close to wanting to have offspring purely for the holiday.

My mate here just had a baby here and they dont even chuck you out the same day, you get to live in the luxury room for a good few days.

You sound well chuffed

Kala
Old Mar 10th 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Badge... you should consider yourself very lucky that your wife does not belong to this obscure tribe (name and country escapes me) that i once saw on a TV documentary. Apparently it is custom for the father of the child to attend the birth, whereby, the expectant mother has the comforting ritual of squeezing her mans testicles each time she has a contraction just so he can feel her pain... :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:01 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Badge... you should consider yourself very lucky that your wife does not belong to this obscure tribe (name and country escapes me) that i once saw on a TV documentary. Apparently it is custom for the father of the child to attend the birth, whereby, the expectant mother has the comforting ritual of squeezing her mans testicles each time she has a contraction just so he can feel her pain... :scared: :scared:

I'm joining that tribe before I ever give birth, only fair i'd say

K
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Badge,
Hate to put a downer on it (I'm a uk midwife recently arrived over here). Don't be distracted by the plush surroundings. Ask them their 'normal birth' rate. Is it private, if so, obstetric led or midwifery led? I am really quite shocked by the system over here. Maternity care is definately not (and I'm talking generally here) as forward thinking, or evidence based as the uk. Some of the practices would get you struck off! A fantastic hotel-style room won't make up for having half your arse sliced off to pull a baby out. Sorry, don't mean to scare any parents-to-be. On the more postive side, the breastfeeding rates here are brilliant compared with the uk.
Rachel x
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

yours aye,

Badge
About the same as where my son was born in the UK, an NHS hospital. I agree with the other poster on here, It's the quality & attitude of the doctors, midwives & nurses that count. The midwives in Redhill were like angels, fantastic, as was the consultant. If you've got this, then in does not matter if you are born in a barn.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Badge,

Make sure you bung the obstetrician a fifty for a couple of extra stitches "downstairs".
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great Badge, hope all goes well for you and Mrs B and the ickle badger.

I have to say that both our children were born in Nottingham City Hospital's maternity unit and the surroundings, service and care were absolutely excellent ( particularly with our 2nd child which was a scary and drawn out experience. )

Private birthing rooms for each expectant mother is the norm...these days no-one gives birth 'on-mass', so to speak!!!

Our hospital also offered a hotel service afterwards, room service etc ( at a cost, of course ) but I declined as I wished to get home ASAP!!!

Your local hospital sounds impressive ( and as your only experience of maternity is in Oz, you are suitably impressed ) and that is great, it's very important to feel comfortable and confident about where your child will be born but the UK facilties we used were first class, also.

I sometimes knock the UK but in this case the UK hospital did there absolute upmost with the births of both my children and we were very happy and grateful for that.

Good luck and best wishes, it's an exciting time, eh?!!!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
Badge,

Make sure you bung the obstetrician a fifty for a couple of extra stitches "downstairs".
Alternatively ask for a midwife and you might not need any stitches! By the way, I have heard that comment far too many times whilst I am busy suturing. I won't repeat the answer I usually give, but it involves suggested alterations to the male anatomy!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The facilities etc at Randwick look good and once booked in with the midwives a lot of stuff fell into place. The problem is with the ultrasound. The public facility is always booked however to fob you off they say it is broken.

Booking the 12 week trans nucal was a nightmare and the idiot receptionist kept on fobbing us off on weeks when the scan is useless. Luckily we have a doctor in the family so we were confident in what we were asking. This was at a private ultrasound place because getting into the public one was a nightmare. I know someone who did not get the 12 week trans nucal and the 20 week scan showed a missing kidney.

Randwick midwives seem to rule the roost. At first we were being pushed into the birthing centre which is supposed to be a homely environment where you give birth naturally. There is a good forum out there (someone here previously gave the link) where people give their birthing experiences. Seems like the midwives at the birthing centre keep the patients going for a natural birth a bit too long.

We are going for team midwifery. Ideally shared care would have been a better option (using a local GP and the midwife at the hospital) but only randwick GPs are in the scheme.

We still have not seen an obstetrician.

The Mrs needs one (hopefully final ultrasound) and the public place is playing up on trying to give a slot.

Luckily all is fine but we are not overly happy. Having a doctor in the family helps enourmously.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Sounds great Badge, hope all goes well for you and Mrs B and the ickle badger.

Private birthing rooms for each expectant mother is the norm...these days no-one gives birth 'on-mass', so to speak!!!

Our hospital also offered a hotel service afterwards, room service etc ( at a cost, of course ) but I declined as I wished to get home ASAP!!!

Your local hospital sounds impressive ( and as your only experience of maternity is in Oz, you are suitably impressed ) and that is great, it's very important to feel comfortable and confident about where your child will be born but the UK facilties we used were first class, also.

I sometimes knock the UK but in this case the UK hospital did there absolute upmost with the births of both my children and we were very happy and grateful for that.

Good luck and best wishes, it's an exciting time, eh?!!!
Ditto all of that Leigh.

Its also worth pointing out that this hospital is brand spanking new. If the little badger had been born a year ago i think the nearest maternity is in Dandenong, now that would be very very scary :scared:
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:58 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
Ditto all of that Leigh.

Its also worth pointing out that this hospital is brand spanking new. If the little badger had been born a year ago i think the nearest maternity is in Dandenong, now that would be very very scary :scared:

Or the Angliss, Both Shane Warne & Steve Irwin were born there.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Or the Angliss, Both Shane Warne & Steve Irwin were born there.
Yeah, but the staff are dodgy there
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:07 pm
The Godfather

Originally Posted by hevs
Yeah, but the staff are dodgy there

I'll just pass that comment on to Staff Nurse Mrs Bordy. :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.