Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm scared-It sounds like i need a load of money to get to OZ??

I'm scared-It sounds like i need a load of money to get to OZ??

Old Mar 7th 2004, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm scared-It sounds like i need a load of money to get to OZ??

New to this -so be gentle with me o.k I've been reading through a lot of posts and it seems that you have to be loaded to emigrate.Is this really the case?What are the general costs of getting a family of four to Oz and what kind of lolly would we need in hand?I don't do the money thing well-I think i'm allergic to it or something!!!!
So any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Debi
Old Mar 7th 2004, 6:34 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Depending if you use an agent to get there and have pets you are bringing etc, plan to spend at least GPB7K to get there. Visa costs and shipping costs etc.....

Once in OZ you get no social welfare help (apart from Child allowance) for 2 years so technically you should have 2 years worth of living costs (rent, food, leccy etc) but there are lots of people on here who have successfully moved to OZ with less that A$25k in the bank.

Do a search on costs.

Hope this helps
M&C
Old Mar 7th 2004, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm scared-It sounds like i need a load of money to get to OZ??

Hi,

Yes understand how expensive it might appear.

I would do the online assessments that many agents offer. If your case is very straight forward it may be worthwhile to D.I.Y.

This is a really resourceful site and many have experienced what you may embark upon so ask specific questions.

I really don't believe that you have to be rich, or we wouldn't be doing it.

Most of the people I spoke to at one of the meets last year didn't even have money in the bank as such. More likely tied up in their homes. We are using the equity in our house to fund everything and hopefully set us up once we get there.

Our situation although in a very favourable category is not straight forward so we are using Go Matilda who have a very informative web site.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Tracey.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 6:46 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Also depends on where you are planning to settle.

Perth and Adelaide are cheaper than Sydney and Melbourne but (generally speaking) dont have such good employment choices. Brisbane is kinda in between.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 6:49 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Mairi and Chris,

You mentioned childrens allowance - roughtly how much do you get per week/fornight/month ? we have 2 boys 6 and 8 years old.

Thanks.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 6:51 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by debio
New to this -so be gentle with me o.k I've been reading through a lot of posts and it seems that you have to be loaded to emigrate.Is this really the case?What are the general costs of getting a family of four to Oz and what kind of lolly would we need in hand?I don't do the money thing well-I think i'm allergic to it or something!!!!
Cheers
Debi
Hi Debi

Costs vary depending on what you apply under. Take a look at DIMIA site. In meantime, for Skilled Ind 136 with bond =

*Migration Agent £2,000
*DIMIA application £600 [+/-]
*Skills assessed £400
*Oz Bond £40,000
*Flights to Oz [4 adults 1 way] £2,000 [+/-]

Sub total = £45,000

Please note: Above = approx costs and include bond. You may have enough points not to have to pay a bond? Also removal costs, paying off outstanding loans early etc...etc.

Also need enough £ to live on when arrive in Oz [until find job/jobs etc].

Hope this helps

Phoenixuk2oz

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Mar 7th 2004 at 6:54 pm.

Old Mar 7th 2004, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies guys-I'm off down the docks now to earn a few bob!!!!!!
I know i don't need a bond but it's still a lot of lolly-my old man doesn't like taking a chance so it's gonna be a nightmare persuading him to do it.
I'm a teacher for my sins and he is an electrician and gasfitter.What are the chances of getting jobs for us sooner rather than later? We want to go to Perth (south of)
All advice and help needed.
Debi
Old Mar 7th 2004, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant remember all of the costs exactly but heres a guide .
Before arrival:

Skills assessment : 300
Application :650
Medicals :300
police checks :20
postage :60
estate agent :1800
solicitor :500
shipping :3000
flights :1300

On arrival you would need to consider short term accomodation which is often expensive, having enough to offer 3/6 months rent in advance if required due to lack of ausie references, transport, and general living expenses for at least 6 months unless you are sure of a firm job offer.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Luke1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debio
Cheers
Debi
Hi,
With regard to the bond you will only require to put this up front for a twelve month if you cannot make the required points ie 110 instead of 115, we submitted the bond last August, and it is paying 4.5% interest, paid half yearly. We booked our flights with Singapore airlines for under 1k for the three of us, I dont'think you need to spend to much time down the docks.
Best of luck
Luke
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Luke-got to say the docks were a bit chilly tonight and well i didn't realise i'd have to pay them LOL
When and where are you going to? Have you got jobs to go to?Tell me if i'm being too nosey!
Cheers,
Debi
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:23 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by mcmercer
I cant remember all of the costs exactly but heres a guide .
Before arrival:

Skills assessment : 300
Application :650
Medicals :300
police checks :20
postage :60
estate agent :1800
solicitor :500
shipping :3000
flights :1300
Oh yes.....good points McM.......I forgot about medicals,Police checks, estate agents fees

Eeeee by gum the list is endless:scared:

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:25 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the the biggest costs is the lost income during the period between jobs.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

wasnt there a poll on here a while ago about how much people were taking with them?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:35 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by bondipom
One of the the biggest costs is the lost income during the period between jobs.
What do ya think reasonable? Bout 6/12 months salary 4 when get 2 Oz?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 7th 2004, 11:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by irishmolly
Mairi and Chris,

You mentioned childrens allowance - roughtly how much do you get per week/fornight/month ? we have 2 boys 6 and 8 years old.

Thanks.
It could come out at about $130 pw for the two kids, but it depends on income, whether both parents work etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.