Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

im in oz geelong area

im in oz geelong area

Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default im in oz geelong area

Hi everyone well im in oz now on my working holiday visa only been a week now and the weather has been amazing.

I have not done much yet apart from chill out on beach etc and it did not help with the bad weather in the uk that i miss my connection flight, and then dont get any luggage for about 3 days after i arrive so really not got going yet.

i have been about and got my label placed in passport so i can work and also applied for tfn online which has still to arrive.

I still have to open a hsbc account in which i could have done a few days ago but stupid me i forgot my card where i get my funds from and could not but a deposit down which is needed but i will go back and do this.

I am now needing a car but im not sure what to pay for one or get, my plans where before i left uk was going to be a ford falcon ea or eb or something like that, as they where ok cars i was told and easy to get parts for, but a family member said they like the fuel so i better getting something smaller.

i was told maybe a ford laser or something which is cheap to run there are many different older cars here and vary in price but im not sure what to go for, i dont want to spend all my money on one more so when i have not got any work yet or started looking ,but if i did get some work then i maybe could get something newer,but then who wants something like that i am only here temp.

I was offered a ford laser 1984 for $400 maybe less i think but its not got rego, well it has till end of march and then needs it again and also it does not have road worthy so these are extras i would need to pay, and thats why the guy is selling so cheap as it need these, he said if i wanted it with rego and road worth it would cost more, do you think this would be a good buy as i have seen it in other papers etc and there asking price is much more.

only thing that bugs me here is buying a car so old, last thing i want is to have it break down while out and about or when traveling, as the costs that could add could end up being much more, but then any car any age can break down.

can anyone give advise on this as im not sure what i should do i just know i need a car asap as everywhere in oz needs transport to get there.

Also i have a few places to try but only when i get a car for work as pipefitter can anyone recommend any job search sites in oz or places, i am in the geelong area so any help would be great as said i have been given some places to try in which when i get a car will do, im in the petro-chem/oil and gas industry with offshore experience too.

also as i am new to this area was wondering if there was anyone else on here that was in oz backpacking or just looking to make friends etc female or male as there is nothing worse being so far from home and not knowing much people, just glad i have relatives here in which they have sons a few years younger than me but you know how it is they are both married and dont go out much.

im 32 soon so anyone out there please pm me in this area would be cool.

As i said i have only been here a week now so have heaps of stuff to do and arrange but any help you could give would be great
Old Feb 9th 2004, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: im in oz geelong area

Glad to hear it's all going well for you.

I'm afraid I don't know a thing about buying cars. The first one I bought (in UK) was about 7 years old, I had no trouble with it because I killed it 4 months after I bought it.

Good luck with the job search. There's a bit of offshore action in Vic, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start to get into the industry.

Have fun making friends.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brian.w
also as i am new to this area was wondering if there was anyone else on here that was in oz backpacking or just looking to make friends etc female or male as there is nothing worse being so far from home and not knowing much people, just glad i have relatives here in which they have sons a few years younger than me but you know how it is they are both married and dont go out much.
You're bit of a worrier aren't you Brian?

Try the Lonely Planet Thorntree site at http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=10

It's just what you need for ideas on where to go to make the most of your WHV and also might give you an idea of what the average backpacker gets up to whilst they're in Australia (they do not spend all their time in Geelong).

It looks like you've come all this way just to re-create your life at home. You shouldn't be worrying about excess baggage, internet connection contracts and finding a job just like you had at home - you should be getting out and about and seeing the country.

I think you should get out of Geelong and move into a hostel in Melbourne as soon as you can. You'll meet heaps of people in the same boat as yourself and have a lot more fun.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:45 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nickyc

Try the Lonely Planet Thorntree site at http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=10

It's just what you need for ideas on where to go to make the most of your WHV and also might give you an idea of what the average backpacker gets up to whilst they're in Australia (they do not spend all their time in Geelong).

It looks like you've come all this way just to re-create your life at home. You shouldn't be worrying about excess baggage, internet connection contracts and finding a job just like you had at home - you should be getting out and about and seeing the country.

I think you should get out of Geelong and move into a hostel in Melbourne as soon as you can. You'll meet heaps of people in the same boat as yourself and have a lot more fun.
I tried that but ended up hooked line and sinker to a beautiful Sydneysider.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I tried that but ended up hooked line and sinker to a beautiful Sydneysider.
And so did I!

But I bet you didn't find her whilst sitting in front of a PC in a relative's house in country Victoria....
Old Feb 9th 2004, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by nickyc

yes maybe i am a bit of a worrier, but i have only been here a week so give me a chance once i get some transport as i plan to buy a car i will go places, as for hostel was thinking of that and probably will go to one at some point in australia, but im will relatives right now and im sure its better and less expensive than any hostel maybe boring at first.