Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Im leaving in 2 months what should I be doing

Im leaving in 2 months what should I be doing

Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Im leaving in 2 months what should I be doing

Hi guys

Im leaving England for Brisbane in 2 months, can anyone advise me of things I should be doing, Im starting to get really stressed about it all. I leave my house in 1 Month.

Thanks
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Im leaving in 2 months what should I be doing

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi guys

Im leaving England for Brisbane in 2 months, can anyone advise me of things I should be doing, Im starting to get really stressed about it all. I leave my house in 1 Month.

Thanks
Cant really help, as I leave in 15 days :scared: and find the simple things very stressful ............God knows how my wife copes as she doing all the packing, writing to cancel stuff and so on .

All I would suggest is make sure you have your P85 http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf filled out and ready to post as soon as you get your P45
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tabby
Cant really help, as I leave in 15 days :scared: and find the simple things very stressful ............God knows how my wife copes as she doing all the packing, writing to cancel stuff and so on .

All I would suggest is make sure you have your P85 http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf filled out and ready to post as soon as you get your P45
Thanks, I will get that dealt with. Good luck with your move, god knows what I will be like by 15 days to go, Im already stressed to the max.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:45 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we have 2.5mths max before we go - By Sunday we will have finished our whirlwind trips around UK to visit friends/relations (they must come to us in Jan)

Pots that have had plants in I have started to clean, and give the plants away. Some item have been made ready for shippers, some put aside for flight. Xmas, NY period will be dismantling some furniture, more packing, cleaning garden stuff we are taking and disposing on things/junk that we are not.

Lists are being compiled split into tasks or rooms, but the amount of stuff seems endless.

or try one of Carrianne helpful post
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Hi guys

Thanks
Hi
We're leaving (hopefully) for Brisbane end Jan start of Feb.House sale dragging,waiting to exchange . Made lots of enquiries ref shipping , schools rentals etc but can't book anything definite as we don't exactly when we will arrive in Oz.What with Christmas and trying to organise a NY/ Leaving party things are getting very stressfull :scared: Thanks for the reminder about tax i forgot all about it . Hope you all still have a happy Christmas and good luck for the new year.

Cheers

Steve

Steve
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I fly Feb 19th to Oz via a 10 week trip through South America - so I have that to think about as well as all the normal emigration stuff.

To be honest, I think I am waiting, or have been waiting, for January to come around. Then I will have 6 weeks of madness. I was going to do a car boot but they start at 7am....way too early for a Sunday...so I think it will be charity shops and the tip....luckily I havent got any big furniture to take.

The shippers are booked for Feb 15th..they will be going one way round the world, whilst we got the other. Its all a bit mad really.

What is this all about? Does it entitle you to a tax rebate? Does this mean you dont have to pay tax on any interest accrued in normal bank accounts in the UK?

"All I would suggest is make sure you have your P85 http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf filled out and ready to post as soon as you get your P45"

Enjoy Xmas and NY, then hit it hard in Jan/Feb.

Cheers, SS

Last edited by SuperSeagulls; Dec 13th 2005 at 5:53 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:57 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
What is this all about? Does it entitle you to a tax rebate? Does this mean you dont have to pay tax on any interest accrued in normal bank accounts in the UK?
basically it mean that, say you work til end of Jan, that is 10mths of the tax year and you will have only used up 10/12 of your personnal allowance and tax bands. As you should be entitled to the full allowance & bands you will have slightly overpaid tax, thus a refund.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by tabby

Thanks a lot..

Also, where do you send that form to?

And could you be screwed over if you don't fill this form out, and decide to return to the Uk in say, 3 or 4 years time?

SS

Last edited by SuperSeagulls; Dec 13th 2005 at 6:04 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Hi guys

Thanks
No offence........BUT! The first thing you should think about doing is,,,,getting a grip!!! Pull yourself together dude, now is not the time to lose it!!!

HOW long have you had to plan for this move?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

LauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Im leaving in 2 months what should I be doing

Hi there
Thank goodness I found a post along these lines. Got my pros marriage visa through yesterday, in only a week, which was a shock to say the least, and in the adrenalin fuelled euphoria booked flights as soon as i could get to a phone and now panicking like a good'un :scared:
Thanks to everyone for the tips. There are many I hadn't thought of (probably cus I'm in such a spin and can't think straight! lol)
Bribie here we come!!!
Thanks again
Laura
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:39 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Thanks
Normal reaction, so don't feel like you have to be even doing anything, maybe a complete day away from the lot, we did this in Australia moving back to UK, did great day out, no talk of packing, etc and it did help a LOT, much more focussed.

Good luck
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:40 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
No offence........BUT! The first thing you should think about doing is,,,,getting a grip!!! Pull yourself together dude, now is not the time to lose it!!!

HOW long have you had to plan for this move?
I think sometimes everything seems worse that it really is, I have been through this with a move Oz to UK so a normal reaction, I am sure under it all lawlaw is doing OK
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all you help, except one which was just mean! I know im over stressing, I think I have most things in order and lists etc, I was mostly asking for advice to check if I had overlooked anything which I had, totally forgot about dealing with the inland revenue.

Merlots mum, your very right we do need an non australia non moving day to chill out, think i may set a little time aside with the husband, you begin to lose sight of everyday normal life dont you.

Thank you all
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

PS Good luck to all you guys making the move soon. Hope verything goes smoothly for you all.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:50 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

PS Good luck to all you guys making the move soon. Hope verything goes smoothly for you all.
Just want to wish you loads of luck in your move Lawlaw

Oh and SS, a 10 week trip round south america on route sounds fab, enjoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.