Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm heading to Oz in October, any advice??

I'm heading to Oz in October, any advice??

Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:40 am
Just Joined

East Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really nice
Default I'm heading to Oz in October, any advice??

Hi Guys,

I'm heading out to Oz in October this year on a WHV for a year.

I'm pretty much there on saving. But obviously i'm going to need a job and accomodation pretty quickly when I arrive.

Accomodation - I'm guessing that I should get something sorted (at least for the first week) before I go. Can anyone suggest the best and most cost affective way to do this?

Job - I'm not too fussed what I do but I know it's not as simple as walking in somewhere and getting hired. Should I also get this sorted before I go? If so, how?

Flights - I havent booked my flights yet, mainly in hope that the prices will drop a bit nearer the time. In your experiences will prices drop anymore than they have done? And also, should I get a one-way ticket and get my return nearer the time when I know dates better or should I just get a return ticket now so it's sorted?

Thanks for any help
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm heading to Oz in October, any advise??

Accomm - why not just book a hostel for the first week and take it from there, that's what most WHV'ers would do.

Job - almost zero chance you will be able to get one before arriving so that will have to wait until arrival.

Flights - have a look at the low cost option e.g. Air Asia (flights to Melbourne, Perth & Gold Coast via KL)....you could pick up 2 very cheap one ways that way, and have complete flexibility in your return date. Otherwise book a flexible return ensuring that the ticket is valid long enough for the length of your stay...a student travel agency like STA or Trailfinders is probably a good start for the best ticket types.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:13 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Check out letsgo.com for a travel guide, these guys specialize in a budget travel advice. Also make sure to visit a local tourist info center where ever you land to pick up brochures. If you want to extend your visa into a second year, you can do that by doing three months fruit picking. There are guidebooks to the local farms by season, etc.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Voyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to all

Staying in a hostel to begin with might be your best option most hostels have notice boards where people are looking for flat mates etc and when you have a better idea of the different areas then you might have a preference of where you want to live-where are you heading first? I stayed in central yha in Sydney to begin with-it's right in the city but there are loads of decent hostels around the main train station and the staff at most hostels are pretty helpful.
I had a return flight but we ended up changing this twice at £50 a time so it might be worthwhile getting a one way ticket to begin with-plus most Whv holders I met decided to get a second year one (definitely worth considering) in fact many of my friends who I met travelling never came back to the
Uk!
Most Whv holders get casual work although there have been instances of Whv holders getting pretty well paid positions and some who even went on to get sponsored!!(mainly skilled workers)
Just keep your options open!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The Gumtree http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/ is your friend. There is a page for pretty much all Aus cities and should help you get started once you arrive
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Have a look at this. http://www.wwoof.com.au/ A lot of WHV people do this, great variety of jobs. And I believe if you work for 3 months at a place like this you may apply for a second year WHV.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

shunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm heading to Oz in October, any advice??

im heading to sydney in november, if i get my visa fingers crossed, cant wait. im the same havent got a clue what its guna be like, accom jobs etc.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

East Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really niceEast Sparkle is just really nice

Originally Posted by shunt
im heading to sydney in november, if i get my visa fingers crossed, cant wait. im the same havent got a clue what its guna be like, accom jobs etc.
Good to know I'm not the only one a bit nervous

I'm going on my own and have never been there so I'm kinda the same as you in that I dont really know what to expect.

Have you applied for a visa yet? Are you going on your own?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 3:50 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Another good link for 'specified work in regional Australia' which can help land a second WHV is http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx
Old Jul 15th 2011, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by East Sparkle
Good to know I'm not the only one a bit nervous

I'm going on my own and have never been there so I'm kinda the same as you in that I dont really know what to expect.

Have you applied for a visa yet? Are you going on your own?
In the back packer scene you will never know that you have left England. A world unto itself. Generally a lot of fun. Oz is perhaps the easiest country to undertake such a thing along with New Zealand.

If you want to stay in one place look for a share house. All will be apparent soon enough after you get here.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

shunt is an unknown quantity at this point

ive applied for a whv mate, im going over with my girlfriend. we havent booked anything yet, we are hoping to stop in singapore for 3/4days on the way their. Hoping to hire a camper van after a couple months working and travel round for few weeks. Cant wait. Dont know wat to expect though.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 4:02 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Try this website: www.taw.com.au

It's a job search site for those going to Oz on a WHV.

My son has already been offered a job and he's only been there 10 days, although he's on a PR visa.

Julie. x