Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm getting eaten alive,HELP!!!!!!!!

I'm getting eaten alive,HELP!!!!!!!!

Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough
Default I'm getting eaten alive,HELP!!!!!!!!

can anyone offer any sound advice on how to avoid being eaten alive !!!!!!!!!
We have been in Ozz for four months now, we've tried the zapper, the Mosquito coils, the Citronella candles, the Sandalwood mosquito sticks, we've even sprayed ourselves with "Rid", and taken to eating vegemite but alas nothing works,is there anything out there that really does work, or will the bites deteriorate in time when we build up a resistance to them?????

We would be grateful for any comments

Thanks in advance

Kath and Ian
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:09 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: I'm getting eaten alive,HELP!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ianp
We have been in Ozz for four months now, we've tried the zapper, the Mosquito coils, the Citronella candles, the Sandalwood mosquito sticks, we've even sprayed ourselves with "Rid", and taken to eating vegemite but alas nothing works,is there anything out there that really does work, or will the bites deteriorate in time when we build up a resistance to them?????

Thanks in advance

Kath and Ian

I feel for you!! I suffer from the same problem.... there's nothing unusual about my friends getting a bite or two and me a bite or 10 while sat outside. The past couple of times I've been wearing aeroguard/rid and still got bitten!

I've been told the usual; vegemite, garlic, parsley as well. I've also been told that Vitamin B Complex works. I keep meaning to buy some to try it. I did some 'google' research on this and there are mixed results... can't hurt though can it!

FWIW, I rarely got bitten in the UK, have been here on and off for two years now and the bites have got not decreased
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:19 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

I take Vitamin B and garlic and have never (touch wood) been bitten.

Friends of ours in QLD recommended this to us.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: I'm getting eaten alive,HELP!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Kath and Ian
I think they only go for Permanent Residents. When you take out citizenship they leave you alone unless you spend 365 days outside australia in the next 2 year period........
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:38 am
Go Power!!!!!

Multicoloured Crocodile is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
I take Vitamin B and garlic and have never (touch wood) been bitten.

Friends of ours in QLD recommended this to us.
Garlic is the answer but unfortunately doesn't just get rid of insects!
It's a good idea to take it as it's also got untold health benefits so you can't lose really.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:40 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
I think they only go for Permanent Residents. When you take out citizenship they leave you alone unless you spend 365 days outside australia in the next 2 year period........
LOL...

I get bitten now and then, but when the buggers see Gillian, they phone all their freinds to arrange a meal, meet for a drink beforehand, & browse the "Gillian" menu!
(arm, leg, foot,)! Leg below the knee seems to be the Chef's recomendation!

When we go for an evening BBQ, Gillian goes through about half a can of mozzie spray before we leave the house!!!

Doesn't exactly smell like cK1, but at least it stops her from suffering.

We've recenty heard that having a drink of Berocca every day does the trick, & keeps the wee b#stards at bay!

Will keep you posted on how that goes.....
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I very rarely get bitten. It was the same also when I lived in the med. I do eat a mediterranean diet with plenty of garlic and flat leaf parsley
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:08 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by debsy
I very rarely get bitten. It was the same also when I lived in the med. I do eat a mediterranean diet with plenty of garlic and flat leaf parsley
Yes, I've also heard that mossies don't like the olive oil and lemon that is common in the Med diet.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

put up with it

your reaction to being bitten reduces significantly each year. I've only been here a year and a half and my bites are much less painful and smaller this summer than last.

The locals tell me that you will only feel the bad ones after living here sufficiently long enough
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:45 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance

Kath and Ian
I'm semi allergic to mozzies and have tried literally everything.

Nothing works!!!! I'm currently sitting here with 14 bites on one leg, 11 bites on the other, plus about 6-8 bites on each arm.

Thats with copious amounts of garlic, vitamin B and aeroguard !!!! (plus red wine and chololate port - just in case )

What I can recommend is the SOOV liquid gel. It takes the itching out almost immediately plus gets rid of the lumps and bumps.

I've given up trying to stop the bites and just apply a huge amount of SOOV on the hour every hour Expensive but effective !!!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:47 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Cover up. Wear loose clothing.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

The best thing you can do is rub your body in sugar water (1 table spoon per litre of water)

Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:21 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Our friend who had lived in Oz over 30 years told us to get citronella oil and dab it on yourself before going out, hubby still got bitten (they seemed to love him) but certainly not as bad.

we were also told that the longer you live there the less likely you are to get bittten as your blood gets thinner living in a hot climate and the mozzies like newly arrived migrants as our blood is still thick from living in a cooler climate,don't know if this is true but we didn't see many Australians covered in bites?

Susan
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its got a lot to do with when you go outside, they 'hit' on dusk, and come out wanting fresh blood to feed on. The 45 mins or so just before it gets dark is the worst, of course once its dark they are out there but the intense biting is usually dusk, avoid it, stay inside thats why aussies dont get bitten there inside. People still get bitten after a lifetime here you dont become immune to them and it only takes one bite to pass on ross river etc so dont worry about herbal remedies hit the rid and cover up.

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 28th 2004 at 7:32 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:36 pm
wombat42

Thanks in advance

Kath and Ian
Mossies are only a problem during summer and it depends where you live. There are almost no mossies at all where l live, the worst places are near rivers or lakes where they breed. The best way to stop them getting into the house is to have flywire aroumd your windows, which will stop most but not all. Get rid of any places nearby where they could breed such as old fish ponds, water tanks or anything with water in it. Perhaps you could spray your house with fly or insect killer sprays once a day, some good ones ar low irritant and will kill all insects for 48 hours after use. If all else fails perhaps you could sleep under mosquito nets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.