Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

im freezin here in Melly!!!

im freezin here in Melly!!!

Old May 9th 2005, 7:45 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default im freezin here in Melly!!!

Hello

just to let you know, if you are moving to Aus, you HAVE to get a house with central heating...........

Its been freezing here on a night, we had 2 quilts on last night and a sheet and pyjamas and i was cold! This morning was even worse, it was 7 degrees and no heating!!!! :scared: how cold was i????

Thing is when you say you are cold, everyone replies with, "how can you be cold where you came fom?" Yes but we have central heatin on in England when its 7 degrees.........bbbrrrhhhhh.......

must say tho it does get out nice on the evenings, aswalked montu along the beach at 3.3o and sun was shining and it was nice and warm (about 20 degrees maybe???) just gets freezin on a night, we have been sat around a small fan heater, our lekky bill will be HUGE!!!

Laura
x
Old May 9th 2005, 7:55 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: im freezin here in Melly!!!

Doesn't anyone have reverse cycle air con down in Melbourne ?

I had it in each of my houses in Sydney, as I thought that was cold enough in Winter, but Melbourne would be even colder.

My average Electric cost in winter, (in Sydney) worked out at $5.30 per day, and that covered the R/C AirCon on all the time, aswell as all cooking and Hot water, as we didn't have Gas.

Old May 9th 2005, 8:01 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I had it in each of my houses in Sydney, as I thought that was cold enough in Winter, but Melbourne would be even colder.

My average Electric cost in winter, (in Sydney) worked out at $5.30 per day, and that covered the R/C AirCon on all the time, aswell as all cooking and Hot water, as we didn't have Gas.

shit man, :scared: mine was about $1 per day on my last bill for Feb/march, i am gettin worried now about my winter bills, have the heater on now, and Montu the dog is sittin right in front of it, bless her!!! Think i better invest in some thermals from kmart!!!

laura
x
Old May 9th 2005, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guesstimate, that our reverse cycle air con, costs about 3 dollars to run over 24 hours, which ain too bad, seeing if thats all the heating one has, 3 bucks to keep warm !! (I know 'cos it costs about 3 bucks a day in the summer to cool)

Although, we have a gas wall furnace thing going full bore at present, has been most of the day (7 year old is home sick) backed up with a wood heater out here in this back room, consequently, whole house is warm, albeit slightly draughty, dammit when I polished the floors, I didn't plug the gaps properly lol.

If I had that gas heater on, close to 24/7 for a billing cycle, my gas bill would be around 300 bucks for about 2 months.
Old May 9th 2005, 9:26 am
Badge

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I felt colder in Sydney - maybe the lack of cloud cover means whilst the days are sunnier (in mid winter) the nights get colder as well. The BOM site bears this out.

We've had stacks of sun this autumn(!) - people who say Melbourne is grey have never been in Autumn (!) I've loved this autumn thus far. Come mid winter it is quite grey at times.

Badge

Old May 9th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hello

just to let you know, if you are moving to Aus, you HAVE to get a house with central heating...........

Its been freezing here on a night, we had 2 quilts on last night and a sheet and pyjamas and i was cold! This morning was even worse, it was 7 degrees and no heating!!!! :scared: how cold was i????

Thing is when you say you are cold, everyone replies with, "how can you be cold where you came fom?" Yes but we have central heatin on in England when its 7 degrees.........bbbrrrhhhhh.......

must say tho it does get out nice on the evenings, aswalked montu along the beach at 3.3o and sun was shining and it was nice and warm (about 20 degrees maybe???) just gets freezin on a night, we have been sat around a small fan heater, our lekky bill will be HUGE!!!

Laura
x
Hi Laura

I have sent you some karma to warm you up a bit, you poor things! But please think of us over here.....still waiting for summer to arrive.

Wrap up warm
Theresa