Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm confused..???

I'm confused..???

Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

infinity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm confused..???

If you do apply and get residency in NZ, being British do you then have dual citizenship?

My wife being a nurse would have now trouble getting PR I assume, but how long could I expect to wait to get my PR?

Thanks again you all!
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Being British and having NZ PR, does not give you automatic rights to New Zealand citizenship, I think you are able to apply for citizensphip after a period of 3 years.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:47 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by N.Finn Fan
Being British and having NZ PR, does not give you automatic rights to New Zealand citizenship, I think you are able to apply for citizensphip after a period of 3 years.

Then you would have dual citizenship, and this is allowed and quite common.

I had a flatmate once who had three passports. NZ, British and Canadian. There weren't many places in the world he was not allowed to live in with those three.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm able to have a German passport, if I could arsed to do my national service.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm confused..???

Originally posted by infinity
If you do apply and get residency in NZ, being British do you then have dual citizenship?

My wife being a nurse would have now trouble getting PR I assume, but how long could I expect to wait to get my PR?

Thanks again you all!
If you have PR you are not a NZ citizen - jusy a resident. After 3 years of residency (2 if you marry a kiwi) then you can apply for a NZ passport and then you will have dual citizenship