Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm beginning to think ignorance really is bliss!

I'm beginning to think ignorance really is bliss!

Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future
Default I'm beginning to think ignorance really is bliss!

Spent a month in NZ over Christmas. Have just got back to the UK from three weeks in Oz. Still don't know where to go!

When we went to NZ, we found it so much more appealling than the UK - we loved the scenery and felt quite at home. However, we felt we should look at Australia ... if only to dismiss it!

Perth is a lovely city, we had perfect "English summer" weather for their autumn, and were wowed by the quality of the housing and shopping malls. We drove north and had a nice time at Yanchep National park and drove south to Mandurah (another lovely place). The only minor things we found off-putting were the seemingly abundance of cockroaches, a snake we saw in the grasses near some sand dunes, and the wind which, whilst cooling, whipped the sand up in our faces every afternoon we were there (not good for contact lens users!). Surprisingly to us pommie tourists we saw no spiders.

Adelaide we found to be a poorer cousin with a rather unattractive area south of the airport. However, the CBD and its parks are wonderful, the beautiful and leafy Adelaide Hills obviously the place to live. We stayed about one and half miles south of Adelaide and enjoyed a quiet relaxed beachside village. Like Perth, a lot of the scenery was parched as it was early autumn and the summer had obviously been hot. Also, the heat was a dry one which felt good. On the creepy crawly front (you just cannot ignore this subject when you are new in a country) we had an invasion of wormy millipede things every night which we just brushed away, and we saw a snake rear up in the Adelaide Hills near Mount Lofty. Also saw no spiders.

We toured the Sydney area next and were immediately struck by the lush and green surroundings. Mr.S24 was seduced by it and marvelled at the green fields and forests we passed on our way to the South Coast area. Of course, there is a reason why it was so green and that is because it rains a lot ... and is quite humid. We did know beforehand that Easter was a wet time of year here, but it obviously rains a lot throughout the year. We loved the area though, felt quite at home, enjoyed the touristy things in Sydney but we felt the humidity in summer particularly did not suit us. Did see spiders though - dozens of them in their enormous webs in the Sydney Botanical gardens. Also picked up an orange tarantula-looking one in Kiama which was on the car wing mirror and worked its way along the top of the car windows which were wound up in what surely must be record time !!!

Just to refresh our memories, we popped over to Christchurch in NZ for a few days. It was quite a bit colder there and seemed a little 'dishevelled' compared to Australia.

So ... we have seen these areas and still have no idea where to head for. All have their pros and cons ... do we flip coins?

As I said, perhaps ignorance is bliss and we should have saved our money and just applied for a visa on faith.

I've told Mr.S24 that we should try for Victoria which we haven't visited ... it is sure to be the right place!

Old Apr 19th 2004, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

We recently got back from our recee, visited quite a few of the same places as you.{see were back ,lots to tell} thread.
Your right about the spiders in sydney botanical gardens, some belters arnt there, what about the bats. We really liked the look of Adelaide too. So Perth still looks good does it? didn't do it on this trip but have been before.What a choice to make!
Good luck in your decision.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 6:22 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine it's hard when starting off 'blank' and visiting all places...

I think most people chose where they've been before(holiday), or have friends or family. It makes the choice much easier (generally speaking).
I think only a small % choose because of jobs for instance. I think a poll was done once, I'll try to find it and bump it!

For me it's easy: Perth, because I've lived in WA, and have a few friends there!

If not Perth.... ??? My opinions are already formed because of WA for 9 years: Brisbane: too humid, Sydney too big/busy, Melbourne; alright, but a bit big and a bit cool, Adelaide: good!, Tasmania: bit to empty and cold. Darwin: too hot, too small(jobs)
Canberra: well, maybe... I don't care for beaches, so...

So, if I couldn't live in Perth:
Adelaide
Melbourne
Brisbane
Canberra

Oh, I don't know! It just depends on SO many factors, personal opinions etc etc.

Good luck with the decision! :scared:
If you can't choose, I think I'd look at where the most jobs are!