Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm back from my job interview in Mackay.

I'm back from my job interview in Mackay.

Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm back from my job interview in Mackay.

Well everyone, I'm back from my little interview trip:

Firstly the good news, I was offered the job and was really impressed with the company, Mackay itself wasn't a bad place seemed a little quiet but I thought we could settle there no probs, housing looked nice and more than enough to do, beaches were fantastic, they are building a new lagoon style park for 2006, they have a beautiful new harbour and everyone I met or spoke to seemed really nice and helpful, I would say north of the river seemed the best areas, and the Government are spending fortunes on promoting the tourism of the area and really building the place up.
The job itself was paying in the region of AUD $74K per annum, with a company car and fuel card thrown in, they also pay 9% supperannuation so this was excellent.

Now the bad news, the manager wanted a definite start date from me, I can't give him one as guess what, I arrived home yesterday to find out that our supposed house buyers (remember the ones self employed etc etc) well they now dont want the house to say I am fed up is probably the understatement of the year.
I know I could probably go over and start on my own, but I don't want to do this and also I don't think it is fair on my wife, leaving her over here to sell the house and look after the kids with me on the other side of the world.
Also we can't really afford to rent out or leave it for sale while over there, as we need to pay debts off etc to settle with a clean slate. The manager of the firm is really patient and will wait for me until May but he said if I ring him then and say I can't come over it will really be letting him down as he has been without someone since the new year, and I personally don't think it is professional to keep them hanging on, so I have made the decision to not take the job.
It is so annoying that I feel like screaming over this flippin house sale, it is so frustrating just waiting knowing everything is in place for us to go but we can't.

P.S. We have reduced the price again now to sell it quickly, because if we don't go soon I am liable to keep the viewer hostage until they sign an agreement to purchase.

Sorry for the long post
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:11 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm back from my job interview in Mackay.

That's a real bummer. I wish I could say something to cheer you up but I guess only a cash-buyer would do that right now.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
That's a real bummer. I wish I could say something to cheer you up but I guess only a cash-buyer would do that right now.

Thanks, oh and wouldn't that be a dream come true.

By the way do you know where I can kidnap a cash buyer
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

How about setting a date in a few months time. Then if you don't sell, or the sale is going through, you could head out on your own. It is unlikely to be long before your wife and kids arrive (especially if you're prepared to lower the price to sell). If you arrive first it will allow you to set-up before the family arrive, making their arrival smoother. It is easier to sort out accomodation, schools, banks etc without kids in tow. I would have loved to arrive to an already established set up. Good luck!
Rachel
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:51 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dicko

Firstly the good news, I was offered the job and was really impressed with the company, Mackay itself wasn't a bad place seemed a little quiet but I thought we could settle there no probs, housing looked nice and more than enough to do, beaches were fantastic, they are building a new lagoon style park for 2006, they have a beautiful new harbour and everyone I met or spoke to seemed really nice and helpful, I would say north of the river seemed the best areas, and the Government are spending fortunes on promoting the tourism of the area and really building the place up.
The job itself was paying in the region of AUD $74K per annum, with a company car and fuel card thrown in, they also pay 9% supperannuation so this was excellent.

Now the bad news, the manager wanted a definite start date from me, I can't give him one as guess what, I arrived home yesterday to find out that our supposed house buyers (remember the ones self employed etc etc) well they now dont want the house to say I am fed up is probably the understatement of the year.
I know I could probably go over and start on my own, but I don't want to do this and also I don't think it is fair on my wife, leaving her over here to sell the house and look after the kids with me on the other side of the world.
Also we can't really afford to rent out or leave it for sale while over there, as we need to pay debts off etc to settle with a clean slate. The manager of the firm is really patient and will wait for me until May but he said if I ring him then and say I can't come over it will really be letting him down as he has been without someone since the new year, and I personally don't think it is professional to keep them hanging on, so I have made the decision to not take the job.
It is so annoying that I feel like screaming over this flippin house sale, it is so frustrating just waiting knowing everything is in place for us to go but we can't.

P.S. We have reduced the price again now to sell it quickly, because if we don't go soon I am liable to keep the viewer hostage until they sign an agreement to purchase.

Sorry for the long post
Mate, i have e mailed you.

Malcolm.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:14 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

sorry to hear that.

and btw, just wondering (if i'm not being rude by asking) what the job was to be offered $74K in mackay!

Sorry for the long post
Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:42 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Sorry for the long post
Dicko,

I would be tempted to go to Oz, secure the job and sort out a house and all the stuff for the wife to arrive to. You could wait until May to go, almost 2 months to get it sold.

Maenwhile, when finaly in Oz, I would let the wife sort out the sale, drop the price and push the agent to do his / her job. (if you don't manage to sell it by then.)

If you pass up the job you could regret it later.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brisnick
sorry to hear that.

and btw, just wondering (if i'm not being rude by asking) what the job was to be offered $74K in mackay!

No worries, it was for a Production/Engineering Managers job, in a heavy engineering firm. Something I have basically been doing over here.

Thanks for the replies people, you have all got me thinking now.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:43 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: I'm back from my job interview in Mackay.

The manager of the firm is really patient and will wait for me until May but he said if I ring him then and say I can't come over it will really be letting him down as he has been without someone since the new year, and I personally don't think it is professional to keep them hanging on, so I have made the decision to not take the job.
Mate, don't do it! Keep your options open, you never know what's just around the corner with your house sale.

To get an offer like this in a great town such as Mackay (brilliant lifestyle for the family) is no mean feat, and you've obviously enchanted them!

My advice to you is to put yourself first ... just this once! Whilst I understand where you're coming from with the 'unprofessional to keep them hanging on' thing, this may be your best/biggest chance. Why give it away without, at least, some breathing space? If you can't take up the appointment by May, it's no skin off your nose. This sounds like a great opportunity, so don't throw it all away by being a 'prim and proper' Pom! (Spoken with tongue in cheek.) Seriously, give it some time. I'm sure that the boss didn't make the offer he did lightly and has factored in the fact that it may not happen ultimately. Go for it, Dicko; do your damnedest to sell/rent or whatever that house in UK in the next month/six weeks and hang on to the chance.

I might even consider letting you in on my little secret hideaway near Mackay if you get there!

Ok, I'll shut up now!

Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future

No worries, it was for a Production/Engineering Managers job, in a heavy engineering firm. Something I have basically been doing over here.

Thanks for the replies people, you have all got me thinking now.
Hi Dicko,
The job offer sounds great but i understand where your coming from i know i wouldnt like to be left to sell the house and look after all the kids either.
Ive been waiting for your post as we are looking to go to Mackay and i wanted to know what it was like,My husband is an engineer (is there many engineering firms there we've tried searching but without much luck,
Im sure there will be other job offers in time, good luck
Sonja
Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Hi Dicko

I agree with the posts that say take the job. You still have time on your hands and with a reduced price could sell quickly. If you liked Mackay its worth accepting it. It may be difficult for your wife to be left with the house, kids to sort out....but i would imagine it would be even more difficult in a new country with nothing arranged and no job on the horizon
Good luck with whatever you decide. Sending some karma to you
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:23 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have discussed what we would do in a similar situation and we agree that I would go immediately and start work leaving her to close out the UK side of things. Having said that, it may be because she thinks the hassles I would have settling in are more than the hassles she would have closing out the UK.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Major headthumper Dicko.

Any chance you could remortgage releasing enough equity to allow you all to move early ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280955
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: I'm back from my job interview in Mackay.

Hey forum, I may just be listening to your common sense for once!
Wow We just had a spur of the moment thing and emailed the manager of the firm to ask is the job offer still open.

May just go and say to fig with it, as Proofreader says, It's time to think of ourselves, as this is a well paid job in Oz and may not come round again.
And when the house is sold then I will pay the debts, I will ring the card companies and tell them this is what is going to happen.
Whats the worst they can do?
I may just have to pay the mortgage for a few months until it sells.

Am I mad or what :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future

Hey forum, I may just be listening to your common sense for once!
Wow We just had a spur of the moment thing and emailed the manager of the firm to ask is the job offer still open.

May just go and say to fig with it, as Proofreader says, It's time to think of ourselves, as this is a well paid job in Oz and may not come round again.
And when the house is sold then I will pay the debts, I will ring the card companies and tell them this is what is going to happen.
Whats the worst they can do?
I may just have to pay the mortgage for a few months until it sells.

Am I mad or what :scared: :scared:
GOOD ON YA DICKO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.