I'm back!!

Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Talking I'm back!!

Hi all those that remember me,

I'm sure there are a lot of newbies on here just just to remind the oldies and update the newbies. I was one of the panickers moving out here (Mandurah, WA) last year with a million questions about what I should do, where I should go, how would I feel, how will the kids cope and squillions of other impossible to answer questions. Well here we are and have been now for 6 months and 9 days and what a ball we are having.

I have 3 children 17, 15 and just turned 7, for those who remember me you will know that I had concerns about my teenagers and none whatsoever about the little one. It took the teenagers about 3 weeks to become Australian and never want to leave, there is not one thing they dislike about it. But believe it or nnot my 7 year old is only just settling, she really missed her friends form back home and although she has made a lot of friends here, they are not the ones she was born with and grew up with, we have ahd quite a few tears but they are usually just before bedtime so she just gets on the phone and calls them before sleep and we get a good night. (We have signed with AAPT which means our phine calls to UK are capped at $59 per month and we can talk as long as we like). Her tears are getting less and less now so it won't be long before she is completely at home. She also has a slight Australian accent already which is really amusing, particularly when someone calls from the UK her accent goes back to Devonian.

My husband is an electrician in the UK but has been having great difficulty trying to prove it over here. He has just sat a 4 hour exam which will hopefully allow him to have his licence, in the meantime he has been ceramic wall and floor tiling which seems to be quite a common thing to do here once you first arrive. The money is quite good and there is justoads and loads of work around. By the way tiling seems to be about the only thing you DON'T need a licence for. I came over here as a hairdresser and got a job straight away and hated it. I was there for 3 months and was very unhappy so I decided to do something completely different so I did a Real Estate course and am now employed in the Real Estate industry and have never been so happy in a job before in my life.

As for Australia so far, it is everything we dreamed it would be and more. It is not as cheap as we thought it would be but no dearer than the UK. Houses, new cars and petrol are cheaper but most other things seem to be on a par. You can get bargains if you hunt around but then you can in the UK too. The things I love about Aus, the climate, the taste of the fruit, veg and meat, the climate, the laid back attitude, the climate, the houses, the climate, the friends we have met, Oh! and did I mention the climate. The things I miss about the UK-chocolate and apart from the usual family and friends that really is it.

Sorry it's taken me 6 months to get on here but it has been one busy day after another since we arrived but now I'm back I intend to stay so if anyone need any help if I can help I will. Speak soon all and love to everyone.

Lindsey in Aus.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Re: I'm back!!

Hi there

Welcome back - and thanks for the update. I'm glad it is going well for you.

Just wondered if you have checked out www.skype.com - phonecalls are very cheap through this.

SS
Old Jun 10th 2005, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lindseyden

I'm sure there are a lot of newbies on here just just to remind the oldies and update the newbies. I was one of the panickers moving out here (Mandurah, WA) last year with a million questions about what I should do, where I should go, how would I feel, how will the kids cope and squillions of other impossible to answer questions. Well here we are and have been now for 6 months and 9 days and what a ball we are having.

I have 3 children 17, 15 and just turned 7, for those who remember me you will know that I had concerns about my teenagers and none whatsoever about the little one. It took the teenagers about 3 weeks to become Australian and never want to leave, there is not one thing they dislike about it. But believe it or nnot my 7 year old is only just settling, she really missed her friends form back home and although she has made a lot of friends here, they are not the ones she was born with and grew up with, we have ahd quite a few tears but they are usually just before bedtime so she just gets on the phone and calls them before sleep and we get a good night. (We have signed with AAPT which means our phine calls to UK are capped at $59 per month and we can talk as long as we like). Her tears are getting less and less now so it won't be long before she is completely at home. She also has a slight Australian accent already which is really amusing, particularly when someone calls from the UK her accent goes back to Devonian.

My husband is an electrician in the UK but has been having great difficulty trying to prove it over here. He has just sat a 4 hour exam which will hopefully allow him to have his licence, in the meantime he has been ceramic wall and floor tiling which seems to be quite a common thing to do here once you first arrive. The money is quite good and there is justoads and loads of work around. By the way tiling seems to be about the only thing you DON'T need a licence for. I came over here as a hairdresser and got a job straight away and hated it. I was there for 3 months and was very unhappy so I decided to do something completely different so I did a Real Estate course and am now employed in the Real Estate industry and have never been so happy in a job before in my life.

As for Australia so far, it is everything we dreamed it would be and more. It is not as cheap as we thought it would be but no dearer than the UK. Houses, new cars and petrol are cheaper but most other things seem to be on a par. You can get bargains if you hunt around but then you can in the UK too. The things I love about Aus, the climate, the taste of the fruit, veg and meat, the climate, the laid back attitude, the climate, the houses, the climate, the friends we have met, Oh! and did I mention the climate. The things I miss about the UK-chocolate and apart from the usual family and friends that really is it.

Sorry it's taken me 6 months to get on here but it has been one busy day after another since we arrived but now I'm back I intend to stay so if anyone need any help if I can help I will. Speak soon all and love to everyone.

Lindsey in Aus.

welcome back, hows the climate???? leanne.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Leanne

Having boasted, just a little, about the climate, we have just had the worst rain I have ever seen in my life and nit lasted a few days. But sun is shining now!

Lindsey
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:23 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi lindseyden, so glad to hear things are going well.

we will be returning to to sydney next year with 3 children also. it was interesting you saying that your 7 year old found it hard at first. when we went the first time we had tears from our daughter (7 at the time) because she missed her friends whom she had gone to nursery and started school with. she is really positive about going back though, so maybe it is just an awkward age. thankfully middle daughter will be 8, only just though so keeping fingers crossed she finds the change ok.

Louise
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:24 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lindsey

Great post, have sent you a PM
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:19 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Lindsey

What a great post. We are hoping to go Rockingham direction in january and I have been feeling very very jittery lately as a lot of people have been saying the South as no too nice and you need to head North of Perth. Don't think we can afford that

Your post is just what I needed to get me back on track Sending you some karma for cheering me up.

Anne
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

Great to hear news from one who is there and doing it! We all seem to be very hopefuls!!
Alot of people from Kent on this thread,im also from Kent.Are you all going to the Paddock Wood meet and where are you heading for in Aus?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:52 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda5
Great to hear news from one who is there and doing it! We all seem to be very hopefuls!!
Alot of people from Kent on this thread,im also from Kent.Are you all going to the Paddock Wood meet and where are you heading for in Aus?
Hi amanda, we are going to the paddock wood meet, sounds like it will be fun.
we are going to sydney early next year, what about you?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

We are hoping for Geelong-Victoria.At stage two-skills assessment so all still in the air-hasn't stopped me becoming addicted with anything to do with Aus! Not sure about the meet-we have three children so quite a handful.
Have you got your Visa?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:18 am
forever hopeful

We are hoping for Geelong-Victoria.At stage two-skills assessment so all still in the air-hasn't stopped me becoming addicted with anything to do with Aus! Not sure about the meet-we have three children so quite a handful.
Have you got your Visa?
we have 3 children as well, might bring them don't know yet. but if we do we can look harassed together
we have had our visas for about 3 years now. lived in Sydney then came back and now going back again (enter mad person rocking symbol)
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

[where abouts in Kent are you?

Must get off this site-before you know it the day has gone!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:21 am
forever hopeful

[where abouts in Kent are you?

Must get off this site-before you know it the day has gone!
welling.
i know what you mean, one day i will forget to pick the kids up from school
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:28 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Lindsey in Aus.
great post
i liked the bit about the kids settling. just rmbr the teens are one argument with their pals from not settling if they join in a big group and fall out with one of them. they feel as if they dont have the same bond with the others. if u know what i mean.
good luck to u all

soapy
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Lindsey in Aus.
Great post Lindsey.
Really pleased to hear that you have settled and are enjoying "the climate"!!!!!! .Great to hear that you have a job which you really enjoy.Good Luck for your husband's exams.
We came out to Mandurah back in Feb and really liked it looked at new builds etc.Went to visit our second Cousins at Halls Head.However we are taking our chances and moving to the Sunshine Coast,hubby hoping to start up his own business as we are worried about how long it might take to find work.He is a Butcher by trade and has been in the business years but I reckon he will have to sit exams and stuff until he can get started.
Really pleased to hear your children have settled too .
May I wish you all the best and hope it all continues to work out for you.Cheers
Dreamaway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.