I'm back

Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm back

Hi I've not been on for awhile, because we had a viurs on our computer almost as soon as we arrived in Australia.

We have been her nearly five weeks, and finding it ok. It's very different here, and we thank our selves lucky that we had family to stay with and to help us out.

We have had no real problems since we've been here, apart from transfering some money from England from one HSBC account to another it has been three weeks now and still nothing. so my advice would be to make sure you have you finances sorted before you arrive.

We have rented a house with a pool, at the moment is far to cold to swim in (although my children have). and we have bought a car, which we can't have until our money arrives from England, but luckily rather than us paying to hire a car again the car company have lent us one from the forecourt.

Our children have started school today. They look really good in their bright uniforms. (yellow and green). I did feel sad leaving them, but hopefully they will be fine and come home with news of new friends.

My husband started work last week, and is finding a bit hard going, it is very out dated here so he is back to using machines he used 15 years ago.

over all it's good here and beautiful. I just hope now the boys have started school , I will meet people. It's very quite and that is the time I will miss people and the familiarities back home. hopefully I will get a part-time job somewhere too.

My furniture arrives in 10 - 14 days, and I can't wait to get my home comforts. not sure where we are going to put everything. this is a bigger house, but I don't think I can talk my hubby into going in the Loft space there are just too many creepy crawlies in this country-so I don't blame him either.

Steph
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:40 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm back

Originally posted by stefian

My husband started work last week, and is finding a bit hard going, it is very out dated here so he is back to using machines he used 15 years ago.
Where is here.......Outer Mongolia perhaps. You cant mean anywhere in Australia. We have been here 6 weeks and find it to be a fantastic place. They even have a type of clothing here that doesnt stain or need ironing.....hardly 15 years in arrears!

I don't think I can talk my hubby into going in the Loft space there are just too many creepy crawlies in this country-so I don't blame him either.
There are no more creepy crawlies here than anywhere else in the world, the problem is because you dont recognise them, you think they are sinister in some way. PMA is whats required to make a success of this migration lark. Those with a PMA will make a good go of it..................those with a glass half empty outlook will end up going back to England saying Aus is crap. We only live once, take the bull by the horns and go for it.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

What's PMA?

my guess positive migrant attitiude or somthin similar.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Barrakuda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Stefian,

have you just moved to Brisbane or from Brisbane?
sorry for a silly question. We are planning to move to Bne soon, that's why I got so interested and wanted to ask a few more questions
Thanks
Tasha
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:16 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by CadburysFingers
Where is here.......Outer Mongolia perhaps. You cant mean anywhere in Australia. We have been here 6 weeks and find it to be a fantastic place. They even have a type of clothing here that doesnt stain or need ironing.....hardly 15 years in arrears!
The bit that says "Location: Brisbane" under her name may be a dead giveaway.
Just a thought.

She did mention in previous posts that where her and her family where headed, as well as making a delirious comment about supporting the Brisbane Bears.

Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

what side of the bed did you get out on chocolate fingers .I don't remember saying I didn't like Australia. It's a lovely place, just different and not in a bad way.

Yes I am in Brisbane, in a suburb called Algester, which is south of Brisbane CBD. it's a nice place, with a park and School nearby. They don't have corner shops here, they have small precincts. I can't wait to get our car because it's a little to far to walk with my shopping and everytime i walk back I get lost..... I have no sense of direction at all.

I'd kill for a local pub as well...... not seen one

Steph
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CadburysFingers
Where is here.......Outer Mongolia perhaps. You cant mean anywhere in Australia.
What a simplistic statement. And from someone who has been in Oz all of 6 weeks. You don't seriously believe that every town in Oz is bristling with modern technology, do you? If you do, you need to change your medication. For example, have you been to Lightning Ridge recently - 15 years in arrears would be a compliment!

There are no more creepy crawlies here than anywhere else in the world, the problem is because you dont recognise them, you think they are sinister in some way.
This has got to be a wind-up. And why do you think people might regard them as sinister? Call me strange, but I don't find funnel webs or red backs unsinister.
PMA is whats required to make a success of this migration lark. Those with a PMA will make a good go of it..................those with a glass half empty outlook will end up going back to England saying Aus is crap. We only live once, take the bull by the horns and go for it.
You also forgot that RE or NRTS are required - Realistic Expectations or No Rose-Tinted Spectacles

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jul 13th 2004 at 3:52 am.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

thanks mike, i thought i was the only one who thought chocolate finger was talking out of their bum. I agree you need PMA, of which I have loads, but noneone if invincible to an odd "off day" were they miss home comforts and the people and things they left behind.

What good is non creased clothing to a toolmaker, it's a modern machine he needs.

can anyone tell me how many insects we find in and around uk houses that kill? mmmmm my point exactly.

Having said that so far we love the country. finding the fact that at 24 degrees with not a cloud in the sky, and Australians are wearing jumpers, scarves and ugg boots, which are sheepskin! they turn to us and ask us if were cold!!!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mike, i thought i was the only one who thought chocolate finger was talking out of their bum.
No worries

It's CadburyFingers type of attitude that could up the stress level of new migrants by making them think "Oh, what's wrong with us. We love it, but it's not perfect"

I hope it all works out well for you and your family.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:20 am
Just Joined

I'm glad you are enjoying your new place, I couldn't find Algester on the map though...must be a bad map I'm using, or, the same as you are, I've got no sense of direction and can't quite locate things on the map :-((
We'll be joing in soon (in August), still so many things to be organised and sorted before we move.
It's good to see so many people moving to brisbane, already moved and enjoying it. We hope we'll like it too.

T.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Barrakuda
I'm glad you are enjoying your new place, I couldn't find Algester on the map though...must be a bad map I'm using, or, the same as you are, I've got no sense of direction and can't quite locate things on the map :-((
We'll be joing in soon (in August), still so many things to be organised and sorted before we move.
It's good to see so many people moving to brisbane, already moved and enjoying it. We hope we'll like it too.

T.
Stef
Glad to hear all is well.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up

hi barrakuda

Algester is near Rochedale, Acacia Ridge, Sunnybank. The insurance company have just said there are no requirements for alarms or window locks, it's a good area. , so thats nice to know. where are you looking to move to?

Steph
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:46 am
o_0

what side of the bed did you get out on chocolate fingers .I don't remember saying I didn't like Australia. It's a lovely place, just different and not in a bad way.

Yes I am in Brisbane, in a suburb called Algester, which is south of Brisbane CBD. it's a nice place, with a park and School nearby. They don't have corner shops here, they have small precincts. I can't wait to get our car because it's a little to far to walk with my shopping and everytime i walk back I get lost..... I have no sense of direction at all.

I'd kill for a local pub as well...... not seen one

Steph

The Calamvale Hotel is just down Beaudesert Rd from Algester. No, I wouldn't want to walk it, however. It's a fair hike.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:50 am
o_0

Originally posted by Barrakuda

T.
Algester!
Attached Thumbnails I'm back-brissubs11.gif  
Old Jul 13th 2004, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks Steph, I realised I'm using the wrong map. I need a good map of Brisbane + suburbs in order to get used to all these new names and places, but my map doesn't show all the suburbs.
It's hard to say which place we will be looking at, I know so little about all the locations. I've just started reading your forum, what people say about different places, very useful indeed. We will have to stay in a B&B type of place for the first week or so, then find a rental place for the next 6 months and then will be able to buy something. Just like some other people I read in a different topic. Same plans. I will also have to look for an office space for the company I'll be with. This will be a total nightmare, to try to do a thousand things at a time in an unknown country, but I'm an optimist, we'll survive and then we'll definitely go to a pub together to celebrate right?

Thanks for the map Ulujain, BTW do you have such map in a downloadable version? Unfortunately I can't buy any maps here 9I'm in Saigon now) and won't be able to until I move, so I'd love to have a good map that I could download now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.